Quantcast When to take a seat? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression that standing on buses is standard procedure world wide. There are overhead bars, overhead loops and the upright bars or seatbacks for us vertically challenged. It is lovely to sit, not a necessity for most. I have also seen people try to stand without hold on. That is not standard or safe. You might fall on someone.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started this post, I had no idea what it would become. I truly wanted to know what is the general etiquette. I have no bus experience outside of WDW. I have been on so few buses worldwide that I can count them on my hands. I have rode metros and a few trams and lots of trains. The buses at WDW seem different to them. I enjoy an adult beverage at the parks or resorts. I will not drive after having just one beer. I do like the idea of the bus system at WDW. I just wanted to know if there were things I could do or should do to make the experience less stressful and more comfortable.

I thank you all for your input and sharing your opinions.

P.S. Public transportation where I live now is; hopping on the back of a 4-wheeler. No standing allowed.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

I generally stand on the bus regardless and am grateful that I can. A few years ago, I wasn't able to. I was one of the people boarding in a wheelchair.
    I have seen many people put small children in their own seat, and I wondered why they didn't hold them in their lap so that more people could get on the bus.
    I don't understand the "we will wait for the next bus so we can get a seat" mentality. If you're standing in line to wait for the next bus, why not just stand on the bus that is already on its way to the resort. Can someone who does this enlighten me?
    On our last trip, Dave and I would smile and joke about all the guys standing and holding the strollers while the moms had the kids in seats. Some of the guys looked like they were ready to fall over too but sucked it up and kept going. One night I had to use one of the seats. I was by the window, and Dave stood in the aisle next to me. A lady with three young children got on and let the three children take the seats while she stood. The three children fell asleep and the girl next to me kept sliding out of her chair. Dave stood with his hip holding her up while the mom held the other two in place. It is rough with small children.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
    It's theme park transportation, not a subway comute. No one should feel compelled to give up their seat, and no one should feel entitled to get someone else's seat. If you have three kids and two strollers, rent a car. If you're disabled, rent a car or an ECV, and you'll have a guaranteed seat. If you can't stand for 15 minutes at a time, rent a car or get a taxi! If you're morally superior and feel everyone else is rude, please rent a car or stay home.
    Not everyone can afford to rent an EVC or rent a car so we are at the mercy of the bus system. Yes I am an eldery person and have a bad knee. The problem too many people have lost manners and respect for one another. If one would offer me a seat I would be very thankful but the problem would be solved if Disney would make it policy that there be NO standing on buses.
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
    It's theme park transportation, not a subway comute. No one should feel compelled to give up their seat, and no one should feel entitled to get someone else's seat. If you have three kids and two strollers, rent a car. If you're disabled, rent a car or an ECV, and you'll have a guaranteed seat. If you can't stand for 15 minutes at a time, rent a car or get a taxi! If you're morally superior and feel everyone else is rude, please rent a car or stay home.
    wow. I couldn't disagree more. Why should guests have to rent a car when there are buses available for their families to use? Is there a limit to the number of your children you can bring with you on the bus or something? Can you imagine? "Bye DS (4-years and the oldest), we'll see you back at the resort sweetie! Can you remember which hotel we're at?? That's right - the one with the pretty lights. ok! See you there". I don't think that would work well somehow.

I am one of those with children (who rides the bus) and contrary to the quote above - I don't plan on renting a car just because I have kids.
    I also agree that riding public transportation at home - is much much different than riding public transportation at WDW - so you're really comparing apples and oranges there. I take the bus and/or train where I live and standing on a bus/train for 45 minutes into or out of the city is a daily occurrance.

Eiquette:

Just be glad you can stand (if you can) and if you can't - wait for the next bus or kindly ask someone if you could have their seat b/c you have problem-x. Worst case scenario, let the driver know you're having a problem.

If you're standing - try not to shove your shopping bag or purse in the face of the person sitting in front of you.

If you can stand with no problems - offer a seat to someone who may be older, disabled, pregnant or toting small children

And goodness if you end up standing - be thankful you can stand instead of being someone who actually NEEDS to sit!

Its just a bus! Not the end of the world!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PinKy View Post
    wow. I couldn't disagree more. Why should guests have to rent a car when there are buses available for their families to use? Is there a limit to the number of your children you can bring with you on the bus or something? Can you imagine? "Bye DS (4-years and the oldest), we'll see you back at the resort sweetie! Can you remember which hotel we're at?? That's right - the one with the pretty lights. ok! See you there". I don't think that would work well somehow.

I am one of those with children (who rides the bus) and contrary to the quote above - I don't plan on renting a car just because I have kids.
    I also agree that riding public transportation at home - is much much different than riding public transportation at WDW - so you're really comparing apples and oranges there. I take the bus and/or train where I live and standing on a bus/train for 45 minutes into or out of the city is a daily occurrance.

Eiquette:

Just be glad you can stand (if you can) and if you can't - wait for the next bus or kindly ask someone if you could have their seat b/c you have problem-x. Worst case scenario, let the driver know you're having a problem.

If you're standing - try not to shove your shopping bag or purse in the face of the person sitting in front of you.

If you can stand with no problems - offer a seat to someone who may be older, disabled, pregnant or toting small children

And goodness if you end up standing - be thankful you can stand instead of being someone who actually NEEDS to sit!

Its just a bus! Not the end of the world!

lol well put
    Dec 2010~Pop Century
    May 2008~Coronado Springs
    Sep 2005~Port Orleans(fq)
    Oct 2003~LBV
    April 2001~Allstar Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    ...I don't understand the "we will wait for the next bus so we can get a seat" mentality. If you're standing in line to wait for the next bus, why not just stand on the bus that is already on its way to the resort. Can someone who does this enlighten me?
    I'd love to... if you are someone who suffers from a joint disorder in your legs like arthritis, fibromyalgia or like myself, lupus, there is a significant difference between standing in a stationary position and one which is moving. While it can be difficult for me to stand still in one place longer than say 10 minutes, I can do it, painful but I can do it. When you add motion to the equation, esp. side-to-side or back and forth it is very difficult for me to keep my balance due to extreme pain, cramps and muscle weakness. I've thought about using a scooter or wheel chair but then I would have to deal with people's remarks about how I appear to be able-bodied and the scooter takes up too many seats.

Now my question for you: Why does it bother you that someone would rather stay in a safer environment for them (standing still as opposed to trying to balance while moving) and wait for the next bus? This allows people who have no issue standing to pass me and get on the current bus, shouldn't this make you happy?

Seems like no matter what I do I can't please everyone -- tory
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Grandmom's house in St. Augustine - 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    July '12 POFQ

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Feb '13 Cars family suite!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTory View Post
    I'd love to... if you are someone who suffers from a joint disorder in your legs like arthritis, fibromyalgia or like myself, lupus, there is a significant difference between standing in a stationary position and one which is moving. While it can be difficult for me to stand still in one place longer than say 10 minutes, I can do it, painful but I can do it. When you add motion to the equation, esp. side-to-side or back and forth it is very difficult for me to keep my balance due to extreme pain, cramps and muscle weakness. I've thought about using a scooter or wheel chair but then I would have to deal with people's remarks about how I appear to be able-bodied and the scooter takes up too many seats.

Now my question for you: Why does it bother you that someone would rather stay in a safer environment for them (standing still as opposed to trying to balance while moving) and wait for the next bus? This allows people who have no issue standing to pass me and get on the current bus, shouldn't this make you happy?

Seems like no matter what I do I can't please everyone -- tory
    It doesn't bother me. Why did you think it did? I was just curious what the difference was. Thank you for explaining.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unsafe

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    ...I don't understand the "we will wait for the next bus so we can get a seat" mentality. If you're standing in line to wait for the next bus, why not just stand on the bus that is already on its way to the resort. Can someone who does this enlighten me?
    Sure, I'd be glad to try.

The bus this past Sunday night was crazy packed with the driver insisting we make two standing rows down the isle.

I found myself holding a small child with one arm with his arms around my neck while I held the strap connected to the overhead bar with the other hand. Then, as the bus whiped around turn after turn I prayed to every diety I had ever heard of that I would not lose my grip on the hand strap or the child resulting in possible injury to us or the siting passengers we would fall on.

Deciding to stand under those conditions was an unsafe choice.

...and all the while this ride was going on I swear I was remembering this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

I am handicapped and have a fused spine from top to bottom with lots of metal hardware which causes a lot of stress on my hips and back muscles which make it very hard to stand any length of time especially on a moving vehicle. I sit unless there is another obviously handicapped person or pregnant woman or lady with a baby that no one gives up their seat for. So please, sit. And I appreciate all you parents who are teaching your youngsters the spirit of giving. I see a lot of teens nowadays who don't even notice the distress of others.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Sure, I'd be glad to try.

The bus this past Sunday night was crazy packed with the driver insisting we make two standing rows down the isle.

I found myself holding a small child with one arm with his arms around my neck while I held the strap connected to the overhead bar with the other hand. Then, as the bus whiped around turn after turn I prayed to every diety I had ever heard of that I would not lose my grip on the hand strap or the child resulting in possible injury to us or the siting passengers we would fall on.

Deciding to stand under those conditions was an unsafe choice.

...and all the while this ride was going on I swear I was remembering this thread!
    Thanks for the point of view.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: