Quantcast Duffy will be very visible throughout Epcot - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, DD8 has a Disney bear purchased at the NY store 3 years ago...sleeps with it every night. It's black, not brown, but all the same I think she'll be interested in seeing Duffy at Epcot. If it's still around in December.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I don't think it's so much as John says, we're all set in our ways, but that we're not used to doing things as a group.

I once saw a tour bus unload some Japanese tourists (wish I could remember where) and as soon as they saw whatever they'd come to see, in unison (it was a marvel to watch) every person raised his/her camera to take a photo.

Kids know what they like and they are full of surprises. And they certainly have us trained to buy for them.

It'll be interesting.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of Duffy before this but I'm interested in seeing him. I have a feeling that I might be needing to buy one in January for my younger DD. I agree that he probably won't have the following here that he does in Japan but I'll bet there will still be quite a bit of interest in him. After all, who doesn't love a teddy bear - especially if he belongs to Mickey!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Added pics of Duffy costumes in original post.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Boo!! )-:<

O boy, Duffy?
    2 reason i hate it!
    #1 Weird name! Sounds like its from Ducktales
    #2 There goes another tradition Disney World thing!

It's time to remember the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Duffy

The naysayers were quick to bash Mickey's bear.
    Duffy is vastly superior to the recent/new-age, heavily marketed characters and entertainment.
    He will prove to be a solid complement to the traditional Disney characters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plutosnana View Post
    #2 There goes another tradition Disney World thing!
    Not sure what you mean by this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this?
    Add me to the confused list as well Mel.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

So they were clearing the shelves of the old Disney Bear, do you think the Disney Bear in Magic Kingdom book will disappear as well? If so, I need to get a friend to try and snag a copy soon.
    Beth

Past WDW trips:
    '83 - Contemporary
    '99 - Grad Night, offsite
    '03 - Day trip MK
    '04 - Day trip MK
    '05 - Poly LVC; POFQ Christmas trip
    '06 - Poly
    '08 - Poly
    '09 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Starting October 14, Duffy will only be appearing in Epcot at WDW (and also in California Adventure at Disneyland Resort). His now under construction meet and greet gazebo will be located as you turn left from World Showcase Plaza towards Mexico. Right now, the area has construction walls up. Duffy is a gift from Minnie to Mickey, and Mickey and Duffy travel the world together on a boat. Duffy will be appearing in a sailor suit, and will have a suitcase along, as if he has just returned from one of his journeys.

Duffy will be available for purchase in Towers East, which will be all Duffy, all the time. I'm thinking that's the existing merchandise shop there across from where Duffy will be appearing. I wasn't clear on that. This will be all merchandise which is identical to what can be found in Japan. From there, you can take Duffy around the World and dress him in each country's specific outfit. There will also be occassion outfits. I must admit, they all looked very cute.
    We'll be in Epcot on October 13, and that's it for our trip (not buying hoppers). Any chance he might be out earlier? And will you be able to buy the plush outside of Epcot after October 14?

I bought the story of Disney bear for my DD's 1st b-day last year. I'd love to get her the real thing for our trip this year.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I happen to love my Disney Bear, I got him with a book about MK when I visited the parks a few years ago. I think Mickey finally getting around to naming him is a good thing! I keep waiting to plan my next trip hope hes still there
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what bugs me about Duffy. Sure, there's a market for a cute, stuffed, fluffy animal for kids. But, why not spend the money to market and push another cute, stuffed animal (thing?), such as Figment, who was once the mascot at Epcot. I mean, here's a character loved by kids and adults and has been around for years and already has some backstory and familiarity. Spend some money to further develop the character with some animated features and some clothing from around the world and sell him. Heck, give him a kids TV show like Phineas and Ferb where he uses his imagination to encourage others to do the same. Just a thought.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

The reason Figment is not the answer they are looking for is because he is not in any other parks. You know "Synergy!" is the #1 strategical priority at The Disney Company today. They are pushing Duffy here because Duffy is already a massive success in Tokyo. This way they get to spread it around.

Figment just gets to lose. Besides, there are no guarantees that Figment will be around for much longer (seems unlikely he would go away for good, but they've already tried it once). As fewer and fewer guests even know of, or can remember, the original attraction, Figment is more likely to die off.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, before I read this thread, I never even knew there was a Disney Bear! I never saw any books about it or saw anything in the parks. The only thing I can think of is a plastic teddy bear with a Mickey icon on it's foot that we bought with other Potato Head parts in WDW. Is that him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Take this FWIW, but I have no clue what you guys are talking about and zero interest (as will my kids, I'm certain).

Seems like a loser to me. What goes in Japan most definitely does not always go in the U.S.
    I'll second this. It makes no sense to me, unless they are trying to create a push for a movie or cartoon tie-in down the road. It just seems odd to me that they would put this much behind a plush toy.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I'll second this. It makes no sense to me, unless they are trying to create a push for a movie or cartoon tie-in down the road. It just seems odd to me that they would put this much behind a plush toy.
    Yeah, I can't see it either. I found a copy of a Duffy book from Japan on another site that tells the story of Duffy and it really seems like a total marketing gimmic. Still, if people like him, I guess its ok. That's one band wagon I think I'll let pass on by, though.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Was in Epcot today and could see that they are making some progress on Duffy's meet and greet area, although it did seem they have a lot of work to do before mid month when it's supposed to open.

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally understand most of the anti-Duffy feelings, and the question of why they don't prop up an already existing property is a good one, but... I'm kinda excited about this. I think Duffy is one adorable bear, especially after watching the little video of him arriving on a yacht posted on the Disney Blog today.

Only time will tell how well this is going to work.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    My biggest concern is wondering if the Duffy launch here will be a repeat of when WDW tried to bring the Cinderellabration stage show to the MK from Tokyo Disneyland.
    So apparently there were a lot of others besides me who absolutely hated Cinderellabration. I didn't realize it had gone over so badly.

I don't remember the Disney Bear at all, and I was there several times during its failed run. I don't see how changing its name to Duffy is going to make it work but only time will tell.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

I think I get it -- Duffy is just the name for a cute stuffed animal bear that's being used as a marketing tool to "up" the little-kid interest in Epcot, hence the kidcot masks, Duffy's country-centric outfits, collectibles, etc.

I was quite confused at first -- it seemed very un-Disney to me, like they were co-opting a character from Hersheypark or something. But I think I understand now.

As far as a meet-and-greet, I can't help but feel a lot of guests will be walking by going, "Huh?"
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: