Quantcast Driving down

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving down

I am going to be driving down on my next trip. It will more than likely be at the end of July or August....

If you drive down and stay on Disney property, do you take the buses or do you drive your car? I really like just hopping on a bus and not having to drive. We will have our infant son with us this time and lugging his stroller on and off a bus wont be the most fun in the world.....
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2008 Wilderness Lodge and Coronado
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We do both. No mater where we stay we.....
    We never take the bus to Downtown Disney.
    Usually drive to AK.

Depending on our hotel location:
    Sometimes drive to the Studios.

Rarely drive to MK no mater where we are staying.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    We do both. No mater where we stay we.....
    We never take the bus to Downtown Disney.
    Usually drive to AK.

Depending on our hotel location:
    Sometimes drive to the Studios.

Rarely drive to MK no mater where we are staying.
    Kind of what I was telling her last night.....We have stayed at POP/WL/CSR and it seemed to take forever getting to DTD.

I just dont want to battle with traffic at night trying to get out of a park...We are driving for a couple reasons.....one it will be cheaper than 750.00 for us to drive down, but also we are going to Universal for two days and dont want to have to get a rental.....
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

We drove on our last trip-after having flown in the past with no car and all busses.

I am a big fan of the busses, I think the whole system is very organized and conveinent-I doubt anywhere else in the whole entire world has a bus system such as this.

However, as I said, we drove down last time and never once took a bus and it was awesome! We could go anywhere, when we wanted, no waiting, we could stop at McDonalds (right outside the All Star Values). We could go to mini golf, without having to worry about how many times to switch busses. We went to Downtown Disney with no hassle. It was great. The only place I could see it being difficult (as far as lugging the stroller around) is if you have to park way out at the TTC to ride the monorail to MK or Epcot and have to ride a tram to get to the monorail.

We went in October, not very crowded, we were early birds this trip and had no issues with parking. I will say my Sister went with us and she has difficulty walking (arthritic knees-both) so she has a permanent handicap sticker so we parked in the handicap parking at the TTC-this was still quite a walk for her, but she did okay.

So if you can drive to the parks drive, we have little people and there is nothing worse than at the end of the day at MK, after you have been there all day, and everyone is leaving at the same time, and everyone is trying to get on the busses at the same time. You are holding a sleeping child and lugging a stroller around-it stinks. Go with the car! Remember as long as you are staying on property the parking is free.

Have fun!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive down and have found that if we drive our own vehicle to the parks that we can beat the busses pretty much everywhere. Doing this at the MK is debateable but the kids like the ride around the loop on the monorail anyway. Waiting for the busses with small children and lugging the strollers on and off wasn't worth it for us.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I guess for me I really dont mind doing the busses and such....I like to be submerged into the full Disney experience. I enjoy meeting and talking to people waiting for the bus or being on the bus. I like the fact that I don't have to drive and I can doze off....

My wife on the other hand, she isn't crazy about the waits...we discussed this last night and I think we are leaning towards this......if we are only going to do 1 park and stay there the whole day....we'll do the buses....if we are going to a park then a resort for dinner......we'll probably end up driving
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I drive down every time I go. And I park the car the whole time and let Disney transportation take me where I want to go.
    Also, it's buses- the s isn't doubled.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down driving

We prefer to drive. There are at least 5 of us, so unless we get a great price on airline tickets, it will be driving for us for now on. Next trip we are trying the auto train though. It is great having a car @ WDW. last trip our timing was horrible for the buses and we did a lot of hoping around that required multiple bus transfers--not fun.The only place I don't like driving to is the magic kingdom. I love taking the bus to right outside the gate
    Have a zippity doo-da day!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We always rent a car so we can be in control of where and when we go. I keep think about not renting but I like the control.
    CBR-Jan 28-Feb 5 2010
    AKL-Dec 2008
    CBR- Oct. 2006
    POR-May 2005
    All Star Movies-Oct. 2003 [kids first trip]
    Coronado-Oct. 2000 [2nd. honeymoon]
    CBR-Oct. 1995 [honeymoon 1st. trip ever]

Post Thanks / Like

We have always had a vehicle at WDW, whether our own or a rental. The first trips, we drove everywhere. Then in 2007 DSs wanted to ride the bus (it was a novelty to them) and we did. After that the only place we drive is to DTD.

