Quantcast Most overrated musician - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hmmm ... I mean if you had said that between Achtung and All That You Can't Leave Behind they were very average, I'd have to agree. But I think you're really underestimating All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Unless you've really given both albums a good listen, you're cheating yourself out of some amazing music.
    I agree with everything you said about U2 Ian. Actually, All That You Can't Leave Behind was my introduction to U2, then I got into their 80's material...WOW!!! Atomic Bomb was also really, really good (This generation's Joshua Tree for them IMO and a good argument for album of the decade), but I'm not entirely sold on No Line on the Horizon outside of a couple tracks, yet I was up til 1 AM watching the Rose Bowl concert live. As for the post-1990 comment, I'll compromise by saying between post-Achtung Baby (Released November of 91) and pre-All You Can't Leave Behind (Released October 00) I think U2 went astray. I don't like a lot of the stuff they put out during that 9 year period or so with the exception of a couple songs here and there.

I'm also not from Dylan's generation, but I had the opportunity in high school to take a week long course looking at Bob Dylan's work as a songwriter. Given the time and place for who he was writing for, he made a lot of sense with his lyrics, but you can't always understand Dylan when he sings them yet his songs still resonate today.

I'll toss a bone out: The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, I think they're all good musicians, it's just that I think their solo works are more noticeable to me than the work they did together.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many. Have to agree with Madonna and Miley. Please don't throw tomatoes but my first thought was Taylor Swift. I just don't get it.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

First, I would define an "overrated musician/artist" as any artist or group that the media loves to the point of worship...these artists/musicians can do nothing wrong in the eyes of the media industry, and they are elevated way beyond their level of talent. My DH is a musician (guitarist), and was in bands that landed record deals, so I carry certain styles close to my heart. What impresses me are bands/musicians that can blow me away live, and have a "beyond average" gift or talent. For example, I've seen a LOT of bands in my time...from small "bar" bands, to arena bands, but hands down, Nickelback puts on one of the best live shows ever....Foo Fighters are fantastic musicians,...Steve Vai is an amazingly talented and gifted musician...Tommy Lee is an incredible drummer..., Brad Paisley...has to be one of the best guitarists in any type of music, ....you get the point.

That being said, my list would be:
    The White Stripes (...can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is...)
    Bob Dylan (Hyped for the sake of being hyped...the guy CAN NOT sing.)
    Amy Winehouse (..not even worth a comment)
    Miley Cyrus (..would NEVER have gotten a record deal on the merits of her talent)
    Bruce Springsteen (he can grunt, but I don't call that singing)
    Nirvana (except for Dave Grohl...Dave is amazing)
    Elivs (mostly because my MiL & BiL worship Elvis and think he is the greatest musician of all time...and they drive me insane about it)

Personally, I don't care for rap music at all, but there are performers that are extremely good at what they do....I just can't listen to it long enough to determine who's good and who's not.

Interesting topic, and to read everyone's definitions and preferences.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy2315 View Post
    I'll toss a bone out: The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, I think they're all good musicians, it's just that I think their solo works are more noticeable to me than the work they did together.
    Oh, now you're just being silly. There's no way you can compare their solo work to the quantity of phenomenal music they put out as a group. Sure I like a lot of Paul's solo work (in particular with Wings), but Ringo or George (save for the Travelin' Wilburys), come on. John's wasn't all that impressive.

The Beatles changed the face of music on the entire planet during the 60's and that continues today....just look at the sales of Beatles Rock Band. A whole new generation of people are coming to love them.

This from a follower of them in the 60's while i was in high school....
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Many of those listed as overrated musicians, are not actually musicians at all, they're singers (there is a difference), many are not really even singers but performers or entertainers. Bands have also been listed, and that doesn't make sense either, a band is not a musician.
    I was thinking the same thing, so I just thought that this thread became a "most overrated recording artist" one.

So here are my

Most overrated singer - Mariah Carey - Yes, she has a whatever octave range, but she whispers her songs, she doesn't sing them. And she butchers Christmas songs. IMHO - Christina Aguilera leaves Mariah in the dust. I saw Christina Aguilera performing on TV with the Rolling Stones a while back and DH asked who it was and said her name. He said, "Wow, she really is good". And he hates pop.

Most overrated singer, part 2 - Taylor Swift. OK voice, that's about it. I thought that the songs were catchy, but banal. The accompanying music sounds dated, as does her singing style, by about 10-15 years.

Most overrated musician - Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen may be a good lyricist and excellent live performer, but he's a so-so guitarist and a horrible singer. Seeing him pop in at a John Fogerty concert showed how lacking his talent is as compared to Fogerty's. On a side note, he and Bob Seeger tie for the "most depressing music" award.

Most overrated I don't know what - Lady Gaga - Odd outfits, that's about it.

Another pp mentioned Robbie Williams. Yes, he was overrated, but I did like his work on the Bridget Jones's Diary movie soundtrack.

A pp mentioned Kurt Cobain being overrated. So true. Soundgarden is so much better, as is Rage Against the Machine.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned "Overrated" is a rather difficult one to judge. Does anybody relevant really "rate" Britney or Miley Syrus - do we really hold them to the standards of a "musician" anyway?

I'll pick people who are clearly "rated" by history and have reputations as musicians.

- Madonna. As others have said.

- Nirvana. Being moody/serious has a tendency towards overratedness I've noticed. Nirvana are fine. Just nothing special.

- John Lennon as a solo artist. But certainly not within the Beatles.

- While their music is HUGELY influential and their place in rock history permanent, I really don't think Led Zep hold up to modern scrutiny on their own terms as musicians - rather like Gone With the Wind.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    Please don't throw tomatoes but my first thought was Taylor Swift. I just don't get it.
    It's OK, no tomatoes here. I agree, She is overrated. I do think that's she's a pretty good singer and guitar player, but I don't think she's worth all the hype.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    Please don't throw tomatoes but my first thought was Taylor Swift. I just don't get it.
    *drops tomato* Since you said please...
    Taylor is my absolute favorite, but everyone has different tastes and opinions!

I think the majority of entertainers are overrated, to be honest. One I'll never get is Miley Cyrus. But hey, the kids seem to like her, so good for them!

Post Thanks / Like

you guys missed the biggest one of all time...Michael Bolton. worst ever. if Michael Bolton and Kenny G do a concert tour together the opening band should be the 4 horseman of the apocalypse since it would be the end of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

for me its anyone who comes out of shows like Pop Idol, American idol and UK's got talent. This mass market generated pop is just the worst I miss real bands who played their instruments and sang live. Ok the songs are sometimes good and can be catcy but they all sound the same.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex61821 View Post
    you guys missed the biggest one of all time...Michael Bolton. worst ever. if Michael Bolton and Kenny G do a concert tour together the opening band should be the 4 horseman of the apocalypse since it would be the end of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragongirlx View Post
    for me its anyone who comes out of shows like Pop Idol, American idol and UK's got talent. This mass market generated pop is just the worst I miss real bands who played their instruments and sang live. Ok the songs are sometimes good and can be catcy but they all sound the same.

Totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with alot of these but especially Mariah Carey. I can't stand when she throws that shrill octave into each and every song and then whispers the rest. Never liked her, never will. I heard her remake of "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and boy was it awful. Please, no more.

I don't know if I am a fan of any particular artist in the singular sense- but I do love The White Stripes. It always amazes me that only 2 people can make all that music.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Just my humble opinion here, but anyone that has been on American Idol.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I know I am going late to the discussion, but these would come from both DH and I:

U2
    Celine Dion
    Barbra Streisand
    Dolly Parton
    Madonna
    Barry Manilow

Now, this is not to say that there aren't songs by each of these that we like, but for the Iconic status that they have, we just don't agree.
    Jen
    Mom to Loden and LaneyLouWho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but as a musician it makes my skin crawl to read people like Madonna, Miley Cyrus, P Diddy, Britney Spears, etc. etc. being referred to as "musicians".
    You are SO right. They are NOT musicians, they are "performers".

My vote for no-talent singer goes to Cher, with Madonna a close second.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, I can't believe how old my thread is and it is still going!

Originally Posted by Pagan
    Maybe it's just me, but as a musician it makes my skin crawl to read people like Madonna, Miley Cyrus, P Diddy, Britney Spears, etc. etc. being referred to as "musicians".

You are SO right. They are NOT musicians, they are "performers".

My vote for no-talent singer goes to Cher, with Madonna a close second.
    I agree. I listened to an old audio of Britney Spears singing when she was about 9 and her voice is average. It is all about the performance for those girls listed. As for P.Diddy, when was the last time he even had a song? The only thing he is famous for these days is reality TV shows and "the white party".
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Anyone who has to lip-synch live performances is over-rated.
    idk to what you're referring, but, FYI, things like (televised) parades, the anthem at sporting events, etc. etc. are ALL dubbed. It's a rule within the industry to make sure the music is heard over crowd noise/ flyovers/ whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakin View Post
    Katy Perry - Have you heard her live? Absolutely horrible! She doesn't hit ONE note!
    Ugh she drives me nuts! I turn the channel on the radio everytime she comes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Many of those listed as overrated musicians, are not actually musicians at all, they're singers (there is a difference), many are not really even singers but performers or entertainers.
    Pardon me if I have a minor freak-out-on-you moment here, but.. as a classically trained singer I sort of take issue with the whole "singers are not musicians" comment. Singers may not be instrumentalists, and I agree that many of the singers listed in this thread could hardly be considered musicians. But I didn't spend the last several semesters struggling through music theory workbooks,memorizing chord inversion rules and the circle of fifths to be told as I singer I'm not a "real musician" (which I get a lot) Okay, so I'm done now. Sorry, had to get that out of my system! lol.

Anyway, the artists who makes my "overrated list" are Miley Cyrus (not only is her voice lacking, no one whose fanbase consists of kids should be able to make that much money per ticket!!), Lady Gaga (don't get me started), and Amy Winehouse.

Also, someone else mentioned Robbie Williams... I'm from the USA, so the only time I hear about him is when I listen to BBC radio online (a more and more frequent occurrence I have to admit- you Brits are lucky, you have better music! ) so I don't know if he's overrated, but I will say he does come across as quite strange...
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by handmaidenofprincesses View Post
    idk to what you're referring, but, FYI, things like (televised) parades, the anthem at sporting events, etc. etc. are ALL dubbed. It's a rule within the industry to make sure the music is heard over crowd noise/ flyovers/ whatever.
    This isn't true. It may be for prepackaged performers like Miley Cirus and the lot, but when rock bands play they are live.

Prince, Bruce Springsteen, KISS, Aerosmith, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones all performed LIVE at the Super Bowl...no lip synching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    This isn't true. It may be for prepackaged performers like Miley Cirus and the lot, but when rock bands play they are live.

Prince, Bruce Springsteen, KISS, Aerosmith, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones all performed LIVE at the Super Bowl...no lip synching.
    At the Superbowl yes. But the difference between a venue and event like that besides say a moving parade or other pre-taped events is that for Superbowls the audio mix and technical set up is so expensive and sophisticated that they are able to pull it off.

But take for example the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...there are legit artists often used and the sound are vocals are always pre-taped and mixed.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: