Quantcast 1 Injured in Boat Collision at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb 1 Injured in Boat Collision at WDW

Woman injured in boat crash at Disney

April 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm

By Anika Myers Palm, Orlando Sentinel

A woman was injured in a boating accident on Thursday at Walt Disney World near the Treehouse Villas.

Barbara Wormald, 61, of Celebration and Skipton, England, was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center to receive treatment for a collapsed lung, fractured ribs and back pain, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

Wormald and her husband, Michael, had rented a small boat at Downtown Disney and began to make their way through the Walt Disney World Resort waterways, the Sheriff’s Office said. At some point, the two found themselves in the path of a ferry.

Michael Wormald told a sheriff’s deputy that he turned to the right too late to avoid the ferry.

William Green, the captain of the ferry, told authorities he put the ferry in reverse when it crashed into the boat.

The Wormalds’ boat went under the ferry, and Barbara Wormald was wedged between the ferry and the small boat.

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident.

~~~~

Local TV is reporting the couple in the small boat were distracted and didn't see the larger shuttle boat until it was too late to avoid the collision.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

YIKES!

You would think a ferry would be hard to miss seeing AND hearing.

I guess not.

I hope she recovers fully.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

How terrible! I wish her a full recovery.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Geez how frightening! I hope she's OK!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the ferry saw them and tried to alert them? The article makes it sound like the ferry captain didn't do anything until after the collision.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

That's terrible.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I wonder if the ferry saw them and tried to alert them? The article makes it sound like the ferry captain didn't do anything until after the collision.
    Apparently, they didn't see each other until it was too late. There are several intersecting canals back in that area, and very heavy trees and plants can cause poor visibility at the intersections. Add in the noise of your own outboard motor and "sightseeing" distractions, and you've got a potential accident.

Also, the story refers to the WDW boat as a "ferry". They are actually relatively small pontoon boats, about 25 feet long, not the huge ferries like the ones that travel between the TTC and the MK.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they don't stop the rental of the small boats. My son is looking forward to getting one in november.
    May 03 OKW Apr 14 BWV
    Apr 04 Pop. Oct 14 BWV
    Apr 06 Riverside
    Dec 08 BWV
    Apr 09 SSR
    Nov 09 BWV
    May 10 BCV
    Nov 10 BWV
    May 12 BCV
    Oct 12 BLT
    Apr 13 BWV
    Jun 13 AKL kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Also, the story refers to the WDW boat as a "ferry". They are actually relatively small pontoon boats, about 25 feet long, not the huge ferries like the ones that travel between the TTC and the MK.
    The pictures on WFTV show the ferry involved to be more like the old boats used once at AK for their radio tours. It's described as about 4 times longer than the WFTV news van which would put it nearly 60 ft long. It wasn't one of the smaller pontoon boats according to that report and the WESH report.

The more maneuverable boat, the SeaRaycer in this case, must always give the right of way to the less maneuverable one, the ferry in this case.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a transcript of the Incident Report filed April 22 in the Orange County Sheriff's Office:

ON 04-22-10, 1745 HRS, I RESPONDED TO ORMC TO CHECK ON INJURIES SUSTAINED IN A BOATING ACCIDENT AT WALT DISNEY WORLD (WDW). UPON MY ARRIVAL, I RESPONDED TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM TO CHECK ON BARBARA WORMALD WHO WAS HURT IN THE BOATING ACCIDENT.

UP ON MY ARRIVAL SHE WAS AWAKE BUT WAS BEING CARED FOR BY EMERGENCY PERSONNEL. I WAS TOLD THAT SHE HAD A COLLAPSED LUNG, BROKEN RIBS AND POSSIBLE SPINAL INJURIES. DOCTOR CHEATAM WAS TAKING CARE OF THE VICTIM’S INJURIES.

I THEN SPOKE TO MICHAEL WORMALD (REPORTER) WHO WAS DRIVING THE BOAT WHEN THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED. HIS WIFE, BARBARA, WAS IN THE PASSENGER SEAT WHEN THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED. WORMALD STATED THAT AT THIS TIME HE HAD NO INJURIES AND HE DID NOT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN DRINKING ANY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

MICHAEL STATED THAT ON 04-22-10, AT APPROX 1545 HRS, HE AND HIS WIFE RENTED A SMALL BOAT AT DOWN TOWN DISNEY AND DROVE TO OLD KEY WEST THROUGH THE WDW WATER WAYS. AT THIS TIME THE BOAT ENTERED ANOTHER CANAL ON THE WAY TO ANOTHER RESORT. (MICHAEL IS NOT SURE OF THE EXACT LOCATION).

MICHAEL STATED THAT AT THIS TIME, HE OBSERVED A LARGE TRANSPORT FERRY THAT WAS MOVING INTO THE CENTER OF THE CANAL. AT FIRST MICHAEL THOUGHT THAT THE FERRY HAD BACKED OUT AND WAS GOING TO MOVE AWAY FROM HIM AND HIS WIFE. MICHAEL THEN NOTICED THAT THE FERRY WAS COMING AT THEIR BOAT AND WAS ONLY A SHORT DISTANCE AWAY.

AT THIS TIME MICHAEL TURNED SHARP TO THE RIGHT TO AVOID THE FERRY BUT IT WAS TOO LATE AND THE FERRY RAN UP ONTO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE SMALL BOAT. THE LARGE FERRY HIT BARBARA AND RAN OVER TOP OF HER. BARBARA WAS WEDGED BETWEEN THE FERRY AND THE SMALL BOAT MOMENTARILY.

MICHAEL STATED HE YELLED FOR THE FERRY TO STOP AND TO CALL FOR HELP. MINUTES LATER HELP ARRIVED AND THE VICTIM WAS TRANSPORTED TO ORMC.

I DID CONTACT DETECTIVE BEAN (MARINE 12) AND GAVE HIM THE ABOVE LISTED INFORMATION.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad for the guests, but if one has to place blame, it is with them. A large boat can't simply "slam on the breaks" when something crosses its path. Even in full reverse it takes an amazingly long time to slow down. That's why maritime law puts the responsibility on the smaller (quicker and more maneuverable) craft.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    The pictures on WFTV show the ferry involved to be more like the old boats used once at AK for their radio tours. It's described as about 4 times longer than the WFTV news van which would put it nearly 60 ft long. It wasn't one of the smaller pontoon boats according to that report and the WESH report.

The more maneuverable boat, the SeaRaycer in this case, must always give the right of way to the less maneuverable one, the ferry in this case.
    The "ferry" boats that go through here aren't 60 ft long....are they? Aren't they the same size as the boats from POR to DTD? Not trying to start anything, just asking.

I too, would say the SeaRaycer is likely at fault. Those "ferry" boats can't stop on a dime.

I hope she fully recovers soon!
    11/97~Off
    12/01~ASMo
    1/04~Pop
    2/05~Pop
    9/05~POR
    2/06~ASMu
    9/06~POR
    1/07~Pop
    9/07~CS
    9/08~RP
    5/09~WBC
    12/09~POR
    5/10~BCV/BLT
    9/10~OKW
    4/11~OKW
    10/12~CBR
    1/13~POR
    4/13~AKL
    9/13~CBR
    3/14~CBR
    9/14~ASSp
    1/15~Pop
    2/16~ASMu
    1/17~CS
    Next: Sept 19~ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh, I hope the woman makes a complete and quick recovery. Its awful to get hurt that way, especially on vacation. I'm sending her prayers and pixiedust!

We rented water mice in Nov. and were told several times that the smaller water craft MUST ALWAYS stay out of the way and yeild to the larger water craft. They stressed this point several times. I'm sure this couple were told the same thing and possibly just didn't see the ferry in enough time to steer clear. What a shamed for this to happen.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amy_617 View Post
    The "ferry" boats that go through here aren't 60 ft long....are they? Aren't they the same size as the boats from POR to DTD? Not trying to start anything, just asking.

I too, would say the SeaRaycer is likely at fault. Those "ferry" boats can't stop on a dime.

I hope she fully recovers soon!
    I too hope she recovers and its very unfortunate.

The picture they showed on the WFTV video report looked to be about that long, it looked a bit like one of the old riverboats at AK, though not quite those either I think. When one of those was used temporarily at the Poly last year it would have been 50-60ft.

The reporter stood beside their news van and said that the ferry was about 4 times the length of their van. So I'm going on that which would put it somewhere around 60ft ,maybe less depending on how long the van is. Regardless, its long and will not stop quickly and won't be anywhere near as maneuverable as the Sea Raycer.

Post Thanks / Like

That is awful.

I hope Barbara recovers.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

those boats are not 60ft long, that would make them about the length of a semi truck, they are more like 30 to 40 ft, the news van is only about 10ft or less. but still at 40ft it is a l lot harder to stop than the little boat the couple was in.

coming from key west where tourist come and rent things like mopeds, wave-runners, and other devices they don't have experience using, i can say that accidents like this aren't uncommon. people come to they keys and lose all sense and think they can become daredevils and don't think through the consequences of their actions.

it is sad to see things like this happen, i wouldn't be surprised if they try to sue disney for damages, but from my perspective they were totally in the wrong, their boat was much more agile, and the whole i thought it was backing up thing is crazy if they were in open water why would a the ferry boat back up. they got into this mess because they were reckless.

that being said i do hope a full and complete recovery to all that were injured.
    “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
    Arthur C. Clarke

"Disney Imagineers- mixing imagination with vision and technology to really bring magic to life"

“The closer you look at something, the more you see…”

Post Thanks / Like

Sending well wishes her way!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

When I rode the Sea Raycers (they haven't been Water Mice in years) last time, it was stressed that I had to give right of way to EVERYTHING.

While I did sightsee, I always watched for Disney-owned boats.

It isn't hard to watch for the boats, especially if you know Disney-owned boats are in the area. While it is a sad turn of events, the fault is on the drivers of the Sea Raycers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeace View Post
    those boats are not 60ft long, that would make them about the length of a semi truck, they are more like 30 to 40 ft, the news van is only about 10ft or less. but still at 40ft it is a l lot harder to stop than the little boat the couple was in.
    News van only 10ft?? Not really. A Chevy Malibu Sedan is just under 16ft (GM web site) the small GMC Savanna van is just under 19ft (GM web site) and the small Ford E series is just over 18ft (Ford web site). No van is 10ft or less in length. So multiply those by 4 like the news person said and you would be getting close to that. The boat shown would easily take up the width of my house lot which is 60 ft.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow hope she is recovering quickly. It sounds like the Disney driver responded appropriatly (putting the boat into reverse and calling for help so she was helped ASAP). From the report, it sounds like the driver of the smaller craft might actually realize he was at fault here. Probably won't stop them from trying to sue but at least so far it doesn't sound like they are blaming Disney and trying to stop the boat rentals. Sending pixie dust for a quick recovery. Horrible thing to happen, especially on vacation.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: