Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - April 30-May 16, 2010

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - April 30-May 16, 2010

Each day in April, I'll update this first post with the forecast, both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. If you want to see the exact conditions for your travel dates over the last few years, go to our historic weather page in Info Central here. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Friday pm, April 30, 2010
    The high today should peg out around 82. There's some storms firing up today, but it looks like they'll stay north of Orlando. Tomorrow we'll see more of a warm up with the humidity really kicking in as a southerly flow returns. Highs tomorrow through Tuesday should stay 88-90 with lows 65-67. With the moisture and warmer temps I can't rule out a pop up afternoon thunderstorm, but no major rain event will occur. While I have 90 as the max for Monday, I have to note the GFS 12z run has a 594 contour sitting right over Orlando on Monday, which could mean 91-93. Right now I still think 90 max, but it's going to be warm either way. Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning some showers and thunderstorms are possible. On the 6z run several of the models had a fairly significant rain on Wednesday, but they all backed off to just scattered showers on the 12z. The heat should back off to 82-84 for Wednesday through Friday, but afternoon thunderstorms will be possible each day.

Long range...May 8-16 nothing really changes. Highs should be mid 80s with lows in the mid 60s and a chance of an afternoon thunderstorm popping up pretty much every day. This won't be a "you can count on it" situation like in the summer, but there will be enough moisture with the sea breeze to leave a chance for rain every day.

Travel Impact
    At 12:15 pm CDT, no active delays, but there's a good risk of severe storms across the Plains today, so that could change. For tomorrow, a severe weather risk exists for AL, TN, KY, southern OH & IN, IL, MO, KS, NE, OK, eastern TX, AR, LA, and MS.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here and here to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday!!! thanks for all you do for us!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope that voodooland is wrong. We arrive on the 24th with our best friends and their 2 little girls (Mom and the girls have never been). This weather would not be helpful.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
    I really hope that voodooland is wrong. We arrive on the 24th with our best friends and their 2 little girls (Mom and the girls have never been). This weather would not be helpful.
    I would like to second that. We will be there april 24th - May 1st with my parents (first timers) - with carriage ride reservations the 24th at 5:30pm. My heart is sinking that we may be encountering a lot of RAIN!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    My heart is sinking that we may be encountering a lot of RAIN!
    No, not a lot of rain. It's looking like the pattern will be shifting to a more active one at the end of this month. However, rarely are these systems all day rainouts. I think it would be more like what the long range models show today...arriving during the evening of one day and tapering off the morning of the next. You won't be wet all day in the parks either day.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    No, not a lot of rain. It's looking like the pattern will be shifting to a more active one at the end of this month. However, rarely are these systems all day rainouts. I think it would be more like what the long range models show today...arriving during the evening of one day and tapering off the morning of the next. You won't be wet all day in the parks either day.
    I so hope you are right!!!
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Is it typical for WDW to still be this "cool" in mid-April or are you experiencing a cooler than normal spring? Do you think the warm up will continue gradually, or did you think it'll be a big temperature swing when things do change? Just looking for your expert opinion! I'm starting to get excited that mid May won't be as hot as expected, but trying to keep myself in check!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a cooler than normal spring. I think there's at least a half-decent chance that will continue through early to mid-May. When the shift happens it'll probably be sudden, and this is especially true if Orlando doesn't get significant rain soon. Too early to tell about mid-May just yet, but the pattern continues to favor normal to slightly below normal temps.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We're thinking of taking a quick four day trip, without kids, for our anniversary May 3 - 6, any thoughts on weather and crowds?
    Tricia:
    Mom to mouse obsessed kids: Anthony 12 - Maggie 6.

September '01 - PORS
    October '04 - off site
    September '08 - POFQ
    February '10 - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A&M'sMommy View Post
    We're thinking of taking a quick four day trip, without kids, for our anniversary May 3 - 6, any thoughts on weather and crowds?
    Hopefully both will be great since we'll be there the same time.

Crowds are looking to be moderate. Not too bad. It certainly looks to be a little lower than the same week last year.

Weather is much harder to say. I still think temps will be at or a little below normal, which would mean upper 70s or (more likely) low to mid 80s. I don't think we'll see the mid 90s of last year, either. Rain is very difficult to say at the moment. Things are beginning to look like a more active pattern will set up at the end of April, which could mean 1 or 2 rain chances during the first week of May. It will depend on how strong the ridge is by then and it'll be another 4-6 days before I begin to get an inkling on that one.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

Any thoughts on the humidity first week of May?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Chris,

Any thoughts on the humidity first week of May?
    Best guess right now is it won't be too bad. The main flow doesn't seem set up to pump a lot of moisture over Orlando so I think we'll be okay. We'll see for sure in another few days.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info....We will be there from April 24 - May 4th. A little rain will be ok I guess, the past 3 years we were at WDW at the same time - I think we saw rain 2 times...can't complain.....I will still have fun regardless....

Thanks for the daily updates too....it's great!
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are right about your updated forecast the week of April 24th - but this must be a really tricky system potentially hitting the area because I literally look at about 5 different sites and they all say something different! RAIN!!! NO Rain!!! RAIN!!! NO Rain!! Mild/Warm/Sunny/AGH!!!! LOL...But so far I like yours the best..... Thanks for keeping us updated - hoping for great weather for all you guys going the 1st week in May!!!!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    I hope you are right about your updated forecast the week of April 24th - but this must be a really tricky system potentially hitting the area because I literally look at about 5 different sites and they all say something different!
    It really is pretty tricky. As I've mentioned before, all of the "fill in your zip code" sites use 1 model and are completely computerized. No human interaction. Some of them use the 06z model run, some the 12z, some the 00z and so on and because the system looks different on every model run you get differences among all the sites. Obviously, I'm looking at all the models and it's still confusing. I think it'll be a couple of more days before it starts to make sense.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say a big Thank You for all the time you put into the forcasting. It must be very time consuming and I really appreciate it. I always check your forcast daily starting about a month before my trip. I will be there April 30th through May 6th so I will be checking in every day.
    Again THANK YOU!
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerfreak View Post
    I will be there April 30th through May 6th so I will be checking in every day. Again THANK YOU!
    My pleasure. I enjoy doing it (or I wouldn't put in the time). Maybe we'll see you down there since we arrive May 3.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

You know you are getting close when you can actually see weather forecasts for your trip! Thanks for the updates Chris!
    Sandy G.

First Vacation Trip-DXL, August, 2000
    Last Trip-Yacht Club December 2017
    Next Up-The Swan December 2018
    Many In Between

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting these weather forecasts. We'll be driving in April 30/May 1. I'm hoping that things in your forecast don't change too much for the week of May 1-May 8. We're used to heat and humidity, but would really like to avoid a lot of rain. I'll keep checking back as we get closer. Thanks again!
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    I'm hoping that things in your forecast don't change too much for the week of May 1-May 8.
    Since my family will be there the same week we're hoping for the same thing. However, the meteorologist in me knows that Orlando actually needs some rain so I can't complain too much if we get a rainy day.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: