Quantcast BLT Review 10/4/09 - 10/10/09

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default BLT Review 10/4/09 - 10/10/09

Just returned from our trip to WDW where we stayed for the first time at BLT! Originally we had reservations for the first 3 nights in a studio, then were going to switch over to a one bedroom at the Boardwalk. When we arrived and checked in I asked the CM if there was any way we could stay the entire week at BLT instead of having to move (this after weeks of calling every day and being on a waitlist). I wasn't very hopeful because it was so last minute but to my surprise the CM said they had a BUNCH of studios available! I then asked about a one bedroom and they said we could have a one bedroom Bay Lake View up until Thursday then would have to switch to a studio room for two nights (which only turned out to be two doors down from our one bedroom!). I jumped at the chance to stay in a one bedroom and I have to say I LOVED IT!! The one bedroom was great - we had lots of room and DD (almost 3) slept in the pullout chair in the main living area which she loved. We had a view of Bay Lake on the side towards the Contemporary and were able to see the Electrical Water Pageant and Illuminations in the distance. It was SO nice to have a full kitchen, washer and dryer and two bathrooms. My only complaint is that the lighting in both bathrooms is terrible. It's like one spotlight on your forehead which makes it impossible to put makeup on. I was frustrated every single morning because of that.

The DVC pool was very nice (no comparison to Stormalong bay but very nice for what it was). DD absolutely LOVED the little water slide and I caught her at the bottom every time. :-) She got brave and wanted to try the big silde but ended up coming down sideways. She went under water for just a second and DH was there to grab her right away. She told me she liked it but said 'no' when I asked if she wanted to do it again. :-) My heart was pounding out of my chest watching her go down and I probably shouldn't have let her, but she was doing so well on the other slide that I thought she would be fine as long as we caught her at the other end. I probably wouldn't recomend it for kids under 5. She also loved the sprinkler area which was less crowded than the pool. The pool did seem kind of small compared to other pools but we had fun.

As for the studio, that's another story. I will never stay in a studio at BLT again. EVER. The studio was so extremely small we could barely move - it felt like a large closet. I think it would be fine for two people, but when you're using the couch and have the portable crib up as well, there is literally no room to move. I also hated the way the bathroom sink/kitchen area was laid out. Personally, I really don't like the idea of having all my bathroom items in the kitchen. Just to have to leave the bathroom with dirty hands grossed me out, then to have to enter the kitchen to wash them was worse. I've stayed in many other studios before including SS, BCV, BWV and AKL and they were all perfectly fine. This is, by far, the smallest room I've ever stayed in on Disney property. Absolutely hated it and will never do it again.

More coming...
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You're home! Looking forward to the rest of your report (like how the trip home was and so glad you made it). Nice review of the BLT space. I've heard other complaints about the size of the studio units. That's a shame. The one bedroom sounds really nice though. Glad you had some good times.

Not sure about the water slide here, but I think I remember the Poly water slide had a height requirement line at the top with the recommendation that kids under a certain size did not go down alone. Am I misremembering that, I wonder? Sounds like that would be helpful here, but sometimes they meet that size and you still don't know how it will work out, so good to know.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

You make me very glad we booked a one bed! I thought the studios looked an odd shape from the floor plan but they sound awful from your description!
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! We leave tomorrow morning and are staying in a studio at BLT. It will just be DH and I though. I am still very much looking forward to our trip!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing! BLT seems to have great views and a fabulous location.

Your review of a studio (size & layout) is now on par for what I've been reading/listening to. If a studio is in our future plans, it won't be at BLT.

Hoping the rest of your trip was excellent!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I think the BLT Studio would be fine for two people who don't need to use the open up couch or porta-crib. It was just way too small for the four of us, plus maybe I was a little spoiled by the size of the one bedroom we had stayed in a few days before that.

Anyway...some of you have probaby read in another post that DH got terribly sick on Thursday morning. He tried to fight through it but by Friday afternoon had a temperature of 103.9. We ended up calling in the doctor to come to us because DH was too weak to travel to the Urgent Care Center. While he was being treated I brought both kids to the Community Center where DD colored and made a project for DH. I really like how the DVC resorts (not sure if the other resorts do this as well...) have projects and planned events throughout the day. Some are free and some you have to pay for but I really liked that there was something I could do with the kids without DH. It was the night of the Halloween party and I really didn't want to try and venture out to a park with 2 kids under 3 anyway. I almost did the movie on the beach with DD but it was Pirates of the Carribbean (too old for her). We had to cancel our dinner at Les Chefs De France so I was stuck trying to find a place to use our TS credits as it was our last night. I tried Chef Mickeys and (not surprisingly) was turned away. I then went to California Grill where I was told that I could check the lounge which has the same menu as the restaurant. DD and I ended up having a very nice dinner, just the two of us (DS and DH sleeping soundly in our room) with a nice view of Cinderella's castle. It wasn't the ideal ending to our trip but definitely better than sitting in the cramped studio room with DH sick in bed. Long story short we really enjoyed our stay at BLT. I think it was most definitely the right DVC purchase for us because being on the monorail with 2 small kids is great. (except for the one morning it wasn't working and we had to walk to MK in 90 degree heat) We WILL be visiting again sometime in September of next year. I can't wait to call and book it! We'll be staying again in a one bedroom - this time (hopefully) with a view of the Magic Kingdom!! See ya real soon, Mickey!
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm getting a little worried now. We have studio reservations for Dec. There will be me, DW, DD6, and DS3. I'd rather not pay an extra $1200 for a 1BR, but I'm starting to think I should. Does anyone know where I can find the floor plan for a studio?
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you off of the studio...but it WAS very small and I honestly can't see myself staying in one at BLT again. If you decide not to stay in a studio I would definitely do a one bedroom at BLT because that was more than enough space and we really enjoyed it. If you'd rather not spend the extra $$ you could always go to a larger studio at one of the other DVC resorts. I'm not sure what's available when you're travelling but we've stayed in studios at every DVC resort except for OKW and they all had more room than BLT. Personally, I'd rather have more space in the room than a balcony. Here is a link to the Disney website that takes you on a tour of the 2 bedroom unit. If you click on 'visionary design' and then once you get into the room, click on 'studio bedroom' that is what the studio is. Also, check out the kitchenette area because that is where the bathroom sink and mirror are as well. That is a totally different layout than the other studios.

BLT Room
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Default BLT Review 10/4/09 - 10/10/09

There is a thread under Disney Vacation Club called, Fear of Small Spaces - BLT. Check that out as there is useful information that might help you make a decision. I think that space/sleep area issues are highly personal and depend on many things including what type of sleepers each member of the family is and how well members of the group match each other.

In my family we would have no issue staying in a studio at BLT with 4 in a room. Your decision may have to take into account how much time you plan to spend in the room and what you plan on doing while in the room (mostly to sleep? do you really care?). Remember there is a club room to take your children to play in and many other areas where you can spend time while not in the parks.

I guess it also depends on if you have points/$$s to spend on a 1 bedroom (and even if there are any available for your dates. The CR rooms are good size and since you have stayed there before (as we did before we became DVC members) you may be spoiled. The BLT rooms are smaller than the CR rooms
    but in the end this is a great place to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
    As for the studio, that's another story. I will never stay in a studio at BLT again. EVER.
    I agree with you there...I got back from BLT about 2 weeks ago. The room was furnished nicely of course, but on top of it's size it had a strange layout. The toilet & shower in one room, and the bathroom sink is in the kitchenette? What's up with that??

But overall I love the location of BLT, but not a place to stay if you will be running around...it was a bit of a walk from my room to the bridge over to the 4th floor of the Contemporary...

Monorail_Red
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BLT Studio

I disagree. For two, the studio is perfect. To fit 3 or 4 in any DVC Studio, I think is crowding it a bit. They are smaller than the other studios, but still plenty spacious. We were in 2485 on the 14 th floor looking at Bay Lake. We can't wait to go back.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your troubles with BLT studio's! My DW and I decided not to buy at BLT because we felt they were charging us so much for the points for the location and not necessarily the room accommodations.
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail_Red View Post
    I agree with you there...I got back from BLT about 2 weeks ago. The room was furnished nicely of course, but on top of it's size it had a strange layout. The toilet & shower in one room, and the bathroom sink is in the kitchenette? What's up with that??

Monorail_Red
    When I viewed the rooms at the Doorway to Dreams store at Woodfield Mall I was astonished by the decision to have the bathroom sink in the same room as the kitchenette. What a terrible idea..someone droped the ball on that one. Even my Vacation Club Guide didn't like the lay out...needless to say we chose Kidani Village. Plus we are animal people, so Kidani is more up our alley.

I have only enough points to stay at a studio and I will probably never stay at BLT. Maybe someday when I have enough points for a one bedroom.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the layout of the room on the Disney web site -- am I right in assuming you have to leave the "bathroom" area and walk around a wall to the kitchenette area to use the separate sink to wash your hands? That's what it looks like but I can't really tell from the drawing.

If that's true I can't figure out why they didn't just put the wall on the other side of the sink -- in other words, make the kitchenette all by itself in a galley with a blank wall at your back, and on the other side of the wall, the bathroom sink, actually IN the bathroom.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I looked at the layout of the room on the Disney web site -- am I right in assuming you have to leave the "bathroom" area and walk around a wall to the kitchenette area to use the separate sink to wash your hands? That's what it looks like but I can't really tell from the drawing.

That is exactly what they did. It doesn't make any sense. Just think you can be using hair spray in the spot that someone is making an English muffin in the morning....doesn't that sound appetizing.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that the layout of the studios is illogical at all.

With my past two stays at WL, I had a room with the sink outside the bathroom (2031) and another room (this time handicapped) with the sink inside the bathroom (2125 - I think). And for some reason, I keep thinking that the sink in my room in Tokelau in 2007 was outside the bathroom too (2919).

I kind of like having the sink outside the room, as I'd rather use the sink to brush my teeth and put on my makeup and not interrupt DH while he is taking a shower or using the facilities. Also, the mirror won't get all steamed up from a shower, so it's available anytime. This way two people can get ready for the morning without sharing a cramped bathroom.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    I don't think that the layout of the studios is illogical at all.

With my past two stays at WL, I had a room with the sink outside the bathroom (2031) and another room (this time handicapped) with the sink inside the bathroom (2125 - I think). And for some reason, I keep thinking that the sink in my room in Tokelau in 2007 was outside the bathroom too (2919).

I kind of like having the sink outside the room, as I'd rather use the sink to brush my teeth and put on my makeup and not interrupt DH while he is taking a shower or using the facilities. Also, the mirror won't get all steamed up from a shower, so it's available anytime. This way two people can get ready for the morning without sharing a cramped bathroom.
    I don't think the issue is having the sink outside the bathroom -- many, if not most, of the Disney rooms are set up that way, and I agree with you on the benefits of that. But in the BLT studios not only is the bathroom sink and mirror directly on the other side of the bathroom wall, it's in the kitchen area. So you can have one person lathering up from having just used the facilities or brushing their hair, back to back with another person preparing food for the microwave.

I imagine they did this so that the kitchenette would be an actual "room" rather than the kitchenette "hallway" in other DVC studios. But still...
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: