Quantcast Need your opinion please...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Need your opinion please...

Normally I go to WDW every summer and stay on site with the dining plan. This year due to the economy the only way that I will be able to go is to stay offsite. I am having a hard time with this beacuse I have never stayed offsite and never really wanted to. That being said it is better to go and stay offsite than to not go at all. Right????
    DakandZakMom
    7-03 POR
    7-05 All Star movies
    07-06 Pop Century
    07-07 Pop Century
    07-08 POR
    07-09 Pop Century
    07-10 Pop Century
    07-11 POR
    07-12 Pop Century
    07-14 PO French Quarter
    07-16 Coronado Springs

A dream is a wish your heart makes.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have never stayed offsite, but she has accepted a postion at a time share company as a trip planner, and she can get a realy good deal staying offsite. So I would say future trips for us is offsite. With that said, it depends if you use the extras you get staying onsite, EMH, food plan, transportation, etc. I noticed this Dec that parking fees at the parks are now $12 a day. I know that depending on how you eat, that can get expensive without the food plan. But I would go and stay offsite in order to go.
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Run the numbers and make sure you include parking, extra time to get places, gas, rental car, etc into the cost of the trip.

I have found that many times staying offsite is more expensive (or at the very least a wash) than settling for onsite.

Post Thanks / Like

I have run the numbers and it seems to be $1000 cheaper to stay offsite. I would drive either way. I am bummed. Maybe a really good deal on rooms will come up....
    DakandZakMom
    7-03 POR
    7-05 All Star movies
    07-06 Pop Century
    07-07 Pop Century
    07-08 POR
    07-09 Pop Century
    07-10 Pop Century
    07-11 POR
    07-12 Pop Century
    07-14 PO French Quarter
    07-16 Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the numbers for our trip (just back) and we would have saved only about $100 staying off property. Having said that, we did spend two nights off property because we had to leave home early because the weather was threatening.

One other aspect to deal with is driving in WDW and getting to where you're trying to get. The bus drivers make it look so easy...but it's NOT!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DakandZakMom View Post
    I have run the numbers and it seems to be $1000 cheaper to stay offsite. I would drive either way. I am bummed. Maybe a really good deal on rooms will come up....
    That's not hard to believe if you're traveling over the summer. What happens is that Disney really jacks up their rates over the busy summer season, but the off-site places don't raise their's nearly as much so the difference becomes much more significant.

Is going off-peak an option? You can save a small fortune by not going during the busiest time of the year.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done both and would no longer even consider staying off-site. The best part of a disney vacation is total immersion in the magic. Every step you take is all disney...staying off-site brings in the real world and that's why I go to WDW for vacation...to escape real life for a while. I am pretty much a deluxe resort person however, if budget meant chosing between deluxe accomodations offsite and value on site, I would go value on site...and I can't believe I'm saying that...but that's how important the immersion in the magic is to me. If that isn't a big factor for you...then by all means, stay off site and have a great time!!!!!!

If your choice is between not going at all and staying off-ste, then I say you should stay offsite. However, if you swing fewer days but staying at a value, that's what I would do!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies!! I am just being a big baby!! I know that I should be grateful that I can go at all. Thanks again for all the input.
    DakandZakMom
    7-03 POR
    7-05 All Star movies
    07-06 Pop Century
    07-07 Pop Century
    07-08 POR
    07-09 Pop Century
    07-10 Pop Century
    07-11 POR
    07-12 Pop Century
    07-14 PO French Quarter
    07-16 Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to imagine canceling my trip (next week omgomgomgomggojfohfoiewhei)..what was I gonna say?

Oh..canceling my trip next week or staying offsite...much as I LOVE staying onsite, I love the parks more than the hotels. Go, have a ball, and remember a day offsite but still going to Disney is better than a day at work!

BTW how far offsite are we talking? Lots of hotels in the area will still shuttle you to and from the parks!
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Stay offiste & enjoy WDW of course! We visited in April '08, last minute trip and nothing was available on property anywhere! My DH found us a "room" at a hotel on ? ( whatever the hwy is in front of WDW property! LOL) for $47.00 per night! Yes it was only a hotel room but we were able to go to go to WDW! My DH had lost 2nd job in 6 months! After 10 years his company moved to Mexico! Next job let go an entire shift one night! We had planned a very different trip for the fall of that year. DS's were about to go on Spring Break, I had vaca time so we booked, & left in a weeks' time! We drove, also first time for that! It wouldn't be my 1st choice to stay offsite or drive again, but better that than not to go to WDW at all! We were able to move on property by day 3 & we did & felt like we were "home" again, but the price was so good at the offsite hotel that I asked DH if we shouldn't just stay there the entire week? ! DH said NO! But it was a decent property & a huge covered pool and we were minutes from WDW parks! We also had the advantage for the first time ever of having our car & being able to eat cheaper at the various fast food restaurants around us!

Sorry so long, but the point is, if staying offsite lets you comfortably visit WDW - then GO FOR IT! What are you waiting for? Your experience in the parks is definitely not determined by where you sleep!

Sending some pixie dust your way for all good things!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: