Quantcast Going to Disney with 1 year old.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to Disney with 1 year old.

So this is a little ahead of the game but I recently had my first baby (april 22nd) and my husband and I are already talking about when to go back to Disney. Our wishes are to go back in a year for his first birthday. DH and I have been for the past 4 years and this is the first year we are not taking a vacation since we've been together. First of all we are so excited at the prospect of taking our boy to Disney -- we have dreamed about it many times. I know he'll be too young to remember anything but that's not the point of our wanting to go. We have been times before so there will be no pressure to do everything. We also won't feel bad for not being able to do it all -- it'll be more laid back.

But how easy is it really to take a 1 year old?? How many of you have taken your babies and do you have any tips that you can share?
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We recently went to Disney with a 2 year old. It was a great experience to go with a toddler! However, don't expect to do everything.

We did a couple of character breakfasts which I was a bit concerned about as he is a rather shy boy. Luckily, he loved the characters and had lots of really cute interaction with them! Be equally prepared, though, for a toddler who wants nothing to do with the characters. My 2 year old nephew was totally uninterested in the face characters, for example.

Be prepared to go a toddler's pace which means you may not spend as much time in the park(s) as you are used to - you may spend more time at the resort. Be prepared to spend time at something other than the rides. Fox example, my nephew adored the gulls outside the Living Seas and we spent a good 20 minutes or so watching them. He was totally uninterested in Crush and wanted nothing to do with Bruce and the other "shark" exhibits.

Take advantage of the baby care areas. I've never been in one but many mothers have reported that they are a terrific resource.

Congrats on the expansion of your family!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The baby care centers are wonderful!!! We took our DS when he was 15 months and he has been every year since. The baby care centers are cool and quiet. They have large changing tables, rockin' chairs to help with nap time and high chairs for feeding. They also have many baby items there to purchase if you forget to bring something. I can't say enough good things about the baby care centers and would cross the park to go to them. We always go in June and I have used them many times in the afternoon for my DS to have a quiet place and change into fresh clothes.

I agree too with about moving at a toddler's pace and to be happy with whatever they find enjoyment in. Even if it isn't what we think they should love. We spent a long time (at least to us) watching ducks not far outside on the baby care center in MK. We just stayed and let him enjoy them without worrying we were gonna miss something eles. That is one of the things I remembered most. That and standing in line 30 minutes to see Mickey Mouse and DS falling asleep in line. We have some cute pics of mom, dad and a sleeping boy. Mickey even put his finger up to shhhh everybody.

It will be a great trip and yes, you will have some that tell you he won't remember it so why go. But that doesn't mean he won't have fun and You will remember it. We do lots of fun things for our kids that they won't remember. Why can't WDW be one of them??

Post Thanks / Like

We went when both my kids were 1 and had a great time. I was amazed at how much a 1 year old can do and enjoy. We'd do it again in a heart beat. Not that we're having anymore kids!

Post Thanks / Like

We went when our DS was 15 months and enjoyed every minute of it! (We have a DD11 that was 5 on her first trip, so we were skepitcal) I looked at the situation as if we made it to WDW, everything else was a bonus. Needless to say, my expectations were understandibly low. That way I didn't get bent out of shape when we weren't able to do something in particular. For the most part, DS was quite happy to chill out in his stroller. True he will probably not remember it, but the memories of taking him will live with us forever, along with some great pictures of him and his sister!
    June 1983-Off Site
    June 1991-Fort
    March 1993-Fort
    June 1997-WL (Honeymoon)
    April 2004-AKL
    April 2005-WL
    May 2006-Poly/DCL
    May 2007-Poly/DCL
    May 2008-Poly
    Nov. 2009-Poly
    Nov. 2010-Poly
    Nov. 2011-Poly
    Nov. 2012-Poly
    UPCOMING TRIPS:
    ???
    șoș

Post Thanks / Like

We went with our 1yo granddaughter almost 2 years ago (her mom and dad were there too) and it was a wonderful trip. DDIL had never been to WDW so we frequently took the baby and let the parents head for the rides while we watched the birds, and did things like ride TTA 7 times in a row (she fell asleep in Nana's lap and they just let us ride over and over).

We had a great trip. As has been said, make use of the Baby Centers and take things at a very slow pace. I won't kid you, it will be a lot of work and there will undoubtedly be moments of great frustration. But it was so worth it. We took lots of pictures and video. Now, almost 2 years later, my granddaughter's favorite thing to do is crawl up in my lap and watch the videos and the slideshow of us (mostly her) at WDW. Very sweet, very special.

As long as you view the trip as for the baby and not you, it'll be wonderful for everyone.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We went when my DS was 8 months old and he was great!! I was worried, but it was a great time!! He loved the characters and rides!! He napped whenever he needed to in the stroller as well!
    Next trip...
    1/16~AKL/AS Mo

Past trips...
    10/2015~Long Overdue Honeymoon @ the Disneyland Hotel! 1st visit to DL!!
    11/14~AS Mu
    3/14~Off Site
    11/13~AS Sp
    8/11~POR
    2/11~AS Mo
    4/09~Pop
    8/07-9/07~AS Sp
    GOT ENGAGED BY CASTLE!!
    12/06-1/07~AS Mo/AS Sp
    05/05~AS Mu
    08/00~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your baby! My DH and I are Disney addicts. I'm so glad I married someone who loves Disney as much as I do. We had our first baby in October 2008 (she's 18 months now). We will be leaving for Disney World this weekend and this will be our daughter's 3rd trip. She was almost 8 months old on her first trip and 13 months old on her second trip. This will be our first time going without other family members, so we will not be able to ride some of the rides (like ToT is not as much fun by yourself). I'm afraid we've brainwashed her because all she talks about is Mickey and Gooshy (goofy). I cannot wait to see the characters this time! The Baby Centers are nice. Some of them have items you can purchase (like food or supplies). They also have microwaves. We brought two Squirt Spoons by Boon. They were a lifesaver. We would ask for super hot water to heat up babyfood jars, then pour it in the spoon. I was surprised at how interactive she was, even at 7 months! She loved Pooh and Buzz Lightyear. Please feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.
    Next trip 11/15
    05/14
    02/13
    Offsite 10/12
    05/12
    11/11
    08/10
    05/10
    Movies 11/09
    Offsite 06/09
    PC 10/07
    Offsite 01/07
    06/06
    11/05
    10/04
    09/03
    02/03
    06/01
    WL 06/95
    SoG 06/92
    The Royal Dutch Hotel/Lake Buena Vista 06/82

Post Thanks / Like

We took both our boys when they were 1. They had a great time and so did we. Of course they are numbers 4 and 5 in our family of 5 children so each time they had older sisters to entertain them. We are die hard "stay in the parks all day" kind of people so we never went back to the resort for an afternoon rest and each boy did fine. Just slept in their stroller.
    I remember the first time we took our 3 DDs and oldest DS to the parks, he was 13 months old and our first park was Epcot. He had fallen asleep in his stroller just before Illuminations started. When it started, I was sure he would wake up screaming, but he never even stirred and you know how loud that is!
    It depends on your boy how he will deal with your time in the parks. I think you will have a great time no matter what you need to do to make it work for him.
    By the way, congratulations on the new addition!
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post
    But how easy is it really to take a 1 year old??
    There is no place easier to take a baby. We've traveled quite a bit with my DD (Paris, The Bahamas, and within the US all before her first birthday), and WDW has been the easiest place. The baby centers are great.

My first tip is to get either two rooms or villa/suite accommodations. My little girl is a noisy sleeper, and nobody sleeps well when we're all in the same room. And who wants to go to be on a baby's schedule, including midday naptime.

Another tip is keep your schedule. We have had very pleasant trips by going back to the room at naptime. I much prefer two four hour park visit per day with a well rested an happy child, than one eight hour session with a crying whiny cranky kid every afternoon.

Finally, get a babysitter for a few nights. We put our daughter down and then went out for EMH, hiring a sitter from Kids Night Out. We did the big rides at night, and didn't bother with baby-swapping on the big rides during the day.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MidnTPK View Post
    Finally, get a babysitter for a few nights. We put our daughter down and then went out for EMH, hiring a sitter from Kids Night Out. We did the big rides at night, and didn't bother with baby-swapping on the big rides during the day.
    Thanks for the input! What exactly is the Kids Night Out??
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post
    Thanks for the input! What exactly is the Kids Night Out??
    KNO is a babysitting service. It's mentioned in the Disney planning dvd. It also runs several childcare facilities around Orlando.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: