Quantcast Resort you thought you wouldn't like but did?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Resort you thought you wouldn't like but did?

Is there a Resort you thought you wouldn't like but decided to try and ended up liking it, or is there one you are going try in the future but are unsure of?

Reason I ask is because on a different site I was looking at some personal pictures of SSR and it looked awesome. I never felt like staying there before because we are not into Horse racing and thought the Theme would not be something we would like but after seeing all the pictures and how beautiful it looked it would be a place I would try in the future.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can think of a few that fall into that category: Coronado Springs; Port Orleans French Quarter; POP; and Grand Floridian.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think I'd like the WL as much as I do. I went to the AK for dinner one night and wasn't wowed. I felt like it was very dark and thought the WL would feel the same way. I was so wrong. There's a peaceful beauty to the resort that I really enjoy.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

We never had any great desire to stay at Old Key West, but did last summer due to some circumstances out of our control. We loved it ... especially our youngest son. We are staying there again in a few weeks.

On the other side, we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge a few years ago, and were so disappointed in it that we don't ever plan on staying there again. It works both ways.

I say try it out... you might just be surprised!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at ASMu in '08 because we wanted the family suite for our group. I was a little disappointed when we booked the accommodations because, having only stayed at Pop Century, I pictured the All Stars as the most run-down of the value resorts.

I was pleasantly surprised! The rooms were very nice and well-kept, and I felt just as immersed in the Disney magic at ASMu as I did at Pop!
    Many trips as a child!
    March 2006 - POR
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - ASMu
    February 2009 - Offsite
    May 2010 - SSR
    February 2012 - SSR
    August 2012 - CSR
    October 2013 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We are booked at POFQ for our next trip. My DH and DD wanted to stay at a resort we haven't tried so FQ won. I've looked at pictures that really didn't impress me; however, everyone here at Intercot seem to really like it so I'm willing to give it a try.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Delightful surprise at Carribean Beach

Two friends and I were booked this last end of Feb-into-March at Coronado Springs. It is a lovely resort and we were very excited.

However, mother nature was not kind this last winter, and a large storm threatened our flight to Florida and the entire trip. We were unwilling to accept that fate, so we left an entire day early to avoid this catastrophe. Disney reservations would have to change our resort if we wanted to stay the entire length of our stay in one place (no moving). We were offered the Carribean Beach Resort.

Now, I had looked at pictures and was not impressed. The photos showed buildings of garish colors. Not my taste. How wrong I was! When we got there, it was lush, tropical, and all the colors made sense...in person. We got a water-view by one of the quiet pools and loved the grounds and entire atmosphere.

I am thankful for this last trip and the wonderful surprises it brought...not to mention that extra 9th day in WDW!

Post Thanks / Like

AKL, I thought because of the location I would not like it that much. But we loved it! Loved the design and theme!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at POR only because we had 5 people and needed the trundle bed for a child (Family suites at ASMu werent available yet) and we really ended up liking it there, this year we are trying POFQ.
    Lori

Tinkerbell Fan "Here's Pixie Dust to You"

October 2005, Animal Kingdom and CBR
    Sept. 2006, POR
    Sept. 2007, AS Music
    May 2008, AS Movies
    April 2009, AS Music
    Sept. 2010 POFQ
    Sept. 2012 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Coronado Springs surprised me by how much I liked it. ASMo I was also pleasantly surprised by.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think I'd like Cornoado Springs as much as we did. We were excited about staying there and I was sure it was going to be a very nice resort, but I didn't expect to like it as much as we did. I also never wanted to stay at either of the Port Orleans resorts. I'm from Louisiana and figured when I go on vacation I want something different, if I want New Orleans I can just visit the real thing anytime I want. We took the boat from DTD to POFQ to catch a bus to AK, and I loved everything I saw. So even though I said we never would, I'm sure one day we'll stay at POFQ.

Now one resort I thought I'd fall in love with that I didn't was Beach Club. Its a wonderful resort, and we really did enjoy our stay, but I didn't love, love, love it.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

OKW - absolutely loved it. It is probably one of the prettiest and most private resorts.
    Saratoga Springs was great too.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my thoughts. We love POR and we will be there in 16 days!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Fan View Post
    We stayed at POR only because we had 5 people and needed the trundle bed for a child (Family suites at ASMu werent available yet) and we really ended up liking it there, this year we are trying POFQ.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

All Star Music and Movies....if not for the little beds...they could be return destinations...love the over the top theming and watching the wide-eyed children get hyped over the giant icons and decorations.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up I always stayed at either CR or Poly. For work I was sent to WDW and for our budget I could only stay at a value resort. I stayed at the Pop and I loved it. I recommend it to everyone. I thought it would bother me not being on the monorail but not one bit.
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Having previously stayed at only moderates or deluxes, I was surprised how much I enjoyed POP Century. Although it always seemed to be crowded, never had any problems as far as dining or busses.
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

For us it was OKW. Our friends are DVC owners and asked us to come with them on a trip. They got us a 1 bedroom there. I can't tell you how much we loved it. From my signature you can see we like to stay over at EPCOT (BC/YC/BW) we still do but, OKW is beautiful and the room sizes are incredible. We really loved both our stays there.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We strayed from Port Orleans Riverside over to POP. I laugh whenever I arrive and don't repine over Riverside at all.

Post Thanks / Like

POR. We never stayed in a mod before so I didn't expect much. However, it was good! We all really liked it.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    POR. We never stayed in a mod before so I didn't expect much. However, it was good! We all really liked it.
    Actually, POP is a value resort; not a moderate.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: