Quantcast Feeling dumb explain baggage fees to me?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Feeling dumb explain baggage fees to me?

Since I fly southwest all the time and if you read my previous post about the cost of the flights I am considering another airline. I can get a flight on us airways for 503.00 for 4 of us plus the cost of baggage. Now it says 25.00 for the first bag per person and 35.00 for the second bag, got it 100.00 for 4 of us. Now here is my question, is the second bag an additional 35$ on top of the 25$ ? For the first or is it an additional 10$ for the second bag? so my Dh and I could take 2 bags each and the girls would hav no bags and it would cost 70$ saving us 30$?
    I have read it a couple of times and I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around this?
    Please someone explain
    Thanks!
    Dana
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    Upcoming trips
    March 2013 for Garden Festival
    October 2013 Food and Wine!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's $25 for the first bag and an additional $35 for the second bag for a total of $60 for two bags. Also remember that you pay the fees each way.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband has been flying weekly for quite a while now. He LOATHES checking luggage so he only does carry-ons. The whole family will be flying soon so this question helps me.

One trick I'm going to use is taking advantage of the 2 carry-ons per person, allowed. I'm hoping I'll only need to check one bag for the whole family, because of this.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

You want to check a bag for each person $25 x 4 = $100. If you do 2 people with two bags, it would be $60 each or $120 in baggage fees.

As mentioned, it's each way, and airline check-in at the resort needs it pre-paid on your return trip, so make sure you get that done. They will require a receipt, or you're going to need to take your own bags.

I'd fly Southwest if they are anywhere near the other fare plus luggage fees. In your case, your different airline needs to be at least $200 less round trip (if you can manage with one bag each).

Post Thanks / Like

Also, overweight bags will require additional fees, so make sure not to overstuff. Each person gets one bag at $25 and the next for $35 as DizneyRox says. So four people, four bags- $100. But four people, six bags- $170 (four at $25, two at $35). It makes sense to carry on as much as possible, but there are regulations on size there as well. Just check the airline standards, stay within their guidelines, and you will be fine.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

So what about the airlines that say 1st bag free? Is this per person or just 1 bag is free and you have to pay say for the other 3? Party that is flying is 7 people.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferS. View Post
    So what about the airlines that say 1st bag free? Is this per person or just 1 bag is free and you have to pay say for the other 3? Party that is flying is 7 people.
    That's per person. For example, my husband and I recently flew Jet Blue - they offer the first bag free. We checked two bags and brought two carry-ons with us (one for each of us).

Although magicofdisney mentions that 2 carry-ons are allowed per person, that is not exactly true. Typically, airlines allows each passenger to bring ONE carry-on bag and ONE personal item - like a purse, camera bag, or laptop.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Although magicofdisney mentions that 2 carry-ons are allowed per person, that is not exactly true. Typically, airlines allows each passenger to bring ONE carry-on bag and ONE personal item - like a purse, camera bag, or laptop.
    This is true. They prefer carry-ons that fit beneath the seat vs overhead, and they do sometimes (often) ask passengers to check larger carry-ons at the gate. Carry on is a hassle for me. I generally prefer checking bags, even if I have to pay extra. My husband does a lot of business travel and prefers to carry on.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

You guys can't read my mind? When I said 2 carry-ons I meant a true carry-on and a backpack. This is how my husband travels and I expect we'll do the same for our family trip. In my mind, if you carry it on the plane, it is a carry-on (backpack, purse, camera bag, etc.)
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I found a pretty good chart that shows most of the fees charged by the airlines; it was updated in January '11, and might not be totally accurate now, so always check the website of the airline you're considering for the most up-to-date info.
    Last edited by Ed; 06-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    You guys can't read my mind? When I said 2 carry-ons I meant a true carry-on and a backpack. This is how my husband travels and I expect we'll do the same for our family trip. In my mind, if you carry it on the plane, it is a carry-on (backpack, purse, camera bag, etc.)
    Your backpack would be considered your carry on. As previously mentioned the 2nd carry on is a small purse, camera bag or laptop. There are also dimension and weight restrictions for the carry on. Some airlines do measure and weigh them so be prepared. We flew US Airways this last time and some people were told that they had to check what the passenger thought would be considered a carry on.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    Your backpack would be considered your carry on. As previously mentioned the 2nd carry on is a small purse, camera bag or laptop. There are also dimension and weight restrictions for the carry on. Some airlines do measure and weigh them so be prepared. We flew US Airways this last time and some people were told that they had to check what the passenger thought would be considered a carry on.
    Well, my husband flies every single week with US Airways, Delta or SW. He always has a backpack and carry-on piece.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I found a pretty good chart that shows most of the fees charged by the airlines; it was updated in January '11, and might not be totally accurate now, so always check the website of the airline you're considering for the most up-to-date info.
    Thanks for that info. My husband has gold status so our checked luggage is free, but we still must abide by the weight limits. I wasn't sure what those were until now.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    As long as one of the bags fits under the seat in front of you, there aren't usually restrictions. When I fly I generally take one rolling carry on and a laptop bag or toiletry/duffle bag (big enough to fit all toiletries, flat iron, 1-2 changes of clothes) that is pretty substantial in size. I've never had anyone say anything to me, even on packed flights, because the duffle fits under the seat in front of me. Backpacks can qualify as long as they fit the dimension and weight reqs and fit under the seat.
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just really glad the airlines didn't follow Spirit Airlines ridiculous policy of also charging for carry-on bags. It's bad enough most of them charge for checked bags.

Any chance we get, we fly Southwest or JetBlue because they don't try to milk you with those extra fees under the guise of paying for bags that they know most people will have with them for their travels.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: