Quantcast Baseless Rumour, Hope not true

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Baseless Rumour, Hope not true

Hello all,
    I was just trying to get a review on Sony's newist blu ray dvd player. Among updates on Electronics, they have industry news. Heres is what they had that I hope is not true, and apple just sticks to its own. It is a rather short article, but here it is anyway. It is all so from Reuters.

Helping to spark the speculation was a Saturday report in Barron’s that said cash-rich Apple could be contemplating a big acquisition and noted speculation about Adobe, Sony and Disney as potential targets. Sony spokeswoman Sue Tanaka said: “We cannot comment on rumors or speculation.” Sony shares closed up 0.7 percent at 2,742 yen after climbing as high as 2,804 yen. Trading volume was 17.61 million shares, the highest since July 30, the day after the company surprised the market with a quarterly profit and raised its full-year profit outlook.
    Last edited by Ian; 11-25-2010 at 09:07 AM.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Jobs is already Disney's Largest Stockholder and on the Board so I wouldn't be surprised.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Stupid

That was the most stupid thing Disney did to agree to that deal with Jobs. I hope Disney and the other stock holders won't make another mistake by accepting anything from Apple. If Apple would completely take over, I can see Walt's dream not being kept alive. Is there a correct address or email to write to Disney about this??

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it isn't true. We will not be getting Aps anymore if that's the case. Apple is just wrong!!!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldkid View Post
    That was the most stupid thing Disney did to agree to that deal with Jobs. I hope Disney and the other stock holders won't make another mistake by accepting anything from Apple. If Apple would completely take over, I can see Walt's dream not being kept alive. Is there a correct address or email to write to Disney about this??
    Or any emails for Bob Iger

Post Thanks / Like

How would Apple purchasing Disney be such a bad thing? They are innovative and set a very high standard for their products.

From what I have read it doesn't seem like it would be a good fit but they have a boatload of cash that as a shareholder I would like to either be paid it as a dividend or put to a good use.

Post Thanks / Like

Amateur Arm chair analysis of this rumor: I can't see Apple buying Disney, it just doesn't make sense, and wouldn't really seem to hold any real intrinsic value for them that they don't already have a big interest in and ability to capitalize on already. I mean, what possible does Disney possess that would benefit Apple? Unless they want greater access to their movie library. As for Sony, I can't see much there either, except maybe for their media, including music and movies, which Apple could then have greater control of for licensing and distribution purposes. As for Adobe, I can't see anything at all there that would be of significant benefit to Apple.

That's just my 2 cents. In truth, I know nothing, I'm an amateur investor who's only had a moderate level of success in my own investments.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Don't really get the hostility towards Jobs and/or Apple. They're a company that believes in upholding the highest standards. You may not like their product and that's fine, but I'll take their dedication to being the best over Bob Iger's Disney any day of the week.

The only thing Disney cares about these days is making the biggest buck possible. I mean, in case you haven't noticed "Walt's dream" has been dead for about 30 years now.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Don't really get the hostility towards Jobs and/or Apple. They're a company that believes in upholding the highest standards. You may not like their product and that's fine, but I'll take their dedication to being the best over Bob Iger's Disney any day of the week.

The only thing Disney cares about these days is making the biggest buck possible. I mean, in case you haven't noticed "Walt's dream" has been dead for about 30 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I remember Eisner's Disney being a little bit worse, but yeah, I don't think it ever really mattered. The REAL Disney magic died when Walt himself died...

Post Thanks / Like

Put me down as another person that doesn't understand any anti-Jobs sentiment. The man works hard to deliver quality goods with a design worthy of pieces of modern art. You aren't just buying a black box computer, or black box monitor, or black box mp3 player, from those guys. They are selling you an entire package. That is something to aspire to, not disdain.

Frankly, I have been disappointed to not feel a sense of his involvement in Disney up to this point (of course, the Pixar people are his people, so he is having an impact by proxy that way). Disney should be begging for some Apple insight into the future-oriented lands (Tomorrowland/Discoveryland and certainly Future World), as they seem to have lost the plot themselves.

I cannot see Apple buying Disney. They have their hands full with their regular business. I would like to see them more involved in places like Innoventions. They could really spruce that place up with some wonderful interactive areas with just their current technology (wouldn't even need to invent anything new to instantly improve that place!).

Post Thanks / Like

If Apple buys Disney all the colors of the parks will be changed to white and silver. Mickey Ears logos will be replaced by White Apple logos.

Everyone will have to show proof of purchase of an IPod/IPad/Macbook to gain access to the parks.

None of the rides will work properly and Steve Jobs will put the blame on us saying, "The people aren't riding the rides correctly."

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking there is no way Apple could afford to buy Disney. I mean, it's not everyday a company in the DJIA gets bought by one that isn't (unless the government is buying it .) But I looked at the balance sheets. In '07 Disney was worth $30B and Apple was $15B. Now Disney is $37 B and Apple is $45B. Wow, that's some growth.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see this as a bad thing at all, Jobs is an idealist and while yes his ideas with Apple are not neccessarily in line with Disney I don't think he would change that much. In fact I imagine he would do more to furthur things in the movie arena and retail than the parks. Also in this economy he has gone to great lengths to drive up Apple profits, Disney maybe able to use those ideas. Looking at the other companies mentioned I am also leaning toward Sony for the aquisition so they could start getting in on the 3d technology end of things. I just don't get the people who hate the man because they don't like a product.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve Jobs running it would be better than Bill Gates running it - and I'm a PC guy.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    steve jobs running it would be better than bill gates running it - and i'm a pc guy.
    :d
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not at all sure where you got your numbers from but Apple's market cap today is $289 Billion and they have $55 Billion in cash or cash equivalents. Disney's market cap today is $70 Billion in total. Even with a buyer's premium to get shareholder approval you might pay $90 Billion at most for Disney. I still don't see it happening or why it would make sense for Apple to do it, but they certainly could afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I was thinking there is no way Apple could afford to buy Disney. I mean, it's not everyday a company in the DJIA gets bought by one that isn't (unless the government is buying it .) But I looked at the balance sheets. In '07 Disney was worth $30B and Apple was $15B. Now Disney is $37 B and Apple is $45B. Wow, that's some growth.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know nothing about the stock market or acquisitions, nor do I know what market cap is, but I do know something about financial statements. The info I got was from Forbes and Marketwatch. Those numbers are the total equity (assets less liabilities,) which, for my money, is what a company is worth (of course there are other things like goodwill.)

And if you read my post again, I said "was thinking" as in past tense.
    Last edited by Ian; 11-25-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Market Cap is Market Capitalization. It is the number of shares a company has outstanding multiplied by the current price of the stock. A company's share price is not based on current net worth, it is based on a number of factors including the expected future earnings of the company. If Apple wanted to buy all the stock in Disney they would need to pay the current share price of the company plus a premium to entice the current shareholders to sell. That is why I suggested that at a current Market Cap of $70 Billion it would likely take closer to $90 Billion to make the deal happen.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: