Quantcast Our Summer Celebration: Day 1, Part 3: Exploring Port Orleans

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Summer Celebration: Day 1, Part 3: Exploring Port Orleans

Date: August 15, 2010

The Cast:
    DM: Me, Darth Macho, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
    DW: Dear Wife, The Queen, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
    DD1: Princess, 9yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (That she'll remember. She was just 2yo on her actual first visit.)
    DD2: Princess, 6yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (She was born mysteriously 9 months after our last visit…)

Exploring the Resort

After leaving the comfort of our air conditioned room, we set out into the oppressive heat to explore the grounds. DW and I got DD1 to take the traditional picture of us inside the gazebo, we poked around the pool, reading the signs telling the legends of the big Oak Tree and Ol' Man Island. We took lots of pictures of the grounds and the main buildings, and saw a lot of interesting native birds and lizards during our walk. After checking out the big wheel , we spotted the hair wraps, which my poor wife had been thinking of getting since way back to our first trip in 1998 at the WL! Unfortunately there was only enough time left for two wraps, so we let the Princesses get theirs done. It was not cheap as my daughters have long hair, and it was torturous for the poor things to sit still so long in the heat, but I think they were happy they got them. After that, we decided we couldn't take the heat and explored inside for a bit in the cool air. We browsed inside Fulton's General Store, and my girls got their first taste of the whole pin trading thing, but they wouldn't buy their first pins until later in the week. We enjoyed the goods and décor of the store. It was all so very "Disney" in a good way. Meanwhile, it was time for our first sit down dinner of the week...

Dinner at Boatwright's

It's our tradition to eat at our home resort on the first night of our stay, so I had made our ADRs for 6pm and we were seated promptly. We love the theme of the restaurant and the décor is perfect, but the acoustics were poor, as I could barely hear the waitress as she explained how our dining meal credits worked. It was LOUD in there! In any case, we got our first taste of the "celebrations" theme when they brought out a pair of balloons, tied them to our chair, and announced our anniversary in front of everyone, to our embarrassment. (We're rather shy.) Thankfully celebrations were soon breaking our all over the place, and we got to our meal. My wife and I both ordered Grilled Tenderloin Medallions - served with Crayfish, Honey-Mustard Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Rum Demi-glaze and DD1 got the kid's pizza, while DD2 got the kid's pasta. Off the plan, I ordered an Abita beer flight. For dessert, I got the Bananas Foster, and my wife got the Apple Pie. The kids got the sundae. The food was excellent, and in that regard this was one of the best meals of the week. One glitch came when our waitress made a mistake and charged another couple's meal to our plan, costing us two adult credits, and a LOT of time waiting for our final check, not to mention it took several days and several calls to straighten out. Well, it eventually got taken care of, so no harm was done in the long term. My meal was delicious, so I'm happy that we ate there, and would return again some day.

Horse and Carriage Ride (and Arcade)

Despite the delay, we still had a little time to kill, so we took the kids to the arcade for a bit, and they enjoyed playing the games and getting to do something a little more kid friendly for awhile. After that, it was time for our 8pm horse and carriage ride. Before we boarded, my kids spotted the perfect rainbow, which we took as another good omen. It was truly a pretty sight, and we got a nice picture of it. The kids chose to ride with the huge black horse, whose name was "Doug" I believe. He was a powerful and majestic animal. The ride took us down the Sassagoula River to the French Quarter and back. Not only was it nice to get a glimpse of the sister resort, it was a cool way to experience both because it felt like we were getting a ride from the country to the city and back again in a blend of perfect theming. Not only that, but it turned out to be a sunset ride, as it was light when we left and dark when we returned.

Retiring Early for Magic Kingdom

We decided to retire to the room after that because the next day would be our first full day, and we were getting up early to visit the Magic Kingdom! Getting the kids to wind down was not easy, but they were pretty tired. We called for a 6am wake-up, and managed to get to sleep somehow, ready or not for our big day!

First Day Observations

First of all, it was almost unbelievable to actually be in WDW again after so long. Port Orleans Riverside was a great place to renew the magic, as it really captures that WDW setting that you come to expect. There were a few small glitches along the way, but the good far outweighed the bad, and our arrival was truly magical. Riverside is beautiful, and the theming fabulously blended with French Quarter. While there are many more resorts at which I haven't stayed, and would like to I'm glad we chose, POR for this trip.

The dining plan was an unbelievable way to save money, but when they gave it to us or free, it was a steal. One thing I didn't like about it was all of the paperwork. It seemed as though we had forty receipts for every meal because they had to adjust everything over and over. The quick serve and snacks were a little less complicated, but I still ended up with a pocket full of paper. The kids meals were very limiting, and though it's pretty much the standard food my kids order every time we eat out, I think after 10 days in a row of choosing between mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and burger was getting tiresome for even them. Also, there was too much food for the quick serve meals. Getting a dessert after every lunch and dinner was too much. We threw away more grapes as the kids got sick of eating them. When they figured out they could get fries though, they had no trouble eating those. In any case, the bottom line is that the dining plan, few flaws or not, was too good to pass up…and then they gave it to us for free…

Stay tuned for Day 2: Magic Kingdom
    Ask questions if you think I left anything out!!!!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy reading your reports and can't wait to read about your MK day!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

A nice end to your day. Sounds lovely.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

You're getting me pumped up for our POR stay next Sept.! Glad your dinner at Boatwright's was enjoyable as I would like to dine there while at POR! Thanks for the reports!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the other micki View Post
    You're getting me pumped up for our POR stay next Sept.! Glad your dinner at Boatwright's was enjoyable as I would like to dine there while at POR! Thanks for the reports!
    If you have any questions about POR, feel free to send me a message, and I'll answer the best that I can.
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

A carriage ride sounds like a lovely ending to your first day! I'll bet your princesses are really excited to finally be there and fell asleep dreaming of the Disney adventures to come!

Sorry your dining plan got mixed up - and so soon after you arrived! We traveled with a child for the first time in forever at the end of last year and, I agree, the children's entrees are very limited and seem to be the same wherever you go!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely, relaxing first day. On our last trip, we stayed at POFQ and loved it. Unfortunately, we didn't take the time to explore POR - your report makes me wish we had. I agree with your thoughts on the dining plan - it's a lot of food, and the kid's choices are limited. We had decided not to do the plan for our upcoming trip, but when they throw it at you for free, how can you turn it down??
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Another great report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What a great beginning to your trip! Can't wait to read more!
    Amy
    First trip in 1983...at 5 yrs old and have been hooked ever since!
    Next trip: Last week in April 2015 at Fort Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Great first day!! I am heading to your report of MK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report.

Post Thanks / Like

The carriage ride is a great beginning. We had Doug also when we took one at Fort Wilderness. He is huge.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

What a great way to end your first day in the "World", a nice dinner and carriage ride sounds like a terrific way to spend the evening. Good idea to turn in early for that first day in Magic Kingdom, it's advice that I should remember too!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

What a great first day!!! I guess all vacations are going to have some glitches it all works out in the end anyways
    The carriage ride sounds like the perfect ending to a day at WDW!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you had such a great experience at POR and Boatwright's - even with the "oops". I'll be reading every detail.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

what a great time exploring the resort and a fun evening you all had!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great day. I know what you mean about all the dining plan receipts. Can't wait to hear about your park time!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Whew! Busy first day, but sounds so nice. I feel like we have a pocket full of receipts every time we go to Disney and dine, and we're never on the dining plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rainbow!

Aww I arrived that day as well and I have a photograph of that perfect rainbow. At the time we saw it we were on one of the boats traveling in between EPCOT and Disney's Hollywood Studios. I'm glad your family saw it as well, it was one of those magical Disney moments.
    September 22-29 2012 Wildnerness Lodge
    Aug 10 All Star Music
    July 10 Wilderness Lodge
    May 09-POFQ
    Sept 08-POP Century
    Aug 07-PORS
    Sept 06-POFQ
    Sept 05-CBR
    from 81-04 off site at least once a year except 3 years (can't remember which years!)
    80-even came to the world in mom's belly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadamMim View Post
    Aww I arrived that day as well and I have a photograph of that perfect rainbow. At the time we saw it we were on one of the boats traveling in between EPCOT and Disney's Hollywood Studios. I'm glad your family saw it as well, it was one of those magical Disney moments.
    It really is a small world after all!
    Viva Darth Macho!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: