Quantcast WDW Raises Ticket Prices effective August 2nd - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah, I don't discount the fact that there is a segment of society that seems to be prone to complaining just to complain.

But I was talking about legitimate complaints. Look at the number of people today that have issues with their hotel rooms and Mousekeeping just as one example. You never saw that 10 years ago. Their rooms were always immaculate and, if there was a minor issue, it was always addressed immediately.

I don't know how young/old you are, but based on other comments you've made in other threads I suspect you don't fully realize the hold that the General Motors brand had on a significant segment of American society.

Disney's brand awareness is almost definitely stronger ... there's no doubt ... but no company anywhere, no matter what the brand strength, is bulletproof.

The history of Corporate America is littered with prime examples. Not all have gone the way of the dodo, but many have experienced significant slides that took decades to recover from.

the big difference is that GM is a technology....it's entire history to this point based around an internal combustion engine.

Those are rapidly falling into disfavor...not just in the US....but worldwide.

disney main fundamental "product" is entertainment and the emotional attachment to it....

Apples and Oranges.

I take your point: all empires will inevitably fall.
    I just have a hard time making direct comparisons to Disney from other corporations at this time - as it has a brand off the charts and unlike most major corporations, has not been overtaken, consolidated, revised in Chapter 11, and sold off to the highest bidder.

again, i conceed some of the point. but disney is just a little different animal, in my view.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't disagree entirely ... I think it will definitely take Disney longer to fail than it would another, less personal kind of corporation.

And really, there's no guarantee they will "fail" by any means ... it's quite possible that people just sort of stop noticing that stuff isn't the way it used to be (or the people who actually remember the way it used to be stop going, only to be replaced by new people who don't).

And, in reality, I do believe that even with the most recent price increases they're still providing a great value for your dollar. I say this over and over again, but you can easily spend $79 to see a mediocre concert or sit in lousy seats at a ball game. In comparison with that, a one day Disney ticket gives you like 12 hours of outstanding fun.

And even the concessions and merchandise at a concert or ballgame are marked up as outrageously as what you see in Disney so you don't even make it up there.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

And even the concessions and merchandise at a concert or ballgame are marked up as outrageously as what you see in Disney so you don't even make it up there.
    Jeez, Ian! I don't know where you see ballgames (Philly, perhaps?) but Disney prices are an out-and-out bargain compared to the prices at Yankee Stadium, Citi-Field, Giants Stadium, and Madison Square Garden!

In fact, on a related note, Hershey park charges $4.00 for a bottle of water. That's nearly double what WDW charges!!!

I know Disney is expensive folks. But for the quality you get (although it "isn't what it used to be"), and the amount of time you get, I still think it's one of the best bangs for you buck. Most travel magazines agree... Theme parks in central Florida are one of the best entertainment values.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    In fact, on a related note, Hershey park charges $4.00 for a bottle of water. That's nearly double what WDW charges!!!

I know Disney is expensive folks. But for the quality you get (although it "isn't what it used to be"), and the amount of time you get, I still think it's one of the best bangs for you buck. Most travel magazines agree... Theme parks in central Florida are one of the best entertainment values.
    Heck, if you want to go there, the York Revolution charge $4.50 for a domestic draft in Sovereign Bank Field! They are not even "Single A" ball!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quite true ... I was at an Eagles practice on Sunday night ... not a game, mind you. A practice (why is Allen Iverson's voice ringing through my head right now?? ).

Bottled water was $3, soda was $4, a tiny soft pretzel (not the jumbo size) was $4.50 ... all higher prices than what you pay in WDW.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quite true ... I was at an Eagles practice on Sunday night ... not a game, mind you. A practice (why is Allen Iverson's voice ringing through my head right now?? ).

Bottled water was $3, soda was $4, a tiny soft pretzel (not the jumbo size) was $4.50 ... all higher prices than what you pay in WDW.
    $4.25 for a 20 oz. water or soda at the Phillies games, though I have to say their ticket prices are quite reasonable. They could have raised prices greatly after the World Series, but the most expensive non-club seat is $60.

It amazes me how reasonable WDW food and drink prices are in comparison to that.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    It amazes me how reasonable WDW food and drink prices are in comparison to that.
    The one thing I always thought is reasonable considering the location is the price of food and drinks at the parks and resorts. It's pretty much on par with the prices in the NYC area.

I was at a Yankee game recently and paid over $18 for a soda, hot dog, and bag of peanuts
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

And, in reality, I do believe that even with the most recent price increases they're still providing a great value for your dollar. I say this over and over again, but you can easily spend $79 to see a mediocre concert or sit in lousy seats at a ball game. In comparison with that, a one day Disney ticket gives you like 12 hours of outstanding fun.
    I agree. I was thinking the same thing while reading these posts. $80 for 12 hours or fun or $100 for two hours of meh. Disney wins hands down.

Five years ago (or so) my SIL treated myself and DH to a Rolling Stones concert. The tickets were nosebleed and about $95 each, before ticket prices became really ridiculous. The Stones were OK, not great, but OK. Not worth $95 IMHO. A year or two ago when DH wanted to see the Stones again, he asked me if I wanted to go and I said no. It was a waste of money to me.

One other thing, Disney lets you bring your own food and beverages inside the parks. Do you think that any major league sports stadium or concert venue will let you do that? No, they pat you down and make you toss anything that will cut into their revenue stream. For some concerts, the PNC Bank Arts Center (near me) lets you bring in one unopened bottle of water. That's about the best that I've seen around.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post

One other thing, Disney lets you bring your own food and beverages inside the parks. Do you think that any major league sports stadium or concert venue will let you do that? No, they pat you down and make you toss anything that will cut into their revenue stream. For some concerts, the PNC Bank Arts Center (near me) lets you bring in one unopened bottle of water. That's about the best that I've seen around.
    Actually, the Phillies do allow you to bring in food to their games. Coolers or bags are allowed just so long as they are soft sided and not above a certain size (I need to check one of my ticket stubs). Because of that, the Eagles allow you to bring some food as well, though they are not as nice as the Phillies and I think it is only allowed at certain gates and like a sandwich a person (or something like that)..
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Joel and Elton John concert at Citizens Bank Park last week. concert started at about 7:30, done by about 11 pm

close to $400 for 3 tickets
    $20 parking
    $8.25 for bottled beer x 5 = 41.25
    $80 for 2 tee shirts
    total $540 for about 3 1/2 hours for 3 people.

I'll take Disney any day.
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wasn't surprised at their ticket price increase. They do it every year and some years did it twice. We have cut back and only go when we can get a discount or multiple discounts to offset the price increases. This year we lucked out with the military 40% off and free ticket for 5 days. Especially since it was our Anniversary trip. But we probably would have chosen somewhere else to go if we hadn't. Even though I am a true blue Disney fan, it just gets to the point now where you have to really think about the cost and whether you can really afford to go. We think it is well worth the money but with everything the way it is now, this will probably have to be our last trip for a while unless they come up with some really good discounts next year. Most of my family has not been able to go this year because of the cost. And that is a shame because they really love Disney and the DGKs keep asking when they can go back. Not anytime soon with these prices.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple economics!

This hike in prices doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Disney World is arguably the best vacation destination on earth. Nothing has come close, in my mind, to surpassing it. Or at least no theme park or entertainment complex. It's supply and demand. I'm going to keep going back because I can't find anything better for my money.
    "To all that come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future."

Disneyland - 1987, 1989, 1994, 2000, 2002, 2007, September 2010
    Disneyworld - Pop Century 2008

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I am surprised. But, I thought that maybe since they are having a harder time filling their parks, they would leave it alone this year. Just $5 more I won't be spending on merchandise each day in the park.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoriSan View Post
    Billy Joel and Elton John concert at Citizens Bank Park last week. concert started at about 7:30, done by about 11 pm

close to $400 for 3 tickets
    $20 parking
    $8.25 for bottled beer x 5 = 41.25
    $80 for 2 tee shirts
    total $540 for about 3 1/2 hours for 3 people.

I'll take Disney any day.
    Not a good comparison. First, only so many people are going to be able to buy the tickets to each concert/game. Only so many concerts/games total. As in a Billy Joel/ Elton John concert tour, there will probably never be another one. Therefore, supply and demand is in major effect.

For Disney, the same people come every year joined by millions that have never been. Disney will be opened everyday, every year for the foreseeable future. Somehow, they need to sell their merchandise and have new stuff each year. I believe it would serve them better to lower their ticket prices, bring in more guests, and get rid of all that inventory.

We have a budget for our trips that doesn't change with the price increase because our pay doesn't increase. So, when we pay more for tickets and resorts, we buy less merchandise and spend less on food. I am almost sure, that given the economy, most families are the same way if they even get to go at all.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    We have a budget for our trips that doesn't change with the price increase because our pay doesn't increase. So, when we pay more for tickets and resorts, we buy less merchandise and spend less on food. I am almost sure, that given the economy, most families are the same way if they even get to go at all.
    Right see ... this is the point I always try to get across, too, and a point that (as hard as it is to believe) I don't think Disney really understands (probably because the suits running the company have never heard of the word "budget" before ).

My guess is that park admission is a relatively low margin item for them. It probably barely covers operational costs. So forget it ... let people in for 50 bucks or something and leave that extra dough in their pockets to spend on much higher margin items like overpriced food and junky "Made in China" souvenirs.

I truly believe that the vast majority of people who visit WDW have a basically fixed amount that they're going to spend on their trip and Disney raising prices isn't really going to change that. If someone plans to spend 5 grand on their trip, that's what they're going to spend. You can't get blood from a stone.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    As in a Billy Joel/ Elton John concert tour, there will probably never be another one.
    I wouldn't assume that, there have been several...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is what disney is counting on.. that we have so much fun on our vacation that we wont notice the price increase. Well, I hate to say this, but we cant afford disney as often as we used to. We used to go every other year but now only every three to five years. The tickets are a big part of the problem. It is very expensive when you have 3-5 people in your family spending 250 a piece on tickets...disney is now the most expensive vacation in the nation..

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we do not go to Disney every year anymore, very much due to the price. We will be spending our honeymoon in Florida next September. The reply from my future bride was this "We won't be spending a lot of time in Disney then." With two weeks to kick around, we will be going to Sea World, Universal, and Cypress gardens. So Disney may be great, but Disney is not the only game in town.

And, we now have yearly passes to Hershey Park in Pa. Which is only a 1.5 hour drive, plus they have picnic areas, Hershey gardens, and other very nice things in town. So, to heck with Disney, my dollars have gone local for years now.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, with all the grousing and grumbling about this increase, I have one question....

If you cannot afford $32 (plus tax) more per person (actually less - $2 plus tax for PH, $2 plus tax for WPF, and if you used the $4 one day increase for each day of a 7 day ticket - $28 plus tax for the MYW ticket) for 7 days in WDW, you probably couldn't afford it in the first place, so why complain?

Flame me all you want, but this increase, although seemingly at a bad economic time, is minor and to be expected/planned for year on year. Guaranteed your travel expenses - gas/airfare - will increase much more than this.

I am more interested in the increases in room rates, and that only to determine whether we stay on site or off site.

Post Thanks / Like

We paid $451.56 for 2 adult 3 day base tickets months ago, if we bought them now it would have cost $466.48. So we saved a whopping $14.92 by buying earlier this year.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: