Quantcast Driving To WDW Straight Through?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving To WDW Straight Through?

So we live apprx. 1200 miles away and have driven a few times but over the course of a few days, stopping at night to sleep. We are going next month and it is looking like we might have to drive this trip for several reasons. Mostly, it's to cut down on costs and not have to rent a car (which we always do).

Several Map sites say it will take us 18 hours. I guess if we left very early- say 4 am, we should be able to make it the same day. We will have to stop for gas but we can eat fast food in the car or pack some food in a cooler. My husband and I can switch off driving in shifts too.

Anyone have experience with a long distance drive with no stops? Terrible, or not so bad? Our kids our older so they have plenty of diversions and shouldn't be an issue.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we drive to Disney, we drive from the Toronto-area to the Atlanta-area (about 17 hours) on the first day.

It really isn't that bad at all. We start early, about 4 - 5am, and pack snacks and sandwiches to cut down on the number of times we have to stop.

DH drives the first 5 hours or so, then me, and then we switch whenever we stop. We keep DD occupied with books, homework and her DVD player (although we have a car "rule", she can't watch her DVD player until after noon, so it is something to look forward to!).

One word of caution, the 18 hours will be longer. The map sites don't take stops into account, and you will have to stop at least a couple of times, so it will probably be closer to 20 hours.

So, from experience, we know what it is like to get to Disney tired from a long drive. I would really recommend a single-night stop, somewhere cheap (like Holiday Inn Express that includes breakfast), you will enjoy your first day at Disney so much more than having arrived at midnight after a crazy-long drive.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We have driven from Mid-Michigan twice and will be again this Christmas. We used to fly all the time. Airports havebecome such a nightmare and rental car prices so high that we drove last year - and loved it.

We don't try and go in one day though. We will leave about 4 pm and drive till 1 or 2 am. Get south of Nashville then finish up the next day.

Car DVD/Nintendo system essential to sanity!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

We drive from Northwest Indiana fairly regularly. We typically drive straight through on the way back. It is long but not so terrible. We Usually leave WDW at around 6am and make it home around midnight. We stop and eat luch and dinner and don't kill ourselves with the pace. Idon't know if I wouldtry it going there because I am ussually pretty wore out for the next day or so. We ususally stop in Valodsta (about 3 hours from WDW). It is well worth the stop. We end up refreshed and at WDW early the second day and are ready to roll.

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive straight through from Ohio (a little over 1000 miles) with 3 kids (1.5, 5, and 8). We usually leave between 9pm and 11pm and drive all night. I like having the kids sleep for 2/3 of the drive and not having to stop for potty or food breaks as often.
    We stop in northern florida for breakfast at the first Cracker Barrel on 75 and then have lunch in the world.
    On our way back we sometimes stop but it depends on how we feel.

Post Thanks / Like

We've essentially driven straight through from Massachusetts which is about 1500 miles though I don't recommend it!

However, we have driven straight through from Massachusetts to Cincinnati - about 17 hours - andthat's not too bad. If you leave early in the morning as you suggest, it might not be too bad.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We drove from the NW subarbs this past March. We stopped in Georgia on the way down, but our hotel was a wreck, so we just drove the last 6 hours and got to the world at like 4am. Driving straight there was not too bad.

On the way back we drove straight through to my parents who live in Decatur, which was an awful ride. I would not recommend doing a straight through drive without more than 2 adults driving. The last 5 hours of our trip were horrible and we should have pulled off, but didn't.
    -- Gary --

First trip - June 19-25, 2002 FW cabins
    Second Trip - Nov 30- Dec 6 2004 Pop Century
    ThirdTrip - Nov 29 - Dec 8 2005 at the POLY!!!
    Fourth Trip - Mar 24 -31 2008, CBR
    Fifth Trip - March 19 - 25, 2011 at the CBR

Next trip - March 19 -25 2015 at CBR again! YIPPEE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It CAN be done, but you won't be good the first day at the World. I agree that you should stop somewhere close, spend the night, and finish up the next morning. Why pay for a night of pricey WDW resort staying, when you won't be getting in until after midnight?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We drive from the NYC area non stop but plan an being in the Disney area the late afternoon before our first day in the parks. We find a low cost place get some sleep then early check-in the resort hotel the next day.

We won't have a room yet but get our park hoppers and jump right into our disney vacation.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We've driven straight thru from Oklahoma one time but we didn't leave until around 4 in the afternoon. My DH is a truck driver who normally drives at night, so I drove the first part while we slept then traded off after dinner. It was a lot easier on our daughters that way, they slept half of the trip, but I don't think that I would do it again. Was much too tired by the time we got there.
    I'm heading out to the west coast this spring (Disneyland) and leaving out Friday after the girls get out of school . So taking 2 1/2 days to get out there and 2 to get back.

Post Thanks / Like

We are around 21 hours away and what we do is put a big drive in the first day then a nice "short" on in the next day.

We usually leave by 6am the first day then drive until 9pm. This leaves us with about a six hour drive the next day. We are usually on the raod by 7am and will arrive at WDW just around 2:00pm. We either get our room or will leave our stuff with Bell services and then hit the parks.

We have talked about driving down in one shot but always decide that we would rather get to Disney and not be exhausted from the drive. When we arrive in the afternoon we get a taste of Disney and then get to bed in good time and then the next day we are fully rested ready to take on WDW!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

We did this once.... We have a Suburban and we stopped overnight going down, coming home however, we just wanted to get home and kept our car on the road from 9pm Friday until arriving in our driveway in Wayne, NJ at 5pm Saturday. We did pull over for a full hour so both my husband and I could sleep at 5am. We just kept switching drivers. It was a long trip, but my kids have done long car trips before and are good in the car.
    Good luck and safe travel.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

It usually takes us about 17 hours of driving. Don't forget you will lose an hour going down with the time change to EST. We have always broken our trip up, basically because we just can't wait to leave early in the morning. We ended up being too excited and take off the evening before. We have made it to just south of Chatanooga (sp?) TN one time, but most times we just try to at least make it south of Atlanta, GA. As another person posted, Valdosta is also a good stopping point. The main thing is to be safe. If you feel yourself struggling to stay away, it isn't worth your family's safety pushing yourself.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

My sister in law and her family drive straight through every year (kudos to them...I could NOT do it!). They live in Kansas City and their plan of attack is to leave around 2pm. They drive until around 6pm and stop for dinner, then the kids (they have 3 - ages 9, 13 & 15) usually fall asleep by 10-11pm. The parents take turns at the wheel. They stop for breakfast when the kids wake up (around 7-8am) and are at the parks by lunchtime. The parents get little sleep so I'm not sure how they are able to do a full day at the park after driving all night, but they always seem to manage. I guess the adrenaline has kicked back up to high gear by then. Good luck to you!!! (They do, however, spend the night one night on the way back home)
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Check online for state highway maintenance and construction projects. They always add extra time- especially if you hit one during a rush hour and the highway is narrowed down to one lane.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to thank you all for starting this post & posting your replies. We're planning a road trip for our next WDW vacation. My DH wants to head straight down, spend time there, then slowly make our way back home. This post is soooo great for info!!!
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcornette View Post
    We always drive straight through from Ohio (a little over 1000 miles) with 3 kids (1.5, 5, and 8). We usually leave between 9pm and 11pm and drive all night. I like having the kids sleep for 2/3 of the drive and not having to stop for potty or food breaks as often.
    We stop in northern florida for breakfast at the first Cracker Barrel on 75 and then have lunch in the world.
    On our way back we sometimes stop but it depends on how we feel.
    I thought about this. Do you feel safe driving at night (good visibility, other drivers are being safe)? And how in the world do you stay awake? Don't you have a jet lagged feeling?
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    My sister in law and her family drive straight through every year (kudos to them...I could NOT do it!). They live in Kansas City and their plan of attack is to leave around 2pm. They drive until around 6pm and stop for dinner, then the kids (they have 3 - ages 9, 13 & 15) usually fall asleep by 10-11pm. The parents take turns at the wheel. They stop for breakfast when the kids wake up (around 7-8am) and are at the parks by lunchtime. The parents get little sleep so I'm not sure how they are able to do a full day at the park after driving all night, but they always seem to manage. I guess the adrenaline has kicked back up to high gear by then. Good luck to you!!! (They do, however, spend the night one night on the way back home)
    You know I was wondering how long it would take to drive to Disneyworld. I am in Leavenworth just a short ways up the road from Kansas City. We did briefly consider it for our upcoming trip in April but then got fairly decent flights so we are flying instead.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger my family trips to Disney were always driving. We lived in southern New Hampshire and would drive straight through. It took about 23 hours including stops for gas, stretch/bathroom breaks, and stopping to get food in the car. My parents took turns doing the driving. We left both in the morning and in the evening depending on the trip.

The first time we made this trip my sister was 1 and I was 7, then 3 and 9, 6 and 12, and finally 10 and 16. I wouldn't recommend the trip with a 1 year old (and then she got sick on the way home, which made that trip even harder), but otherwise, we had books and music to keep us occupied. We both slept a good portion of the drive. We had fun looking to see when the trees started changing. I've asked my mother since then how bad it was driving straight through, and she said that while it wasn't her favorite activity, she preferred that to the times we've driven to North Carolina to see relatives and have stopped to spend the night somewhere.

I also drove when I was 21 with a friend from New Hampshire. Same thing, we drove all the way through on the way there. We left at 6pm on the way back after having done Animal Kingdom all day. We had to stop on the way home to get some sleep.

My ex and I drove down for our honeymoon as well. We left the morning after the wedding at about 11. We did stop around 2 to get some sleep, but we'd been up getting married the day before. We were able to drive back in one shot without any problem.

I've never had a problem with the driving straight through, but I like being in the car. I sleep well in cars and I'm able to stay focused for long stretches of driving, so I might be in the minority as far as not minding driving straight through.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

Default We drive down from Central New Jersey

My wife and I have twice driven down. We first did this because of air fares. Now we like the convience of having our van. We leave mid afternoon 2pm - 4 pm, so our daughters 10 and 11 only have a few hour until they go to sleep at 8- 9pm. We alternate drivers and have places planned to stop for gas and to stretch. My wife likes not having to think of the entire trip, but when is our next stop. For us it breaks into 4hrs to Virginia, 3 hrs to North Carolina, 3hrs to South Carolina, 3hrs to Georgia,4 hrs to breakfast in Florida. This last time there was road construction so it took a little longer. We stay with my wife's father who has a place in Key Largo and go to Disneyworld the following day. The first time we did this the park had extra magic hours and we were at the MK from 10am till 1am. I am a night owl and like to drive the night hours. This past August we were on the cruise and decided to head home at 9am and arrived home at 2am the next day. Our daughters did well on the trip home.
    The trip home seems harder since you don't have the excitement of going to DIsney.
    Be sure if you feel tired to pull off and rest.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: