Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    There is nothing too wrong with their analysis. Much of the MK has not changed in the past ~35 years. The rides are a step above a State Fair, there are no thrill rides there. You can only put paint on stuff for so long to make it exciting. Eventually it will be unexciting.
    Why can't Peter Pan be "exciting?" Does a ride have to be "exciting" to be fun? Everything is what you make of it. While Epcot is my favorite park, MK is they park I always go to the first day in the Parks because it is what "Disney World" is.

No, the "thrill rides" there are tame by Busch Gardens or Six Flags standards. But is that why one goes to Disney or the Magic Kingdom? One goes to MK for the theming and the flights of fancy it allows.

When you go on Space Mountain, you can imagine your self hurling through space. I love the view of "earth" when riding that ride. The silliness of The Jungle Cruise allows you to laugh at jokes you stopped thinking were funny when you were in elementary school.

POTC, Splash Mountain, BTMR, Fantasy Land, all transport you into an alternate reality. The purpose of that park is to allow everybody to be a kid again.

Also, kids will view the park the way their parents see it. If a parent doesn't understand WDW and says, "this is boring" or "I can't believe we rode that ride and looked at mannequins" then the children will say the same things.

For years I didn't like roller coasters because my parents hated them. It wasn't until I rode it with my friends that I learned I LOVED them.

It is too bad there are people who don't understand the concept.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ali'sdad2003 View Post
    You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the same way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.
    Ditto!
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Post Thanks / Like

it all depends on the age of the children. I personally will always love MK for nostalgic reasons. If they want thrills and adventure, they should go to Disney Studios or Epcot.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

In 08, I took my boys (dyed in the wool, Disney born and bred, aged 15 and 12) and their new step brothers (much cooler, trendier, and decidedly not Disney 15 and 13 at the time). I was very curious to see how my "new" sons would like the World.
    They wont ever be as Disney - lovin' as my boys and I, but they had a great time and were not, in fact, "too cool" for WDW. I think they both would rate MK in the upper part of their favorite experiences.
    As a Scout leader, football coach, and father of 4 teen boys, I spend a lot of time with teenaged boys of all sorts. I think there are some who are not disposed to whimsy, magic and imagination, just based on their wiring. Much moreso, tho', I think it is how they are reared and what experiences and opportunities they have been exposed to. It is far less about what MK is than what people want or expect it to be.
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

The kids may be a bit jaded and may be trying to be cool, but the fact that they missed the point is their own issue, not the Magic Kingdom's.
    from Stu29573

I agree. I think some children don't grow up encouraged to use their imaginations on their own very much with the modern/digital age. I also agree though that they're really missing out and not getting the "idea" of the Magic Kingdom.

Or - maybe its just not for them. Some people really are just looking for the BIG thrill rides and are not as interested in the story or the ambience of the surroundings - Great America or similar parks would probably be more fun for them. Everyone has different taste I guess. :-)

Personally, I could sit on a bench in the MK and be perfectly happy. LOL!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I think it really depends on your family and how persons are raised in how they feel about Disney.I have met people who have no interest in going to WDW or DL at all for various reasons and think I am stupid for liking Disney. Like others have said either you get the Magic or you don't. Those of us who get it have great imaginations and remember that feeling you get when you first went to Disneyworld or Disneyland, you enjoy seeing the looks on your kids faces when they first see Mickey Mouse. You can step into a Fantasyworld and have a great time with your family and feel like a kid again. I personally think that loving Disney as much as I do, helps me keep my youthful appearance and my heart young!
    Until the day I die I will always love Disney and especially Mickey Mouse!!!!
    Magic is everywhere if you know where to look!

Visiting Disneyland since 1969 & Walt Disney World since 1994!

Disney Fan since birth!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

The Magic Kingdom can only be enjoyed by those with a kid in them. (And you'd be surprised how many kids don't even have a kid in them....).

Post Thanks / Like

Poor kids!
    As my mom has been known to say, "Only boring people get bored."
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

:Kids these days say they are bored all the time, because we've become a society who think its the parents responsibility to constantly entertain them which means always buying things for our kids. I remember birthdays and Christmases being so special when I was a kid because that was the only time of the year we got new toys and games. Okay enough of that soapbox:

I will give my two cents about Magic Kingdom-it is my absolute favorite because it represents what Disney is all about, the whimsical magical experience that is Disney. I don't find that boring at all.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    In fact, she cries when leaving Main Street for the last time each trip.
    I'm REALLY glad to see that I'm not the only 18 year old that cries when leaving MK and watches CoP on YouTube....
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty interesting. I could see why the kids were bored with MK. A lot of the rides you are just sitting there looking at AAs. The kids may have been raised on parks like Six Flags, Universal Studios, etc. so they may be drawn more to thrill rides.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

I can see how some people could feel that way about MK, honestly. I grew up on Disney (hence the screen name) and my family took a trip atleast once a year. When I took my first "adult" vacation, I chose to go to WDW with my then boyfriend (now husband). It was his first trip to WDW and he didn't want to spend more than 2 hours in MK. He didn't get it. As for me, I see the castle and I'm breathless, in tears. "Gimme a minute" So now I have decided to take my daughter on annual trips.. I firmly believe that more than half of the reason I love Disney the way I do is because of the memories I have as a child there and I want my daughter to have the same passion for it that I do. People pass on much worse habits to their children than a love for Disney.

Now seeing as many "modern children" don't get caught up in Believing in Dreams and Wishing on Stars... I want her to feel like she has a Happy Place to go to and always be a kid. I think Disney may already have anticipated the evolution of their consumers. Updating fantasyland with Princess themed stuff is taking them ahead more than a few decades and generations. My daughter has much more interest in Ariel than say Peter Pan...

I love it and I'll be going there as long as they let me in.
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in FLA, and my dad loved WDW, so I do - and I have brought by dd at 4, 6, and 8 - she loved it every time (even new dd 2 had a surprisingly good time - we thought she'd be indifferent at that age - she now calls it her Mickey Mouse World when she see pics). Anyway, my husband who grew up here in Cincinnati doesn't enjoy WDW at all - for much the same reasons - too expensive to go and see dolls while you're in a boat. He does enjoy my excitement and he likes our family time there, but he will never be a disney fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    Wish I was being bored in the MK right now!!! Would give my left arm as a matter of fact!
    I agree, but I'd like to hold a pineapple float with my left hand
    " YO HO YO HO "

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be SO bored in 120 days that I think I'll be in Heaven!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly as a teacher this post does not surprise me at all! It seems every year kids become harder to entertain and not much seems to really interest them.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I love Disney (who doesn't at this site?)! While I would never say MK is boring; I will say that it has fallen dramatically.

While it once was my unquestion #1 most favorite park it is my 3rd least favorite today. Since 1984, subtraction has ruled for this park.

Yes, I will agree many favorable attractions have been updated or added, but I believe the total is easily a loss over this period. It is sad; I'm just grateful that Epcot is hanging in there.

When I return in April next year, I might choose to skip MK altogether
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

Adding my here. My kids were less than 5 yrs old when they made their first trip to the MK. They have grown up with the park and have many memories going there each year. They are now 16,14,& 10. MK is a must do park for us since that epitomizes the Disney experience. We have gone to Six Flags Great America, Kings Island, and Holiday World (for the coasters) and each time we leave they say it's NO Disney. Better yet it's no MK.

Boring, yes if you're looking for thrill rides and all that but no if you use your imagination. However, myself and DW are the first to be excited about going so that must just be absorbed by them.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=forever a child;2074625]Perhaps it is an age thing. QUOTE]

I thought Middle School for twelve years. During those years they are stuck between being an adult and being a child. They want freedom and independence...they want to be grown up, but that battles with the Inner Child (the one that some of us never lost). They probably enjoy it on some deep level, but don't want to enjoy it because it's not "grown up."

Perhaps give them a couple years just as 'Forever a Child' did. They will come around.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! MK is boring! So, nobody else needs to go there -- I'll play the martyr and go all by myself!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: