Quantcast Space shuttle launch

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Space shuttle launch

Are there any locations I can drive too so I can get a good view of the space shuttle launch. I would like to avoid heavy traffic if possible?
    Gareth șoșwen

DVC Member - My Home Resorts: AKV

Previous visits:
    1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2005, DLParis 2006, 2007, 2008 AKV, 2011 Baylake & AKV, 2011 Saratoga, 2013 AKV & Saratoga, 2014 Saratoga & Keywest, 2015 Keywest & Saratoga, 2016 COMING SOON

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good luck ! !

My wife and I drove to Cocoa Beach , on feb. 24th, to watch the final Discovery launch. We had a good spot, along with 5,000 other people, and the lift off was great, BUT it was total grid lock, trying to leave the area. It was bumper to bumper traffic on rt 528, so much that they shut down the toll plaza, so it wouldn't cause more of a back up. What would have been a 60 minute drive was 2-1/2 hour drive back to Orlando. Maybe somebody, who is a resident might give you some hints....
    ASmu SEPT. 1996
    ASmu SEPT. 2003
    POP DEC. 2004
    ASmu SEPT. 2005
    ASmu SEPT. 2006 40TH WEDDING ANNIV.
    MNSSHP SEPT. 22
    ILLUMINATIONS CRUISE SEPT. 23
    SEPT. 25 CALIFORNIA GRILL
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    ASmu FEB. 2011 RETIREMENT CELEBRATION
    ASmu April 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Can't really help you but I am glad we got to see a Shuttle launch before the program retires this year, it was one of the most awesome things we have ever experienced. We went to the Kennedy Space Center to watch it and man was traffic bad to get in but worth it to see it that close.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Avoiding heavy traffic after the launch will be a substantial challenge. If you are willing to just see the launch, but not up close, you can do so from WDW property.

My only experience of it was in the Magic Kingdom. If you stand on the hub side of the bridge into Adventureland, just north of the main walkway (north is toward the castle and away from the entrance turnstiles) you will be able to see the shuttle rising just to the left of Space Mountain.

If you are willing to stand where the launch won't be quite as visible, if you stand outside of the Crystal Palace, near the north end of the building, the shuttle will appear to rise up from directly behind Space Mountain, which is pretty cool in my book!

If you are in Epcot, I suppose you could stand somewhere near the breezeway through Innovations East and see the shuttle rising from behind Mission: Space, also quite appropriate I would say. (But I have never tried watching a launch from Epcot, so I don't know exactly where one would need to stand to get the angles just right.)

Keep in mind that for trips to the ISS, the shuttle departs in a north-westerly direction after departing KSC, so the flight path will be mostly upwards, but also a bit right to left (as you are looking east) and not just strait away from you.

I wish I could find a smilie wearing aviator style sunglasses to insert here, but I can't, so a helium balloon will have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

We drove over from Poinciana for the last shuttle launch. We went a bunch of back roads and ended up just south of Cocoa Beach in a community called Rockledge. There was a tiny county park with a pier that about 30 people were on. Parking was on the side of the road and was free! The only traffic we had was when we reached St Cloud on the way back.

From Poinciana we wound through Kissimmee and St Cloud on 441/192 (wouldn't do that again) to Nova Rd/532. That took us all the way up to 520, which takes you to Cocoa and Merritt Island. We then took a right off of 520 after we went under I 95, since traffic was backing up. Found our way to Barton Blvd which took us to Rt 1. We were several miles from the launch, but had a clear view over the water and saw the shuttle within seconds of liftoff.

There is an app for the iPhone that shows you the countdown clock. I think it was $1, but that was part of the fun as well.
    Everybody has a Laughing Place, a Laughing Place to go oh oh. Take that frown and turn it upside down, and you'll find yours we know oh oh.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a good view AND avoiding traffic are going to be mutually exclusive. With only two launches left more and more people want to see them. I'm going over next week for the Friday launch as long as it doesn't get scrubbed and I'm planning to not even attempt to move the truck for at least 3 hrs after the launch. I'll bring the fishing rods, a cooler and make a long (6 AM to 7 PM) day of it.

As a PP mentioned, you can find areas 10+ miles from the launch site where you might not fight too much traffic getting home but if you want any kind of prime viewing location you have to be prepared to wait.

Post Thanks / Like

We accidently caught a launch a couple years go from EPCOT. We were back near the bakery in the French Pavilion gettins some food before Illuminations. We heard this great rumbling noise and I was trying to figure out why the fireworks were so early. Looked across the water and slowly watch the space shuttle go up into the air and curve away. I wish I had checked that trip to see if a shuttle was launching (I know check all launch schedules before going). Hopefully something will be going up this December during our trip.

Post Thanks / Like

The 135th and final Space Shuttle mission is scheduled for this summer (July). Don't know what will be going up after that.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

You might be able to go anywhere on the central to north east coast of Florida. I live in Jacksonville in the northeast and we have been able to see the shuttle liftoffs after about 20 seconds after launch. Mostly it's a vapor trail but when the shuttle turns the sun shines off it. For the last shuttle I'm going to see if I can get to Daytona in time, I also have to work that day.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be seen From I-4 as well. Most cars park right on the shoulder. Best place we have found was right next to the Rt535 exit at Downtown Disney.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: