Quantcast Pick a Pearl at Epcot - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads-up, most pearl jewelry is not made to get wet. Pearls that are set on a post (most pearl jewelry aside from strins of pearls or cage set items) and they are fastened to that post with a type of glue. It is important to let the glue set before wearing the recommended amount of time so that it hardens and holds. Seeing as how moisture can loosen the setting, rings are not the best setting for a pearl unless it is a special occasion ring not planned for everyday wear. Sprays, cologne, lotions, etc. are not good for pearls, put them on last. Your natural body oils are fine, sometimes useful at helping them keep their luster, but the stuff we spritze, rub, and spray all over us have chemicals that will break-down the layers of your pearl.

My girls saved for quite awhile to get a pearl at Epcot. My oldest ended up with a lovely silver-gray pearl and my middle gal snagged a huge (8.5mm if memory serves me right...they didn't have bags labeled for that size) creamy white pearl. The silver one was set on a gold drop pendant and we had the white one put in a cage setting. They have had them for a couple years now and they are still as beautiful as the day they got them If my memory is right, my oldest had saved around $45 and the next in line saved around $35. We had chains at home and knew they would need to set awhile anyway, not having a chain removed the temptation to go ahead and wear them before their 48 hour rest.
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovinmesomedisney View Post
    OK, so the actual price of the pearl was $15. The settings seemed to range from like $20 all the way up to I believe about $80. The chains were all different price ranges and actually looked very cheap. My daughter decided on a ring because that seemed the best deal for the price. It was very cute but actually, as someone else posted, it only takes twenty minutes. Her pearl fell off the setting the next day. As I said before, it was a fun experience. If you are actually going for some nice jewelry, I would definitely pass on this. We just wanted to try something different on this particular trip. We like to do something new or different on each trip. We will definitely remember this experience. It was quite amusing, as I said before, and the cute little Japanese girls are hard not to enjoy. They were so friendly.

I got a ring done back in 2002 and the stone is still in the setting. I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone was considering a ring. I don't wear the ring daily but it gets some wear and tear.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    I got a ring done back in 2002 and the stone is still in the setting. I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone was considering a ring. I don't wear the ring daily but it gets some wear and tear.

~Amanda
    I'm sure it depends on who makes it also. My daughter's pearl fell off in our hotel room the following day after getting it. Obviously, it wasn't set right to begin with. They told her to wait until the next day to wear it. She opened the box, went to put it on, and there it was, on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovinmesomedisney View Post
    OK, so the actual price of the pearl was $15. The settings seemed to range from like $20 all the way up to I believe about $80. The chains were all different price ranges and actually looked very cheap. My daughter decided on a ring because that seemed the best deal for the price. It was very cute but actually, as someone else posted, it only takes twenty minutes. Her pearl fell off the setting the next day. As I said before, it was a fun experience. If you are actually going for some nice jewelry, I would definitely pass on this. We just wanted to try something different on this particular trip. We like to do something new or different on each trip. We will definitely remember this experience. It was quite amusing, as I said before, and the cute little Japanese girls are hard not to enjoy. They were so friendly.
    The same thing happened to my ring. I am thinking of getting it repaired. This was a fun experience but I wish it lasted longer than a couple weeks!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and I do this every trip. They will drill the pearl for you for free - so I have a little baggie for each trip with a hole drilled in it and when she gets to be an adult I will have all of the pearls strung into a necklace (because I intend to go lots and lots by then!)
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

I did this once when my best friend and I went on a trip in August 2008. We got there when the store opened and bought our tickets to pick the pearls. It was a great experience and I plan to do it again next trip. It can get really busy and crowded in that section of the store, and I would recommend getting there around 11 or 11:30. It was very nice to talk with the ladies, learn some Japanese, and take our time picking the settings we wanted. When it is crowded there is more pressure to hurry up. But, I love the hoopla and drumming and applause! I wear my pearl in a necklace on special occasions and get many compliments on it.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: