Quantcast Taking a 2 yr old

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking a 2 yr old

What would you say "must do's" are for a 2 yr old???
    1988-2012
    Fort Wilderness
    Old Key West
    Boardwalk Inn
    Polynesian
    Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Epcot's Under the Sea with Nemo. Our son was 5 months when we took him and his eyes lit up with excitement.

And the HISTKs playground.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of your fantasy land attractions...

Pooh, Peter Pan, Dumbo, It's a Small World, Cinderellas Carousel, Mickey's Phillarmagic....

Alladin's Magic Carpets, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Buzz Lightyear, Laugh Floor, the Train...

monorail

At Epcot, there are the bubbling fountains between Furture World and World Showcase, in Mexico the boat ride with the 3 Caballeros.

Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth and Nemo and Friends like the previous poster suggested, OH and don't miss Crush....

At Animal Kingdom...The Lion King Show, Finding Nemo the Musical, Triceratops Spin, Train...Kilamanjaro Safari.....there is also a play area in the Dinosaur area...

At The Studios, I am having a hard time coming up with attractions that you ride, but there is The Little Mermaid show there, and also in Pixar Place (not sure if a 2-yr old could ride Toy Story) but there they can meet the Toy Story characters as well as Mike and Sulley.

I just threw some things out there, I have never taken a 2 year old and I do not recall the height/safety requirements on any of these suggestions, but there is a start....

OK. I just re-read your post, I don't know if these would be considered "must do's" for a 2 year-old, but I think you could call them "can-do's" - or "consider doings" !
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

When we go back to Disney next May, our daughter will be two years and four months. And whatever she is able to ride, she is going to ride.

So, everything in MK that does not have a height requirement, she will ride, including the HM.

And in the other parks, it will be the same thing. If she is tall enough, she will ride it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a warning we took my firend's son who was just about 2 and a lot of the rides scared him because of the darkness not the content or motion of the ride. He really didn't like anything that was dark even for a little while. He loved the rides like Dumbo, Magic Carpets, & Triceratops but really got scared during the first section of Living with the Land when it started out dark the same thing happened on the TTA and even on the Seas with Nemo and he loves Nemo. Just something to think about,
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

My kids weren't really scared of anything. Of course, I would play home videos of WDW for them to prepare them for the characters and rides.

The two things I'd put forth are all Fireworks and the Nemo Musical. Of course you need to hit the slow dark rides, but the two things I mentioned are the things they talked about the most. There's just something about that little orange fish that kids love.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Just a warning we took my firend's son who was just about 2 and a lot of the rides scared him because of the darkness not the content or motion of the ride. He really didn't like anything that was dark even for a little while. He loved the rides like Dumbo, Magic Carpets, & Triceratops but really got scared during the first section of Living with the Land when it started out dark the same thing happened on the TTA and even on the Seas with Nemo and he loves Nemo. Just something to think about,

Same with my son at 2 years and 3 months. He loved Dumbo, Small World, Triceratops, etc, but he hated Peter Pan and Pooh and such because of the darkness. Just really be patient and feel out the child. My son would have been content riding the carousel and small world the entire trip
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Da Twain, Da Monowhale, Da Bus...

We spent a ton of time digging for dinosaurs and playing in the fountains. Honestly, you probably don't have to set foot inside a park if you don't want to.

Post Thanks / Like

• Dumbo
    • it's a small world
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    • Turtle Talk with Crush
    • The Seas with Nemo & Friends
    • Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Just a warning we took my friend's son who was just about 2 and a lot of the rides scared him because of the darkness not the content or motion of the ride. He really didn't like anything that was dark even for a little while. He loved the rides like Dumbo, Magic Carpets, & Triceratops but really got scared during the first section of Living with the Land when it started out dark the same thing happened on the TTA and even on the Seas with Nemo and he loves Nemo. Just something to think about,
    My June trip with my 2 year old was MISssssssssERABLE partly because he developed a previously-unseen PARALYZING fear of the dark. He has never cried so hard in his life, he cried ANYTIME there was the slightest reduction in light. You may not have even realized how the "kiddy" rides are dark, but my two year old sure did. He wouldn't even let us get in line for Pan, Hated Pooh, Hated Buzz, Hated Monsters, Lion King, Nemo, Turtle Talk, and truth be told, he probably hated Mom and Dad that week too! We were actually glad we missed rope-drop at Hollywood Studios because we would have cried through Toy Story as well.

A big part of our problem was that we couldn't remember which attractions were going to be dark until it was too late. We walked out of most of his "hates" within 60 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    He loved Dumbo, Small World, Triceratops, etc, but he hated Peter Pan and Pooh and such because of the darkness. My son would have been content riding the carousel and small world the entire trip
    They must be twins. My son LOVED Small World and liked Dumbo and Aladdin, but more than anything LOVED the "horseys!"

I now have a great love for Small World because it brought much-needed Peace and Happiness to my son (and me).
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha my son hated IASM! He screamed almost the entire time. I felt so badly for the other passengers. I kept turning around and apologizing.

To quote my husband "For such a small world this is a long *** ride!"
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that some parents give their little ones a small squeeze flashlight for their kiddos to hold and operate during the dark rides. One of those itty bitty lights that won't detract from the attraction...maybe that would help? possibly?
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I think it totally depends on your two year old. I have four kids. Two of them went on EVERYTHING they could get on, and were very sad when the height restrictions kept them off of others. The other two were more apprehensive, but did fine on the dark fantasy land things. You know your child more than we do, so you will have to be the judge.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the posters....it will end up depending on how your child handles rides. Each one of my kids have been different liking some and hating others. I will share one thing, a confession of sorts ... I suggest you NOT experience "It's tough to be a Bug" with a small child. "OH we love a Bugs Life! Lets do it!" A mistake my husband and I made with our first child in the winter of 2002.... three children later and we still have never visited it again. (We also made the same mistake when he was older during a soft opening of "Stitch's Great Escape"....Yep didn't like that either!)
    Amy
    First trip in 1983...at 5 yrs old and have been hooked ever since!
    Next trip: Last week in April 2015 at Fort Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

We took our grandson (18 months) to Disney in May and he enjoyed just about all the rides you could put him on, but what he really enjoyed was meeting the characters. They were very interactive with him and he just loved them.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back yesterday with my 2 year old. He did every ride that he could. But I do have to say he Loved Playhouse Disney. He danced and clapped the wholw show. He really entertained the people around us
    Janet

Aug 2005 CBR
    Aug 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 AKL 2 bedroom Villas Can't wait to wake up with the animals!!!
    Aug 2010 AkL 2 Bedroom Villas

Post Thanks / Like

A midday break!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer we took my DD2.5. She enjoyed most of the rides - however, she LOVED playhouse Disney in Disney Hollywood Studios. She really liked meeting all of the Characters too.....especially the character breakfast at Hollywood and Vine. The characters get up every 30 minutes or so and sing and dance, and ask all the kids to join them. She had a blast!

She also got her first haircut at the MK barber shop. They gave her tons of stickers, a certificate and of course her "First Haircut" Mickey Ears!

Post Thanks / Like

Must do: Get to MK at opening and go straight to Fantasyland. You can hit Dumbo, Small World, Peter Pan, & Winnie the Pooh quickly (which are my DD3 favorite rides).

HS: Playhouse Disney Live on Stage
    AK: The Bone Yard
    Epcot: Nemo
    Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

The last time my family was at Disney my son was 2 1/2. My advice is to just enjoy the time together, dont worry if you dont get to do everything you have planned. Enjoy the look on the little ones face as they meet Mickey, as they go down Main St etc... because you will remember it for a lifetime...but the 2 yo will not. My son has been to WDW 3 times all before he was 3 and he doesnt remember it. We have a trip planned for Feb and he will be 6, this is the trip he will remember!
    Mark
    Sheraton World 05/75
    Band trip 01/78
    Sheraton 06/84
    Sheraton 06/87
    Wilson World 06/89
    Comfort Suites 10/89
    Ramada 03/01
    Ramada 04/02
    Ramada 04/03
    Ramada 04/04
    Allstar Movies 06/05