Quantcast What from childhood do you wish they still made?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile What from childhood do you wish they still made?

I will start it off, I wish they still made Adams grape flavor gum I loved that stuff as kid. I also wish they still made G.I. Joes like they did when I was a kid.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Turkish Taffy! I found a website a couple years ago that sold "throwback" candy and snacks, and I looked for it there. They said that it is no longer made - there's something similar (I think it's called "French Chew" or something like that), but it's not the same.

I also miss assorted flavored Tootsie Rolls. I especially loved the vanilla flavored ones. The past couple Christmases, Target has carried limited edition packages of all vanilla, so I've tried to stock up each year. Hope they have them again this year, too!
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphamommy View Post
    I also miss assorted flavored Tootsie Rolls. I especially loved the vanilla flavored ones. The past couple Christmases, Target has carried limited edition packages of all vanilla, so I've tried to stock up each year. Hope they have them again this year, too!
    they seem to sell the assorted tootsie rolls all year round at the target by me in NJ...
    i love those also..and they are definitely out now for halloween..i LOVE the cherry ones!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the old adjustable metal roller-skates. You know, the ones mentioned in the song "I Got a Pair of Brand New Rollerskates, You Got a Brand New Key". I don't know exactly why--goodness knows I fell down and got scraped up enough times when using them! I guess it's just because I have fond memories of sunny summer days skating on the roads near my house and feeling the gravel in the tar crunch under the wheels.

Oh, and I miss the old prizes they used to have in Cracker Jack. They really used to be cool--not like the lame stuff they put in there these days. (Okay, maybe the old toys weren't safe for kids under 3, but then a person shouldn't feed their 2-year-olds Cracker Jack anyway!) And remember the toys they used to put in cereal boxes? Do they do that anymore?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

For everyone in the UK over 35. Do remember Spangles? Fizzy sweets in Cola & Lemonade flavour. Also Football Crazy? Bacon flavour football shaped bites. Hmmmm! Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

roller skates with the big ol stopper on the front
    pudding pops
    those juice filled wax candy

(not sure if there is a bulk barn in the U.S.,but i saw turkish delight in there!)
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I know what it would be for DH, Kool-Aide Oh- Yeah Orange-Pineapple. It's been gone for years, but about 10 years ago DH stumbled on a supply at an older grocery store. Assuming they don't expire he bought the few they had left and acted as though he had stumbled upon a real treasure. Shortly after we had an apartment fire in our building which mainly resulted in some smoke and water damage to our unit. Not wanting to take a chance I threw out all food items. DH was sure the Kool-Aid packets were unaffected, but by the time he realized what I had done it was too late. He still talks about me throwing away his Oh-Yeah Orange-Pineapple.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post! I wish they still made Rinky Dinks! It was a candy that came with 3 different flavors in each box, and each flavor had it's own little "compartment" so they didn't get mixed together. They were these little round ball things and I think they came in grape, strawberry, and lemon. I haven't seen those for years! I also wish Brach's still made their Sparklers candies. They were just round hard candies - kind of like a sucker with no stick - but man, I loved those!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitchaholic View Post
    those juice filled wax candy
    they still make these..i dont know where i have seen them..but i know i catch them everyone once in a while..

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    I also wish Brach's still made their Sparklers candies. They were just round hard candies - kind of like a sucker with no stick - but man, I loved those!
    my mom use to buy these all the time..they would be in the bulk candy section in our supermarket..but now i can find them in bags at the supermarket or like target or a store like that..

*my mom raves about the catalog the Vermont Store..they sell items from way back when..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Koogle Flavored Peanut Butter! The best one was the chocolate. I know they had, maybe even still have a Jif or something that was similar, but it wasn't the same.

I thought the same about Quisp cereal a few years ago, but I found it on line and ordered some. It wasn't quite as good as I remembered...

And do they make Jiffy Pop anymore? I can't find it. Too much microwave stuff.
    Check out my pics, maps and brochures from 1975 on my home page!

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Ontario we had Lolas! These were triangle shaped frozen popsicle type treats. They were quite large and I ALWAYS got brain freeze eating one. There was a company a few years ago that brought them back, but I haven't seen them recently.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I also miss Brach's Sparkles, I also wish they still made Wacky Wafer candy , they last time I looked they did not make them anymore.
    1999 AS Sports
    2000 AS Movies
    2001 Offsite
    2003 Offsite
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 POR
    Feb 08 Offsite Vacation Home
    Sep 08 POP
    Aug 09 AS Sports
    Feb 10 Nick Hotel
    Aug 10 POP

Post Thanks / Like

I remember as a small child having Dr. Pepper float bars, where they had vanilla ice-cream in the middle and a Dr. Pepper popcycle on the outside.
    And yes they still make Jiffy Pop.

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot remember what these were called- but they were fruit juices that came inside a plastic fruit like a big orange or a bunch of big purple grapes- and you used to stick a strw in and drink it up. I used to love those. Anyone know what I am talking about? From the 70s.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I rember those, I don't know what they were called

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphamommy View Post
    Turkish Taffy! I found a website a couple years ago that sold "throwback" candy and snacks, and I looked for it there. They said that it is no longer made - there's something similar (I think it's called "French Chew" or something like that), but it's not the same.
    Here's some good news;

Anyone who enjoyed this as a kid: Bonomo's Turkish Taffy... B-O... N-O... M-O... Oh, Oh, Oh... it Bonomo's... Turkish Taaaaaaafy! News flash! At the recent All Candy Expo in Chicago we learned that Bonomo's is returning. We even had a sample and it is just as we remember. Availability has not been announced. While I remember it well I'm not quite sure it will be "filling, cap or crown friendly"
    I'll try to get more information on when and where it will be available...
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Toy:
    This is obscure. I had a Jolly Green Giant factory. It came with little, plastic cans of vegetables that went through the factory, which had a conveyor belt. Totally dorky, but I loved it.
    Food:
    Frankenberry...not the new version. It's tastes like it's coatd in plastic!
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

Post Thanks / Like

This is obscure. I had a Jolly Green Giant factory. It came with little, plastic cans of vegetables that went through the factory, which had a conveyor belt. Totally dorky, but I loved it.
    Food:
    Frankenberry...not the new version. It's tastes like it's coatd in plastic!

oh my goodness,you reminded me of the McDonalds restaurants they used to sell with the plastic food ! and the weebles "weebles wobble but they don't fall down"

i also used to love frankenberry,BOOberry and count chocula, ahhh the memories!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

The fried apple pies they used to have at McDonalds. I don't like the new baked ones even if they are healthier.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    they still make these..i dont know where i have seen them..but i know i catch them everyone once in a while..

my mom use to buy these all the time..they would be in the bulk candy section in our supermarket..but now i can find them in bags at the supermarket or like target or a store like that..

*my mom raves about the catalog the Vermont Store..they sell items from way back when..
    It's called The Vermont Country Store, just to be helpful. They have a huge variety of items from "yesteryear". You can find the store online too (same name). When I was growing up in Vermont we used to love taking visitors to The Vermont Country Store in Weston, VT. The same family still owns it and they also have a store in Rockingham, VT.

OK, now I'm homesick.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: