Quantcast Kodak Cuts Ties With Epcot Pavilion

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Kodak Cuts Ties With Epcot Pavilion

From the Sentinel Disney blog:

Eastman Kodak Co., a corporate sponsor in Walt Disney Co. theme parks since the opening of Disneyland in 1955, has pulled out of a prominent Epcot attraction.

Representatives for Rochester, N.Y.-based Kodak and Walt Disney World confirmed this week that the venerable photo-and-film company ended its sponsorship of Epcot’s Imagination! pavilion, home to the ride “Journey Into Imagination with Figment” and a play area dubbed “ImageWorks.”
    Neither company would discuss the reasons behind the move. Kodak has also ended its sponsorship of a theater in the Tomorrowland section of Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

“Our alliance partnerships are ever-changing, and this adjustment reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business,” Disney World spokesman Zoraya Suarez said.

Disney said the move will not lead to noticeable changes around Imagination! beyond the removal of Kodak signs. The resort made cosmetic changes to a theater in the pavilion earlier this summer when it revived the “Captain EO” 3D movie featuring the deceased pop singer Michael Jackson.

Disney said that about a dozen employees who worked at the pavilion through a Kodak contractor were given opportunities to apply for other jobs at Disney World.

Even without the Epcot attraction, Kodak will maintain a substantial sponsorship presence throughout Disney’s theme parks. The company continues to sponsor the 3D movie “Mickey’s PhilharMagic” in the Magic Kingdom and approximately 50 “Kodak Picture Spots” scattered throughout Disney World and Disneyland.

Disney will also continue selling Kodak products in its parks.

“We continue to have a positive, productive relationship with Disney, and we are discussing possible future collaborations,” Kodak spokesman David Lanzillo said.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it doesn't mean an early end to the run of Capt. EO. We will see tomorrow at Disneyland. DD is hoping to see it at WDW in Dec. Hope it is still there.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually you take the good with the bad, but seems that Kodak doesn't have to.

Seems pretty one sided, they stay in with Philharmagic (new and popular) and the pictures (profits), but dump the aging Imagination pavillion that's is dire need of an update.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with the Un-imagination pavillion either, but who's fault is it that it's as bad as it is? Surely the sponsor should get some of the credit for that as well. Probably a sign of how desperate Disney is currently. In the old days, they probably could have maintained an all or nothing stance and won.

This probably is a pretty big nail in the coffin to HISTA reappearing as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This is definitely a disturbing trend for Epcot. I fear an empty Imagination pavilion soon to go along with the still-empty WoL pavilion that Met Life abandoned.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This is definitely a disturbing trend for Epcot. I fear an empty Imagination pavilion soon to go along with the still-empty WoL pavilion that Met Life abandoned.
    I hope not.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I am hopeful this leads to the return of Dreamfinder and perhaps a refurb of the attraction I know it sounds like this goes against logic but afterall it was Kodak's decisions that lead to the disaster of an attraction we have today!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Another take: maybe this is good. Why couldn't a new company take over the sponsorship and breath life back into the pavilion. Not sure if I'm reading to much into this but I saw on the disney blog a pin with Figment with shovel in hand for a ground breaking in 2011. Maybe there is something to this?
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Another take: maybe this is good. Why couldn't a new company take over the sponsorship and breath life back into the pavilion. Not sure if I'm reading to much into this but I saw on the disney blog a pin with Figment with shovel in hand for a ground breaking in 2011. Maybe there is something to this?
    This thought crossed my mind, but then I was thinking ... if Disney was able to land sponsors, why would WoL still be closed? Wouldn't they have put something in there by now?
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

This thought crossed my mind, but then I was thinking ... if Disney was able to land sponsors, why would WoL still be closed? Wouldn't they have put something in there by now?
    you make a good point. Maybe they needed Kodak to officially stop sponsoring? I guess I'm just being hopeful they can put the Imagination back in the Imagination pavilion. Maybe some Phineas and Ferb inspired imagination.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Wonders doesn't have a sponsor for two reasons:

1) The dome is actually a very large sieve-the insulation needs to be replaced frequently so it doesn't start turning colors, and just about everything in there would need to be updated to make it worth having as a sponsored space. Think of the New Global Neighborhood->Project Tomorrow update, but for the entire pavillion.

2) It's great event space.

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't be hard to find a sponsor for Imagination. There are probably lots of groups lining up to get their brand in line with "Imagination" in the title.

What if Mac sponsored it and turned it into "i-magination"?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

This adds one more pavilion to the list of those without sponsorships. We're down to Spaceship Earth, Mission: SPACE, and Test Track for sponsored pavilions in Future World, right?

We knew this was coming anyway. Been hearing about it for weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Kodak the original sponsor?

This pavilion needs some serious help. I hope someone steps up, and it doesn't end up closed.

I liked how it was in the 80's...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post

What if Mac sponsored it and turned it into "i-magination"?
    First of all, the company is Apple.

Second of all....

Not that it will ever happen, though. Jobs is buddies with the Universal guys, no?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Not that it will ever happen, though. Jobs is buddies with the Universal guys, no?
    Steve Jobs is a member of Disney's Board of Directors, and is also the largest single shareholder (holding about 7% of the shares himself).

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    We're down to Spaceship Earth, Mission: SPACE, and Test Track for sponsored pavilions in Future World, right?
    And of those three, probably only Spaceship Earth is solid. I think we all expect GM to bail on Test Track at some point in the near future.

Steve Jobs is a member of Disney's Board of Directors, and is also the largest single shareholder (holding about 7% of the shares himself).
    Correct. Happened as a part of the Pixar sale. In fact, I've always been a bit surprised that Apple didn't have any in-park sponsorship. Although, I suspect to some degree that Jobs might be a "pickier" sponsor than WDW management is willing to deal with. He might demand things like quality and innovation.

The horror.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. Happened as a part of the Pixar sale. In fact, I've always been a bit surprised that Apple didn't have any in-park sponsorship. Although, I suspect to some degree that Jobs might be a "pickier" sponsor than WDW management is willing to deal with. He might demand things like quality and innovation.

The horror.
    Oh SNAP!!!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

This adds one more pavilion to the list of those without sponsorships. We're down to Spaceship Earth, Mission: SPACE, and Test Track for sponsored pavilions in Future World, right?

We knew this was coming anyway. Been hearing about it for weeks.
    Doesn't Nestle still sponser The Land?

My guess is that this was some hard-line negotiation on Kodak's part. Since they were able to keep the other sponserships, and continue to sell their product in the parks, my guess is that it was a take it or leave it attitude from Kodak.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

You figure that it's only a matter of time (if it hasn't already happened already, been rumored for awhile) before GM pulls out of Test Track. HP and Siemens seem to be the only two solid sponsor's left in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    Doesn't Nestle still sponser The Land?
    According to Wikipedia, (Yeah, I know ) Nestle ended it's sponsorship with the The Land in February 2009.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post

According to Wikipedia, (Yeah, I know ) Nestle ended it's sponsorship with the The Land in February 2009.
    When is Nestle gonna end the sponsorship with the Coffee?
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: