Quantcast Day 1, Part 2: Port Orleans Riverside

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Day 1, Part 2: Port Orleans Riverside

Date: August 15, 2010

The Cast:
    DM: Me, Darth Macho, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
    DW: Dear Wife, The Queen, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
    DD1: Princess, 9yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (That she'll remember. She was just 2yo on her actual first visit.)
    DD2: Princess, 6yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (She was born mysteriously 9 months after our last visit…)

Checking In

After arriving at Port Orleans Riverside via Magical Express, we happily entered the lobby and proceeded to the on-line check-in counter, which again saved us some waiting time. The kids, of course, planted themselves right in front of the lobby TV to watch cartoons, while I found out that our room would be 8562 in Magnolia Terrace, which some may recognize as one of the Mansions. We also received our Anniversary buttons, and we finally got the low down on the whole "Celebrations" thing, which I didn't realize was the theme for everyone in WDW this year. (Later we'd get 1st visit buttons for the kids, on which DD1 wrote "That I'll remember" since she was only 2 on our first visit.) After we were done at the desk, we nosed around the lobby area to get a feel for the layout of the main building and to soak in the décor, which we all agreed was delightful. Our room was ready, but our stomachs were starting to feel grumbly, so we headed down to The Riverside Mill Food Court for our lunch...

Lunch

The cafeteria seemed huge at first, but as we would come to find out, it was almost always busy, and was a mob scene during peak hours. Despite the chaos, we were almost always able to get our food in a timely fashion (as soon as the kids decided from which station they wanted to order.) I think the biggest jams were getting the refrigerated drinks, as the line was often longer than for the food as people tried to get bottled drinks out of a cold case while holding the door with their elbow and balancing their food and drinks on a tray with their other hand. The fountain sodas were a little better because you had a place for your tray, but the ice machines were always laboring to spit ice and the place was crowded and messy despite a valiant effort to keep it orderly by the cast members. Despite all that, we ate at Riverside Mill several times and always found a place to sit. We got four refillable mugs, two yellow for the kids, red for DW (she's a redhead) and black for me (my favorite color.) We used these a lot while hanging at the resort, especially for the free water. Lunch was pretty good too, I had roast beef w/blue cheese on a ciabatta roll, DW got a kid's burger, DD1 got mac and cheese, and DD2 got chicken nuggets. We paid cash for this meal in order to save a quick service on our food plan for later in the week. We sat by window near the big wheel and the kids were fascinated when I explained to them that the water was what moved the wheel and the huge gears. They thought it was the other way around for some reason. Anyway, after lunch, we decided to go find our room...

Finding Our Room

Our room was in Magnolia Terrace, which was just beyond Ol' Man Island, but being new to the place, we set off in the wrong direction and started walking towards the boat dock and down river, but soon we found a bridge to cross over, and a convenient road sign put us back on track. Our building was fronted by a gazebo which we thought was a good omen. You see, DW and I have a tradition since I proposed to her in one in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, and then had several wedding photos taken inside one that was on the peir outside our wedding reception hall, but I digress. Point is, the gazebos have a special meaning for us, so wealways make it a point to take a picture inside any gazebo we find if we can manage it.

The room was a standard view on the first floor, tucked away inside a corner, but it was worth saving a few bucks over a water view which we'd probably never get to see anyway, so we were happy enough with the room location.

One funny note about the room, is that we were always certain to find it easily because right above the door mechanism, a previous guest had placed a sticker of Chip and Dale, and from then on, our room came to be known as "The Chip and Dale Suite."

Inside the room was rather standard too, nothing too fancy, but just right for our needs, and the décor was nice. I liked the painting of the riverboat. The bathroom, admittedly, was pretty small, but the sinks located separately from the bath and toilet proved convenient. The curtain providing privacy at the sinks proved to be a week long source of entertainment for the girls and the occasional nuisance when I was trying to get them ready for parks or for bed, and they were playing with the curtain like it was some sort of stage.

One gripe about the room was that a previous guest had spilled something red, which at first we feared was blood, and later decided was nail polish, on the sink, wall and floor, and apparently no attempt was made by the housekeepers or maintenance to clean it up. It's hard to really gripe when we made no effort to report it either, so shame on us.

After poking around our room and seeing that our luggage hadn't arrived yet, we decided to put on some sunscreen and go explore the grounds. But since I have some chores to do I'll have to continue in another post. Sorry.

If you have any questions about details I haven't provided please ask!

Meanwhile, stay tuned for Day 1, Part 3: Exploring Port Orleans
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like y'all are off to a great start! We are staying in POR for the first time next Sept., so I am glad you like the resort so far!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying your post - POR is our home resort and I am enjoying reminiscing while reading your report!

Post Thanks / Like

The gazebo sounds like a good omen. Can't wait to read more.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be staying a POR riverside in just two weeks!!!, so I can't wait to hear more!
    Amy
    First trip in 1983...at 5 yrs old and have been hooked ever since!
    Next trip: Last week in April 2015 at Fort Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds nice. I like the Chip and Dale Suite!!
    TRACEY
    şOş

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I missed this post! Glad you got all settled in your room! It's nice that a previous tenant left a marker that helps you easily find your room!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We always enjoy Riverside also. Gives us more Darth!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Sounds like you settled in quite nicely in the "Chip n' Dale suite"!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I love your gazebo story
    Thank God it wasnt blood on the floor!! That would have been horrid!
    Yay for the chip and dale suite Your girls with the curtain reminds me of something my younger sister and I would have done when we were their age
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

If we get assigned the same building when we get there, I'll have to look for the Chip N Dale suite.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be trying POR for the first time in less than three weeks.I'll be looking forward to your next post.
    I'll have to go see the cnd suite one night!!

Post Thanks / Like

lunch sounds yummy!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Riverside is a favorite of ours too!

You are off to a great start!!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the gazebo significance for you, very sweet! Our first stay with our kids was at POR. Fond memories. But yes, I remember the food court being a bit crazy at times.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got settled nicely!

Post Thanks / Like

Our family will be checking into POR in February! Enjoying reading all about it! off to read more...
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)