Quantcast Anyone have a Beagle or a Flat Coated Retriever dog? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My beagle...oh, my beagle. I can honestly say that the dog absolutely adores me and DD!

But, on the other hand, I believe that the breeder drugged her when I went to look at her. Two days later, she woke up. She has been on the move ever since...4 yrs. later.

She is very sweet, but loves attention. When people come over, she won't leave them alone. She "talks" by whining. She kind of sounds like Wheezy from Toy Story. She jumps, and loves to sleep in bed with me. No couch for her. I have tried her on Clomi-calm, and it does seem to work.

As far as shedding...she is a lemon-drop beagle, so she is primarily white. The Pledge thingie for pet hair works wonders on couch and comforter (both dark).

She is house trained/crate-trained, but has separation anxiety when I go to work now following a recent move. The clomi-calm/benadryl help that. Very social dogs, beagles.

She lets DD (and has always been so) love all over her, along with our tempermental cat.

Hope this helps!
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile flat coat...long post

Hi! I went to the pound to get a small dog, and came home with Baby-an 80 pd, black, flat coat retriever. She is now about 14 years old, we got her at the humane society about 4 years ago. So she came pre-trained and older. Perfect!!

She is super mellow, except when she goes in the car or when a thunderstorm comes. She hates the thunder and can "feel" a storm coming, so we give her one or two melatonin pills and they work wonderfully!! Otherwise, she will try to sit on my lap and pant/sweat/pee. Ick. In the car, she is just hyper from excitement(getting in the car may mean going to the park!) On long road trips, she gets a melatonin. You can find this in the vitamin aisle, it is a sleep aid. I wouldn't give them to a small dog-but Baby is 80+ pounds.

I have been in bed for about 5 days with a monster cold, and she has stayed right by my bed, only going down to "go" outside. But then she is MY dog and follows me around like a shadow, whines and cries when I leave her home. But also, she can NOT stay home alone, or she eats things-chocolate, soap, boxes of cereal(and the box), etc.
    BAby lives with 5 cats, and one cat slaps her almost every day and Baby just puts up with it-so she is very tolerant.

When someone comes to our door, she barks one HUGE "woof", and thats all. When I talk to her in my high pitched mommy voice, she responds, trying to talk too. She can almost say "i love you". But it mostly sounds like something scooby doo would say.
    Baby has very bad cataracts and can't see much below mid-eye. She accidentally bite me a few months ago. I was cutting up a tomato and she was begging, and I held out the core and said "you don't want this" and she took most of my hand in her mouth. I yelped, and she cowered-but it didn't hurt much-mostly scared me! But she couldn't see it was my hand-so now we all throw her food UP into the air and she catches it.
    She also is getting bad hip joints, which is normal for many big dogs of her age. I give her one advil at night if she has had an active day. And by morning she is usually OK. Some days she stays in bed till almost noon before I force her up(i lift the dog bed/dump her out of her bed to help get her weight over her hips).
    Sorry this was so long, but Baby is the absolute best dog I have ever had. Hope this helps you decide-

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: