Quantcast Boma overhyped

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boma overhyped

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boma overhyped

I've been hearing for years from friends and fellow posters that Boma's was great. So I finally went there on my last trip...and it was just ok. It had some good dishes, but not a lot. There was too much curry being used on that menu. It was good, but not $30 good. Anyway, wondered if anyone else had the same experience.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a few people say that they were disappointed. I'm not a fan of curry and not in a hurry to go so far out of the way for dinner. Sorry you were disappointed. But at least you gave it a try.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it may have more to do with the DDP than being overhyped. The past few times I've been there were not as good as I remember, but neither are MANY of the restaurants.

We haven't been there in our last couple of trips, and we stay at AKL.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE BOMA!!!! FAVORITE at WDW!!!!!
    23rd visit March 20-25 @ Pop Century!

Have stayed at Polynesian, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, PO Riverside, AS Sports, Music, Movies, and Pop Century.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are somewhat adventurous eaters so we went to Boma about 4 years ago and hated it.We said that we'd never go back and we haven't.Most people love it but it just wasn't our thing.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Sorry that it was a disappointment for you. DH and I quite like their food.

I think sometimes with the "Hype" of any of the wide variety of restaurants Disney has, folks sometimes forget that these are also cuisines of the world. Boma is African cuisine and therefore will be heavily flavoured (excuse the pun) like truly African dishes. As will Morroccan, Japanese, Italian cuisine they have there own distinctive styles, and to us, that is what makes them so unique and good.

But definitely not everyone can handle cuisine with unusual, at least to our north american palettes, spices and flavour twists.

Good on ya for trying though! Leaves more watermelon salad and Zebra domes for me!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Boma but in general I don't find too many TS meals worth the price of admission.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Sorry that it was a disappointment for you. DH and I quite like their food.

I think sometimes with the "Hype" of any of the wide variety of restaurants Disney has, folks sometimes forget that these are also cuisines of the world. Boma is African cuisine and therefore will be heavily flavoured (excuse the pun) like truly African dishes. As will Morroccan, Japanese, Italian cuisine they have there own distinctive styles, and to us, that is what makes them so unique and good.

But definitely not everyone can handle cuisine with unusual, at least to our north american palettes, spices and flavour twists.

Good on ya for trying though! Leaves more watermelon salad and Zebra domes for me!
    Well said.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

We love Boma and go almost every trip (and we go multiple times per year). We do tend to like more spiced foods, DH has traveled the world with work so he's more adventurous than most. We like the selection, there's usually enough mac&cheese , french fires for the little ones and the African wines are fun to experiment with. Not for everyone and I agree most TS are overpriced.
    Married to a beast....

Post Thanks / Like

Just like most things "to each his own". We have been there a few times and always enjoyed their food. But it is good when you try things for yourself.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Boma for the first time last year and we really enjoyed it. It was nice to try something different that we can't get at home. There were some dishes we didn't care for, but the soup, bread and desserts were wonderful! We would definitely go back again.
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy Boma. I look forward to trying new dishes and love when I find something good. I enjoy curry so that's not an issue for me. I think Dole Whips, Casey's Hot Dog's and ALL charaqcter buffets are overhyped. To each his/her own. That's why there's "31 flavors".
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed it. I didn't notice a lot of curry? I don't know about "hype" but this one - like ohana's - tends to have people who love it and others who hate it, and not a lot in between. Definitely one of my "must do's", though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Boma has far more lovers than haters, but there isn't a restaurant or resort or theme park that everyone loves the same! Boma is probably our favorite place to eat, but I do know a couple people that don't like it enough to go back. Fortunately, there are scores of other places at Disney that you might like better. As for us, we are really looking forward to our upcoming dinner there this week!!

Post Thanks / Like

Boma has been great for me. I've always had good food, and not many dishes have actually had curry for us. But maybe it's just not your thing. The one I think is overhyped is Le Cellier. It was just meh for me. Not bad, but I've had far better.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would say give it another try. We went to Boma's about 5 years ago and were really disappointed in the food. I kept reading all the great reviews and so last year when we were down there were night EMH's at AK so I decided to give Boma another try. This time we really enjoyed it.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Boma is our ablsolute favorite at WDW. We love the soups, desserts and variety of everything else. The flatbreads with dips are very good. We don't have anything like Boma at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Boma has been great for me. I've always had good food, and not many dishes have actually had curry for us. But maybe it's just not your thing. The one I think is overhyped is Le Cellier. It was just meh for me. Not bad, but I've had far better.
    Sherri, get out of my mind, please! Those were my thoughts exactly.

I also really like Boma's soups, and have been known to sneak in a breakfast buffet there as well. I really do enjoy getting to try different cuisines.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Boma is one of my favorites. That said I love curry-based dishes, as well as some of the other spice combinations used there. I think the soups there are the best.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    I think sometimes with the "Hype" of any of the wide variety of restaurants Disney has, folks sometimes forget that these are also cuisines of the world....
    I also love Boma, but my husband was less than thrilled with the food when we went. We ate the same items, so I know it wasn't due to the quality, but his familiarity with the flavors and spices used. He was a fussy eater growing up, so he basically lived off of buttered pasta. There were a lot of spices at our dinner that I knew he had never tried before.

I enjoy the opportunity you have at Disney to experience things that you wouldn't be able to at home. I say give any place a try and make your own decisions - you never know if you'll like something until you try it!
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: