Quantcast Downtown Resort Area kid Friendly?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Downtown Resort Area kid Friendly?

We will be taking our daughter to Disneyworld in a year for the first time and of course are planning where to stay. I see maps where the hotels/resorts are located and looking at reviews. She will be 4 yrs old. Are the Downtown Disney Resort area mostly for adults? If you had a 4 yr old where would you stay? Also we want her to meet mickey and the cast of characters.

Thanks. John in Michigan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

By Downtown Disney resort areas, are you speaking of Disney owned and run resorts or non-Disney owned Downtown Disney resorts which would comprise a wide variety of hotel names?
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Disneys Old Key West Resort, port of new Orleans,Saratoga Springs Spa and Resort. Trying to find somewhere centrally located if thats even possible. Thanks for your help.

John in Michigan

Post Thanks / Like

Centrally located for a 4yr old actually means Magic Kingdom... At that age, I would probably try to be a little closer to MK than the rest, Wilderness Lodge is a good lower cost solution.

On the other hand, the pool area at AKL and BC are fantastic for the little ones, but they are further away from MK. The animals area a great distraction at AKL as well.

Personally, I don't much care for the DTD Area resorts, although Port Orleans Riverside isn't too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll find all Disney resorts are kid friendly. Personally, with a 4 year old, I'd probably select a resort in the Magic Kingdom area - Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Contemporary and/or Grand Floridian would be on my list. If you want to meet Mickey, I'd suggest breakfast at Chef Mickey's. Four year old girls are usually big princess fans so I'd also suggest a breakfast with the princesses in either Norway or Cinderella's Royal table. You might also consider a makeover at Bibbidy Bobbity Boutique.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what your budget constraints are but on- site in value we like Pop, in moderate we like Port Orleans french Quarter or Riverside, in deluxe we like them all LOL. For convience with a little one maybe one on the monorail.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with "betteratmk"...My kids absolutely loved the larger than life theming at Pop as toddlers & preschoolers. They especially liked the pool and Goofy Splash pad.

In terms of convenience with small children, you can't beat a monorail hotel, but they are all deluxe and quite pricey. But it is much easier to get to MK and Epcot on the monorail and bus service(needed for AK & DHS) from these hotels never seem to be so crowded.

We have stayed at several different resorts through WDW and I feel that except at the Deluxe hotels, the bus service was about the same in terms of wait, # of people on buses, and distances to parks. For each park that you are closer to, there is one that is further away.

You are going to have a great trip. Have fun planning.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a four year old and a two year old, and we usually alternate between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and All Star Music. Lately my daughter has been preferring ASMu - she loves the pool with the DJ, music and games, and all the character icons all over the resort. My husband and I always say that staying in the All Stars feels like you never left the park!

Next time we are going down for a conference for my husband's work, so we get to stay in a monorail resort if we choose - and we jumped on it. The kids really want to do Magic Kingdom most of the time and you can't beat the convenience of the monorail and the proximity of those resorts to MK.

I have personally wanted to stay at Saratoga Springs just to have all that space, but every time I drive by it seems so disconnected from the rest of the Disney property, as does all of DTD for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! We have 3 boys and have stayed in POP and All Start Movies, my boys prefer ASMo. The themeing of the hotel is great for kids (and adults), and of the 3 Values we have been to (POP, Movies, Sports) ASMo has the best pool. This is if you are going the Value Resort route.

Have fun!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to DTD resorts, Riverside would be the best. The atmosphere is very nice and calming and the pool is awesome! They also have a fun playground. I'm 27 and still playing on it, it's that fun

Other resorts away from DTD would be POP. It's very kid-friendly. I also enjoy it as an adult.
    4 trips from 83-85 Buena Vista Palace
    6/90 CB
    12/91 CB
    6/93 DL
    6/94 DL
    2/95 DL
    12/95 WL
    11/96 Disney Institute
    5/98 DL
    5/00 DL
    11/02 ASM
    9/04 PO RS