I don't know what it was on our trip in December, if they are offering more busses or we were just lucky, but it felt like we were hitting the transportation lottery!!! We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus or boat ANYWHERE!!! I am definitely a fan of Disney Transportation now!!!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

We always have a car, either our own or a rental. The Disney transportation just takes waayyy too long. We like to go where we want, when we want, including outside the park for groceries or a meal or two. With the crowds you will see at the end of July, early August, wait until you see how long the waits are for the busses and Monorail.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboundagain View Post
    We always have a car, either our own or a rental. The Disney transportation just takes waayyy too long. We like to go where we want, when we want, including outside the park for groceries or a meal or two. With the crowds you will see at the end of July, early August, wait until you see how long the waits are for the busses and Monorail.
    I was there for my Honeymoon in August 2 years ago, I don't remember the transportation being bad at WL....we did end up staying 1 night at CSR and we had to wait forever for a bus to DTD there...
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive. Waiting in line with 2 kids after a long day at the parks never appealed to us. It was so much easier to pop the stroller in the car, put the kids in their own, familiar seats and take off. Many afternoons DH & I drove around and took in the Disney sites while the little ones dozed. I also have to admit I was never crazy about the idea of putting my kids on the busses without car seats. Seems like there have been a lot of bus accidents lately and I just don't like the thought of them not being fully restrained.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the problem with the buses and it's not because of lugging strollers on or off them. On our last trip (Dec 08), the bus from WL to EPCOT was standing room only and there was a large man standing in front of me who was texting and not holding on to a railing. Well, on the first turn the bus took he lost his balance and landed on the woman sitting next to me. I was glad that my mother was holding my DS on the other side of the aisle, even thought the man didn't land on me. But would you want some oblivious person squashing your kid because they're not paying attention to what is going on around them?

From your signature, it looks like you're staying at the Poly, so you have the monorail to go to MK and EPCOT, which will probably be the two parks where you will be at most. You might want to drive to AK. Not sure about DHS (almost wrote MGM), but you could take the boat from EPCOT. However, if you want to go first thing in the morning, then it's probably better to drive.

When we stayed at the Poly, we took the monorail or the bus, but we didn't have any children with us at the time. With the buses, it's more than just the lugging of the stroller on/off the bus, it's the possibility of standing room only that is the bigger problem, in addition to a possible long wait even before you get on the bus.

Good luck and have a great time!
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

We take the buses, but I also prefer to drive. My problem with the public transporation - whether it be buses, monorail or boats - is that I get motion sickness. Being enclosed (re: trapped) and the start/stop/swaying motion of the transportation is not good - add extra crowded and I'm ready to push small children and old ladies (not really, but close ) out of the way to quickly exit at the next stop. Even my precious babies will try to comfort me when they see me getting a little green around the gills...
    So, with MK, I am sort of stuck, but with the others, unless it is early morning and I know we aren't staying in the same park until closing, I prefer to drive.
    Oh and as to MK - I think we are staying at Contemporary next trip ... part of my reasoning being the walk to MK!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're thinking of staying at the Poly, definitely monorail to MK. I would probably drive to everything else with an infant. It is alot easier to put the stroller in your car vs. the bus. Definitely drive to other resorts if you are going to them. Have a great time.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

We love to just leave the car in the parking lot and not see it until we leave...We have had to drive a few times and we didn't like it...I love leaving it up to Disney to do the driving for us...No worries...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

We have driven many times and after almost 2 days of being in the van we are more than happy to park it and let Disney do our driving. The time always seems to go by to fast anyway and we are back in the van for the sad 2 day ride back home
    All Star Sports 1996
    All Star Movies/Dixie1999
    POR/CBR 2001
    Animal Kingdom Lodge/Poly/POR 2003
    Pop,Port Orleans,Wilderness Lodge, Poly 2006
    Caribbean Beach 2007
    Caribbean Beach/Poly 2010 College graduation for DD
    Next Trip--June 2014 AoA Resort
    Girls trip Thanksgiving 2015.Port Orleans!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We never even see our car til we're ready to leave. All WDW transportation is designed to accomodate strollers. Would recommend a foldable stroller, though. Much easier to navigate.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive to WDW and rarely use our car once we are there. We like the convenience of being to arrive right at the turnstiles on the buses, and not having to remember where we parked, etc. It is especially better to use the buses at MK where the parking lot is a long way from the turnstiles. But we sometimes drive to AK when we have an early breakfast there and usuallly drive to the water parks and DTD.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: