Quantcast The New Space Mountain - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You people have seriously gone off topic..

Space Mountain:

On Disney's blog today..

We have more details to share about the Space Mountain attraction at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park as renovation work wraps up.

As you know, the classic Space Mountain experience still exists — it’s just being updated with new technology and 21st century gadgetry. Inside the attraction, there’s new lighting as well as special “darkening” effects. And you’ll see updated color schemes for rocket capsules, line and load areas. Imagineers worked with Walt Disney World Facilities Asset Management for even more enhancements, including new paint, carpet, seat fabric and other décor elements.

But what caught my attention during a recent walkthrough were details about track upgrades. It’s the same track layout and overall look and feel but workers integrated new technology into the track while not changing the classic Space Mountain ride experience. “As technology evolves, it helps us enhance those elements without losing any essence of the attraction,” Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Show Designer Alex Wright says.

You should also know that a ride photo system will capture guests during their space flights on Space Mountain. It’ll utilize Disney’s Photopass, allowing you to access, share and purchase photos during and after a visit.
    Alex says he thinks you’ll be “pleasantly surprised” with the enhancements. The attraction is scheduled to reopen on November 22. Let us know what you think in the comments.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so one of the premier attractions at WDW was closed for 7 months so they could:

- Change the lighting
    - Redecorate
    - Upgrade the track while keeping it the same... whatever that means
    - And be able to sell overpriced photos

Cool
    Jeff

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    OK, so one of the premier attractions at WDW was closed for 7 months so they could:

- Change the lighting
    - Redecorate
    - Upgrade the track while keeping it the same... whatever that means
    - And be able to sell overpriced photos

Cool
    ahhh...but at least we got to the "meat" of the "upgrades"....

on ride photo....what will they think of next?!?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    You people have seriously gone off topic..

Space Mountain:

On Disney's blog today..

We have more details to share about the Space Mountain attraction at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park as renovation work wraps up.

As you know, the classic Space Mountain experience still exists — it’s just being updated with new technology and 21st century gadgetry. Inside the attraction, there’s new lighting as well as special “darkening” effects. And you’ll see updated color schemes for rocket capsules, line and load areas. Imagineers worked with Walt Disney World Facilities Asset Management for even more enhancements, including new paint, carpet, seat fabric and other décor elements.

But what caught my attention during a recent walkthrough were details about track upgrades. It’s the same track layout and overall look and feel but workers integrated new technology into the track while not changing the classic Space Mountain ride experience. “As technology evolves, it helps us enhance those elements without losing any essence of the attraction,” Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Show Designer Alex Wright says.

You should also know that a ride photo system will capture guests during their space flights on Space Mountain. It’ll utilize Disney’s Photopass, allowing you to access, share and purchase photos during and after a visit.
    Alex says he thinks you’ll be “pleasantly surprised” with the enhancements. The attraction is scheduled to reopen on November 22. Let us know what you think in the comments.

sorry about getting off topic......but interior redecorating of a roller coaster really doesn't allow for much expansion of thought

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, They've just posted that Photopass will NOT be used with the onride photo system. Since none of the other rides use Photopass either, this isn't surprising...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573
    They've just posted that Photopass will NOT be used with the onride photo system.Since none of the other rides use Photopass either, this isn't surprising...
    I believe Test Track still uses PhotoPass for its on-ride pictures ...

...but yes, the Disney Parks Blog appears to have rescinded their announcment that the Space Mountain on-ride picture will be available on Photo Pass. It is interesting though that the comment is only struck through and not totally removed
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    I believe Test Track still uses PhotoPass for its on-ride pictures ...

...but yes, the Disney Parks Blog appears to have rescinded their announcment that the Space Mountain on-ride picture will be available on Photo Pass. It is interesting though that the comment is only struck through and not totally removed
    Wow....they have figured out a way to slash the budget....after the rehab

Walt would be proud

Post Thanks / Like

I get that is everyone is underwhelmed by what appears to be a mostly cosmetic refurb, but could we save judgment until we ride it? Or better yet if anyone on here was at the soft opening I would like to hear your opinion. When I get back from trip next week I will be sure give my honest opinion.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Not only that but its still in soft opening and they clearly haven't revealed the final product...but geez, be happy that they did anything to the ride in the first place. They could have just left it alone and never have had to deal with all these negative comments all over the web...

Face it, at least they didn't do a thing wrong with this refurb, ala SSE's ending.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    Not only that but its still in soft opening and they clearly haven't revealed the final product...but geez, be happy that they did anything to the ride in the first place. They could have just left it alone and never have had to deal with all these negative comments all over the web...

Face it, at least they didn't do a thing wrong with this refurb, ala SSE's ending.
    With all do respect...you are giving the management, both in Orlando and in Anaheim (and their wall street masters), too much credit.

yes...they could have done nothing...but they have dangled this redo out there....publically...for several years.

And it appears they have done little. That's a good way to look like a buffoon

but you're rigt... we'll see

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, it was a misunderstanding. The attraction was never meant to use PhotoPass. It DOES have an onboard photo which will have to be purchased, but someone at the blogs automatically linked the photo to PhotoPass. honest mistake.

Test Track remains the only attraction using PhotoPass technology although the system was built into place at Space Mountain so it COULD support PhotoPass should they decide to switch over in the future

brad
    (author of the definitive guide to photopass)

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    For the record, it was a misunderstanding. The attraction was never meant to use PhotoPass. It DOES have an onboard photo which will have to be purchased, but someone at the blogs automatically linked the photo to PhotoPass. honest mistake.

Test Track remains the only attraction using PhotoPass technology although the system was built into place at Space Mountain so it COULD support PhotoPass should they decide to switch over in the future

brad
    (author of the definitive guide to photopass)
    I'm surprise they all haven't been switched to photopass....the photopass system is one of the smartest, money generating ideas that they've come up with in the history of the parks....

why not give people the chance to buy for months instead of the 15 seconds it takes to walk outta the ride?

license to print...in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all could think of more to do that would look better, and I bet Imagineering wanted to do more as well. But from what I have read, they did as much as they could with the budget that was given to them which looks like kept on getting cut time and time again. I could be SO much happier if they did anything with the track or add audio to the cars or just some of the effects that DLR's has, but I'm happy that we got something at least. Seems to be a theme lately...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    I still rate, MK's as the best. It's layout is more thrilling, and the dueling track makes it memorable. DL's is right turn, drop, right turn, drop, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc. It's an a kiddie coaster with sound enhancements to make you think it's better than it is.
    I'll take those right turns, and repeats, over a bumpy ride in the dark. As I've said before I will not ride WDW's version again, until it gets a proper upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    But as I said, I agree with you on the DL vs. WDW comparison. I think it has more to do with the fan bases for each than anything else. DL fans are hardcore Disney fans who often harken back to the Walt era and expect everything to be perfect all the time. They saw what happened when they let things slide out there. It was a mess.

But WDW fans are, for whatever reason, much easier to please. My guess is they don't have that deep rooted historical relationship with the park (and the company as a whole) the way the DL people do, so they don't really know what they're supposed to be getting.
    Having been a member of Intercot for 3 1/2 years and just this past summer joined another Disney board that is more Disneyland focused ... I can say that you are right on target Ian. Both boards have almost the same number of members, however the other board gets at least 10 to 1 more post over this site... These are very hard core fans, who will break apart every detail of every attraction at the park. When the fans are that into the resort, Disney can not get away with much. I still love Intercot, and WDW, but I see how the fans can really have an impact on the way a resort operates.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I still love Intercot, and WDW, but I see how the fans can really have an impact on the way a resort operates.
    As lockedoutlogic has pointed out on numerous occasions, Disney World is the cash cow of the Disney empire.

People just go there and fork over huge piles of money, regardless of what they get. Why? Because most people regard going to Disney World as a must-do at some point in life.

And, for whatever reason, the East Coast Disney dweebs just never developed that sense of responsibility in terms of holding the company accountable to Walt's ideals. The West Coasters embrace that in spades and it's worked for them.

Unfortunately, I just don't see that ever happening in WDW. They'll run that place into the ground, milking every nickel out of it in the process.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You know, many people on here wax poetically about DL, but in my 2 trips out there, it hasn't bowled me over. CMs in DL supposedly are better as they grasp Walt's ideal? I've had more bad CM experiences in my 2 trips to DL than in all of my numerous trips to WDW. Yes, Space Mountain and Pirates are better there as well as the Matterhorn, but that's doesn't make me want to fly 3,000 miles that often. I plan to give it another chance (which is saying something as I do not give many things a 3rd chance), but my expectations are not high.

One of the problems, I think, is now that Burbank controls the purse strings, they aren't inclined to give double the money for WDW, which is what should happen as there are 4 theme parks and 2 water parks to maintain in FL, versus 2 parks in CA. I'll see for myself in December how I feel about the changes.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

it's my understanding.. and this didn't come from any official sources.. that PhotoPass is not being initially used for non-technical and monetary reasons. it's more of a sensitivity issue.

as silly as it seems, it can easily be argued that PhotoPass can do things that no other company like Kodak can do, but the ride photo isn't something revolutionary or highly specialized.

probably the same sort of thing that's keeping PhotoPass off of DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so, I got to ride Space Mountain as part of a soft opening yesterday and here is my reaction.

Everything I figured would be the case IS the case. The queue is almost identical to the way it was before, minus the interactive section towards the very end. The loading area is the only thing that is drastically different, as you can no longer see the track above you (which is, in my mind, part of the reason that it wasn't as dark as it could have been in the initial version).

The ride itself is pretty much unchanged. There are different sound effects in the blue tunnel. The mountain itself is darker, and there seems to be more stars. The re-entry tunnel is still the same effect they've used since 1975. The exit area is identical. The escalator portion has some new scenery/touched up scenery. The green screen tunnel on the exit escalator has been painted a hideous shade of neon lime green and the former TVs have been shoddily covered up with a banner.

California is still leaps and bounds ahead of this one and TDO really dropped the ball here. I know we're in a bad economy, but this ride is the way it is now because Disney was worried about all the whiners and complainers they would have had to deal with going "Oh my vacation is totally ruined because SPACE MOUNTAIN WASN'T OPEN and I'll never ever ever have the chance to get on it again."

To which I respond with, "Big deal. California closed theirs for almost 2 years and the world didn't come to an end. Deal with it."

Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure. They need to start focusing on quality again. Giving into the complainers and rushing a refurb to have it open for Christmas, especially after seeing what the end result was (which is to say, it's pretty much the exact same ride) has proven to me that TDO has really lost its way in terms of delivering a unique and memorable experience so many years after an attraction has opened.

One last thing...before anybody responds with "it's not officially finished yet"...note that it's supposed to reopen next Saturday. There's no way you could get me to believe they're going to throw in some drastically huge upgrade in less than a week.

Edit: Forgot to note that the on-ride photo is in one of the most nonsensical places possible: at the turn in the "launch" tunnel that takes you onto the lift. In my picture I looked like a deer in headlights because it wasn't even a remotely exciting part of the ride yet.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As lockedoutlogic has pointed out on numerous occasions, Disney World is the cash cow of the Disney empire.

People just go there and fork over huge piles of money, regardless of what they get. Why? Because most people regard going to Disney World as a must-do at some point in life.

And, for whatever reason, the East Coast Disney dweebs just never developed that sense of responsibility in terms of holding the company accountable to Walt's ideals. The West Coasters embrace that in spades and it's worked for them.

Unfortunately, I just don't see that ever happening in WDW. They'll run that place into the ground, milking every nickel out of it in the process.
    Ian, sadly, you are right... However, we CAN have an impact.. What we need is an Al Lutz type blog on WDW... We need to point out the shortcoming.. We need to embarrassment management in Orlando.. We need, well, you get the picture... Only then can we, the East Coast Disney dweebs, have a true impact on WDW...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add some things from what I have read online that I don't think have been added here. They updated most of the plastic screens as you enter in the first queue room from outside. The ball pit is still there. The esculator ride has some new props and inculding a few Horizons refrences as well (Mesa Verde ). The green wall looks to be more of a green screen and the tarp is covering the cameras at this time. Although I hope something else changes when they take away that tarp, because that green wall is BRIGHT.

Safety Video is still there, instead of 4 small screen, there is 1 big screen. The video is still the same as before, but that can be put in overnight. Air gates were added as well.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: