Quantcast Hard Rock Hotel

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Hard Rock Hotel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hard Rock Hotel

We'll be spending some time at the Hard Rock Hotel during our next visit to WDW. It's our first time there....does anybody have any information? How far from the Disney Parks...any comments about the hotel itself or dining options available there? Thanks
    Paradise Pier-2003
    Disneyland Hotel-2004
    Disneyland Hotel-2005
    PORS-2008
    Shades of Green - May 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there in 2001. It was only a couple weeks after 9/11, and it was a ghost town. Hardly anyone was there.

The hotel is nice, and had a cool, modern edge to it. Nice decor in the rooms, but a little too minimalistic for me. There were no balconies except for a few rooms. The room was a decent size, and the bathroom was quite large. Staff was average....they weren't very friendly, but not cold either. Just kind of "meh".

We discovered the Palm restaurant on that trip, and it's still one of our favorites. There are two of them in NYC, so we started dining there after trying the Palm in the Hard Rock Hotel. Their seafood is amazing. They have the best crab cakes I've ever eaten, and their filet is awesome.

We only stayed for a few days, and that was enough for us. We liked Universal, but wished we were back at WDW. (We did 3 days at Universal after several days at WDW and then a 4 day Disney cruise) It was fun to try once, though.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Nice hotel; we really enjoyed it. Kids loved the pool with the piped in music-- very cool. If you're visiting Universal this is a terrific choice and you get front of the line passes for those 2 parks.
    Not such a good choice if you plan to stay at HR and drive to Disney several days but it's workable
    I suppose. Wasn't clear to me from your post; are you splitting your trip between Universal and Disney area hotels or staying at HR the whole time?
    Depending on traffic I would estimate about 20 minutes drive between Universal and WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

We're doing 10 days in the parks at WDW...that entire time we're staying at the Poly

We're doing 3 days at Universal....that entire time we're staying at the Hard Rock

Hope this clears it up

Thanks
    Paradise Pier-2003
    Disneyland Hotel-2004
    Disneyland Hotel-2005
    PORS-2008

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Great Location

but that's it. Pool is good too. They can't compete with Disney resorts. The front of line pass is good too. We stayed there this past June on the "buy three get two free" promo. We had two adjoining rooms. My older children (20,18,17,15) had Orlando policemen banging on their door at two in the a.m. with their GUNS and TAZERS out. They pointed a gun and flashlight in my 15yr old face. She was sound asleep and awoke in terror! Hotel security was no where to be found. Hotel management didn't even speak to us in person. They sent a note of apology with some chocolates and a replica of a guitar. they did comp. the room for one night after my husband visited the desk in the a.m. The service was terrible.
    1992 off site
    1994 ASM
    1999, 2002 off site
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2005 Pop Century
    2006 Caribbean Beach
    2007 Yacht Club
    2008 DisneyLand
    2009 Beach Club
    2009 Port Orleans-Riverside
    2010 Polynesian
    2011,2012 Pop
    2013 ASM
    2014 Bay Lake Tower, BoardWalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redleg96 View Post
    We're doing 10 days in the parks at WDW...that entire time we're staying at the Poly

We're doing 3 days at Universal....that entire time we're staying at the Hard Rock

Hope this clears it up

Thanks
    This is a great plan. I don't like mixing WDW and Universal time. Three days is a good amount of time because you'll be able to do everything two or three time with the Express ride access.

I've stayed at the Hard Rock 8 or so times on my trips to Universal, most recently in August. Rooms were renovated two or so years ago, so they were in good shape....though they can sometimes look a little more broken in than WDW deluxes. Pool area is great. Nice easy walk to the parks.

I've never had a problem with service. There've been a few times where I wish Orlando police had quiet down the people in the room next to mine, but never had a problem that ruined the whole experience.

I've only eaten in the restaurants there once, for a breakfast buffet. Was a typical good quality meal. Otherwise I've always eaten at Citywalk or in-park. Margaritavile and the Latin themed one have always been good meals.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maryln8 View Post
    but that's it. Pool is good too. They can't compete with Disney resorts. The front of line pass is good too. We stayed there this past June on the "buy three get two free" promo. We had two adjoining rooms. My older children (20,18,17,15) had Orlando policemen banging on their door at two in the a.m. with their GUNS and TAZERS out. They pointed a gun and flashlight in my 15yr old face. She was sound asleep and awoke in terror! Hotel security was no where to be found. Hotel management didn't even speak to us in person. They sent a note of apology with some chocolates and a replica of a guitar. they did comp. the room for one night after my husband visited the desk in the a.m. The service was terrible.
    You wrote a lot but told me nothing. Sorry you had a bad time with Orlando Law Enforcement as opposed to the hotel. Did you address the situation with OPD? You said the service was bad....what was bad about it?

So you 'bought two and got three free (as you were comped for one night), the location was great (as you said) the pool was good (as you said) and their fastpass equivalent was a perk.

State and municipal law enforcement is not required to be accompanied by hhotel/resort security. Regardless, you're past didn't contribute to my posted topic as you didn't talk about the hotel in any constructive manner in that you described service as 'bad' with no elaboration and that they can't compare with Disney...once again with no elaboration.

Could you please expand upon your previous post so that I can understand why service was 'bad' outside of your experience with OPD?

Thanks
    Paradise Pier-2003
    Disneyland Hotel-2004
    Disneyland Hotel-2005
    PORS-2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow , Empathy goes a long way.

sorry to vent on your thread. I didn't mean to waste your time.
    My children were asleep at the time. I don't care what requirements are in place, good customer service would have dictated the hotel staff be there.
    The front desk staff were rude on check in. They were not helpful with any suggestions on what activities were available around the hotel. They remained rude our entire stay. During and after the above incident the manager didn't come out of the offices , my husband had to speak to him on the hotel lobby phone leaning over the desk.
    Housekeeping arrived very late in the day or not at all.
    The air conditioners worked very poorly. The rooms never were cool enough. They were never repaired and we were basically told to just bear with it.
    The pool restaurant was expensive but had good food. Everything you order from the waitresses around the pool has an 18% grat included, even if it is a bottle of water.
    Hope you get first hand information when you stay there.
    1992 off site
    1994 ASM
    1999, 2002 off site
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2005 Pop Century
    2006 Caribbean Beach
    2007 Yacht Club
    2008 DisneyLand
    2009 Beach Club
    2009 Port Orleans-Riverside
    2010 Polynesian
    2011,2012 Pop
    2013 ASM
    2014 Bay Lake Tower, BoardWalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wow-- can definitely understand why PP would not want to return there but we experienced nothing like that and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Just as a side, have also stayed at Royal Pacific and think I liked it even more but would stay at either (or the Portofino) without hesitation.
    It's NOT Disney; Universal area has a totally different feel so don't compare apples to oranges.
    But it's certainly possible to like both apples AND oranges, right?
    Hope you have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel many times and always had a good experience. The hotel itself is very nice...clean large rooms, nice staff and great pool area. We love the music (which plays everywhere and all day long) and all the photos, instruments and costumes throughout the hotel.

As far as dining options, they didn't have as much as we are used to at the GF, but the food in their restaurant was very good. Since City Walk is so close, this didn't bother us at all. City Walk has some great places to eat. Our favorites are Emeril's and Margaritavile. The Portifino also has some good restaurants.

I like how at Universal you can easily walk from hotel to hotel and to both parks and city walk. They are all connected by nice walking paths.

If you are driving to Universal from Disney, I don't remember it being more than 20 - 30 minutes.

We also love US and IOA, they have some great rides and attractions. The best part is that you use your hotel card as your express pass for the rides.

10 nights at the Poly and 3 at the HRH sounds amazing. Have a great trip.
    "Why Worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." WD

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: