Quantcast Are EMH nights maybe worth avoiding?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Post Are EMH nights maybe worth avoiding?

Hello! I haven't been on the boards in a few years and im excited to be back! So here's what im thinking.. Ill be returning to the world this october, and I was wondering from peoples experience if its better to go to EMH nights, or avoid them in terms of crowds and line waits. If there aren't as many people in the parks being that its supposed to be the slower period, do you think everyone who's there would flock to EMH nights, or would I be safe to ride my faves over and over and over.. and over :P
    Best Place Ever. I don't want to grow up.
    Wilderness Lodge (fave)-'95, '01, '02, '06, '08
    '93 - Wilson World
    '97 - AS Sports
    '03 - Old KW
    '05 - AS Movies
    '07 - POP
    '08 - A House w Fam (Not bad!)
    Oct 2011 - POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

actually for me, the extra hours at night at the best. when the regular crowds leave, and then a lot of people who are resort guests plan to stay late, wear themselves out and leave....a lot of times the parks are not crowded at all....
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely worth it. Besides, not everybody knows the rules, knows what EMH is to begin with. We're actually in a minority, we who know this stuff. For example, ever try to give away a Fastpass? People think you're nuts or don't believe you're not trying to take advantage of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the EMH. We never really had much of a wait on anything, and as the night goes on the lines get shorter and shorter !!!!!
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely worth it, especially if you're willing to close the park. It generally takes about an hour to get all the non-resort people out, but after that, the lines die way down, and by the last hour, there's typically no line at all. We've done October for our last two trips, and Epcot is especially well worth it during EMH.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it's definitely worth it. A lot of people don't even know about it, so there is a noticeable drop in guests once EMH starts. However, just make sure if you're doing the night time EMH you pace yourself throughout the day. We did Magic Kingdom EMH one time, so the park was open until midnight, and we were just SO exhausted from cramming everything in early!
    If we can dream it, then we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's most assuredly worth it to ride your faves over and over and over....
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

To me the only bad park to do evening EMH is Disney Studios. Long, long lines for ToT and RNRC. Its still nice but I'd say the crowds are worse than regular hours for that place. MK is ok but still has long lines for SM, although October won't be as bad as summer. The best part about EMH is the longer it goes, the shorter the lines get. By the last hour almost everything can be a walk on.

If you want some different advice, go to the park that had evening EMH the following morning, as that tends to have the smallest crowds since everyone was there late the night before.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Definitely worth it. Besides, not everybody knows the rules, knows what EMH is to begin with. We're actually in a minority, we who know this stuff. For example, ever try to give away a Fastpass? People think you're nuts or don't believe you're not trying to take advantage of them.
    Thanks to everyone for the advice! I especially loved this one for the simple reason that during my trip to the WL in 08 me and my DGF at the time were given golden fastpasses to DHS and when we tried to pass them along after we had only used it for ToT the first two people we tried to give them too ran away scared!! So funny.

So EMH it is for me. I appreciate all the feedback, and cant wait to walk through my favorite parts of each park in their most peaceful hour
    Best Place Ever. I don't want to grow up.
    Wilderness Lodge (fave)-'95, '01, '02, '06, '08
    '93 - Wilson World
    '97 - AS Sports
    '03 - Old KW
    '05 - AS Movies
    '07 - POP
    '08 - A House w Fam (Not bad!)
    Oct 2011 - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to avoid the early EMH instead of the late. I can get major shopping and riding done at night. It's a much more relaxing experience to shop with less people around. Also you can score great night pictures with less people around.

Post Thanks / Like

WE don't avoid them at all. We love the all parks after dark, and the MK is especially magical after dark. As the EMH goes on, crowds get thinner and unless you are visiting at a peak time of year, we have found most rides become basically walk-on attractions late in the last hour or so.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post

If you want some different advice, go to the park that had evening EMH the following morning, as that tends to have the smallest crowds since everyone was there late the night before.
    Interesting thought. Does this seem to hold true from experience?
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

In all of our years of going to WDW, we have never done the evening EMH, only mornings. Do you have to show your room key and get a special bracelet still?
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjmdds View Post
    Interesting thought. Does this seem to hold true from experience?
    We did it based on the advice of Touring Plans. It did work for us, but we made it to the park right at opening. If you look at their advice this the 'morning after' park is usually their park of choice that day. I do think it makes a difference, although if you get to any park at opening you will have good luck for the most part.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I never go to morning EMH, and I avoid the park that has it for the early part of the day. I always do the evening EMH. They are great!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    WE don't avoid them at all. We love the all parks after dark, and the MK is especially magical after dark. As the EMH goes on, crowds get thinner and unless you are visiting at a peak time of year, we have found most rides become basically walk-on attractions late in the last hour or so.
    Sometimes we even go to night EMH if it's crowded just because we love WDW at night so much.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dream'nDisney View Post
    In all of our years of going to WDW, we have never done the evening EMH, only mornings. Do you have to show your room key and get a special bracelet still?
    Last time we did it they changed the policy and didn't give out bracelets anymore. The new policy was to show your room card when getting on each ride. Kind of a pain but I remember that a couple nights after about an hour into EMH they stopped asking for the cards because presumably everyone that wasn't a resort guest had been herded out of the park.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I really enjoy the EMH nights... I just avoid the parks that are having them during the day (usually...). I haven't found the lines to be very long, and it's nice to be in the parks with less people, even if I do end up waiting a little bit, the ambience is nicer than the nights when it is still packed.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We go during the value season & always do EMH's. At that time of year the parks are almost empty & you can really take advantage of this bonus. Getting on Splash Mountain, BTMRR, & Space Mountain with no line at all is the best.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    To me the only bad park to do evening EMH is Disney Studios. Long, long lines for ToT and RNRC. Its still nice but I'd say the crowds are worse than regular hours for that place. MK is ok but still has long lines for SM, although October won't be as bad as summer. The best part about EMH is the longer it goes, the shorter the lines get. By the last hour almost everything can be a walk on.

I agree! Hollywood studios isn't worth it for us during extra evening hours. Toy story wait will be 90 minutes regardless!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: