Quantcast Rumors about a Disney Extreme Park - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If Walt builds it, they will come!!
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supercali View Post
    I understand that many on the boards would like to keep WDW in a time capsule, but I must disagree. Sure, right now with the current economy it wouldn't be wise to add a fifth park. However, within the next 10 years the economy and population will grow enough to more than support it. We can all make up reasons why they should or shouldn't add a fifth park, but I trust that the company knows more about the numbers and facts than we do. Time will tell how the fifth park scenario plays out.
    I'm not opposed to a 5th gate someday. However, I do think that AK and DHS are still incomplete parks. If I was running the show I would be focusing on "plusing" what is currently already their instead undertaking a huge project like a 5th gate.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

You're absolutely right DHS and DAK need more attention. Here's hoping for an expanded Pixar Place or Lost ride and Beastly Kingdom someday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supercali View Post
    You're absolutely right DHS and DAK need more attention. Here's hoping for an expanded Pixar Place or Lost ride and Beastly Kingdom someday!
    I agree.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    THIS JUST IN: Disney is building a new park in Virginia called Disney's America... Oh wait, nevermind... LOL...
    As a local who was very familiar with Disney's America, I have to take issue with grouping it with rumors. It was real plan announced by Michael Eisner and the then-governor of Virginia, and then abandoned.

Whether it was a good idea or not is another matter.

The sad reality of the situation was that the park was defeated by nimby-ism who worried about the park bringing too much traffic too close to historic battlefields. Well, fast-forward to 2009 and guess what the area has: mind-numbingly awful traffic for 12+ hours a day from all of the housing development that went into this area instead.

If the park had been built, the infrastructure to accommodate all of the traffic would have been built, better master planning would have been done, and the area would be much more appealing and efficient today.
    Last edited by MidnTPK; 03-22-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typos
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MidnTPK View Post
    As a local who was very familiar with Disney's America, I have to take issue with grouping it with rumors. It was real plan announced by Michael Eisner and the then-governor of Virginia, and then abandoned.

Whether it was a good idea or not is another matter.
    I agree, actually. Disney's America was a really for-real theme park that (I think) would have been a great addition to their stable of offerings.

Living so close to the D.C./Virginia area I, for one, really mourn it's loss.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think one day there will be a 5th park, there will be a 2nd downtown disney area over by Animal Kingdom, there will be a 3rd water park, but its all going to take time. Look how much Disney has changed in the last 30 years, its crazy the growth and upgrades. They will add more resorts, upgrade the current parks, etc...but unfortunately for us, we have to be patient
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Smile extreme park?

it could be a roller coaster park. coasters come in all different sizes, shapes, colors and designs. that would be fun.

my imagination can see roller coasters that don't even look like a roller coaster.

has anyone ridden crushes (from nemo) roller coaster at disneyland paris? that is one of the most interesting and fun coasters i have ever seen. i wish we had one in wdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomatoe pie View Post
    has anyone ridden crushes (from nemo) roller coaster at disneyland paris? that is one of the most interesting and fun coasters i have ever seen.
    I have. I agree that it is really great. I remember feeling like I was floating. A great but smooth thrilling ride without being shaky.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's not about having the money or not having the money, it's about spending your money wisely.
    Especially when this could be 2-5 years of bonuses for Disney senior staff.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see a fifth gate coming to fruition for a very long time, if ever. The late 80s and 90s were periods of explosive growth and financial optimism, the likes of which I don't think we'll ever see again in our lifetimes.

For comparison, in the 11-year period between 1971 and 1982, Disney opened two theme parks (Magic Kingdom and Epcot), two resorts (Poly and Contemporary), and River Country. In the 12-year period from 1988 to 2000, Disney opened two more theme parks, two water parks, and 15 resorts, (three of them DVC). (PM me if you want a list.)

Since 2000, only six resorts have opened, four of them DVC.

WDW's expansion plan currently is selling DVC. I'm sure they're re-examining their business models yet again, as the market for DVC buyers is probably close to saturated. They haven't opened a "regular" resort since 2002, and that was Pop Century, which had already been in the works for years.

It's encouraging to me that they're re-doing Fantasyland. To me that says they're interested in getting visitors back by investing in what they already have. I'm optimistic about the Studios because of that (although they REALLY need some fresh ideas there).
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I don't think a Fifth Park is likely within the Foreseeable future. They are about to reimagine Fantasy Land in the Magic Kingdom, these kinds of things aren't cheap. Especially to the level of what Ive heard they are doing.

Not to mention the Billion Dollar Re-Imagining of California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort. I think of any Disney theme park California Adventure was the one with the biggest need for some investments for changes. Outside of Soarin, and Its a Bugs Life and California Screaming California Adventure really lacked for a Disney Feel.

I just don't see Disney planning to sink any more money at the moment in order to build a 5th Gate. Until their current projects are completed, especially since the new Cars Ride at California Adventure is supposedly the most expensive ride Disney has designed to date.

I have to agree with other posters that its just far more likely that Disney will focus on improvements of current parks over entirely new parks. They can generate a great deal of interest by building one new top attraction, and hyping it up, far cheaper then designing an entirely new Park.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Upcoming Trip: None planned at the moment.

2012 - Offsite
    2010 - CR
    2009 - CR
    2007 - CR
    2005 - CR
    Disneyland - Many Times 1985 - 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    They haven't opened a "regular" resort since 2002, and that was Pop Century, which had already been in the works for years.
    Right and bear in mind that Pop Century still sits half built. They've never even bothered to complete the second half of it. What does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    I have to agree with other posters that its just far more likely that Disney will focus on improvements of current parks over entirely new parks. They can generate a great deal of interest by building one new top attraction, and hyping it up, far cheaper then designing an entirely new Park.
    Right, I totally agree. The ROI on building an entire new theme park isn't there anymore.

When they added all those new parks and resorts during The Disney Decade, that was an attempt to turn Walt Disney World into something more than a two or three day stop that was part of an overall Central Florida vacation. In other words (although people may not believe it now or remember it), back before the Studios opened most people would spend maybe 3 or 4 days in Disney World and then also travel to other spots like Kennedy Space Center, Busch Gardens Tampa, Gatorland, Cypress Gardens, etc.

Eisner saw that and wanted to give people a reason to stay longer and that thought process is what gave us DHS and AK (not to mention about a dozen new resorts).

But that goal has been met now. They've extended the average stay to about its limit, so there's just no additional revenue stream to be had from adding an entire new park. Well ... at least not one that justify's that level of expense anyway.

No, I agree with you ... adding single signature attractions or expansions of existing parks now suits their needs much more appropriately from a cost/benefit standpoint.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post

Not to mention the Billion Dollar Re-Imagining of California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort. I think of any Disney theme park California Adventure was the one with the biggest need for some investments for changes. Outside of Soarin, and Its a Bugs Life and California Screaming California Adventure really lacked for a Disney Feel.

I just don't see Disney planning to sink any more money at the moment in order to build a 5th Gate. Until their current projects are completed, especially since the new Cars Ride at California Adventure is supposedly the most expensive ride Disney has designed to date.

Agree, about California Adventure. Went there for the first time in 2008 and it was enjoyable but it still felt like the magic was missing (Hollywood Studios feels that way sometimes). Also the new Cars ride at CA is going to be using the same technology (hopefully updated) that was used for TestTrack, so it probably is extremely expensive.

It just makes more financial sense to add to current parks. I think there are enough Hotels/DVC resorts at WDW property. Although it wouldn't surprise me if current Deluxes get partial DVC conversions.I hope the focus does shift back to the parks and stays that way for awhile.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I hope the focus does shift back to the parks and stays that way for awhile.
    I've seen the latest concept art and promo shots for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

For Disney's sake, I hope the focus shifts back to the parks, too, or they're in trouble.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

The 5th park will come and Marvel will be a big part of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see some new things in the Disney area - new rides in Tomorrowland, new exhibits and/or rides in Epcot. (SSE's revamp... eh. Been there twice since, and ridden it three or four times, and I really prefer the original.) AK feels badly overcrowded - I know it's supposed to feel 'initmate', but there's a big difference to me between inimate and cramped.

DHS is pretty good - maybe I haven't spent as much time there, but it doesn't seem as 'worn' as the other parks.

Maybe what I really want is a 'time capsule' park setup - where the old rides stay the same, and several completely new rides come on line every five years or so. I was SO excited with Mission: Space I couldn't wait to get there after it opened. But a revamped Fantasyland? Um...

Ah, sure. That'll draw me down posthaste.

Back in the day, the Tomorrowland episodes were always my favorite. EPCOT and Tomorrowland have been my favorite park and park sections. So I'd LOVE to see more future-themed stuff put in... though I guess one of the big problems with trying to keep EPCOT and Tomorrowland ahead of the times is trying to figure out where the future is headed!
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

My DH tells me my dream job is being a Disney CM...so we plan to retire there in the next 10 years so I can get a job. It's good to know that they will need worker bees even in a bad economy.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Not that this has any bearing on anything but maybe something to add into the theories....

Being an engineer i am seeing that projects are being bid much much cheaper these days than ever before. Suppliers are giving great rates on materials, contractors need work just to stay afloat, painters need things to paint and so on and so forth... If you have the money, (which i am assuming disney does), now is the time to get things built at a great price. I am just assuming but i bet this is probably why that fantasyland refurb seemed to come out of nowhere and start very quickly.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: