Quantcast Just stayed at Ft. Wilderness

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just stayed at Ft. Wilderness

We just stayed on loop 1600 - I don't know about the other loops, but the vegetation seems to have been thinned out quite a bit. There wasn't much in the way of brush, and not a whole lot of what I'd consider privacy.

That said - it was the best campground we've stayed in yet. The checkin process was seamless and thorough, the site was spotless, the only complaint I might have was that the busses weren't always at the stop when we wanted them! The Trading Posts had ice (and some minor RV items like hoses and bulbs) for a reasonable price - and were less than five minutes away on a bike.

Actually, staying at Ft. Wilderness was the best choice I think we could have made. You can save a considerable amount of money by taking sandwiches into the parks, and fixing meals in a crock-pot prior to coming down and freezing them in 2-quart blocks ensures they stay frozen (with applications of ice, of course) until you want them thawed. Go to the park with EMH in the morning, stay until about 1 or so, go back to Ft. Wilderness, hang out at the pool until dinner thaws, warm it up and then head over to the evening EMH park around 7 or so. Pirates of the Caribbean is pretty much a walkon after midnight!

The new Meadows pool is pretty nice, also - though I've got to admit the water was a trifle murky. The water slide was great and the pool wasn't terribly crowded.

We'll definitely consider doing it again this way. Might be a couple of years, though - I want to wait until some new rides are built!
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We rarely stay anywhere else when at Disney. We put the crock pot on in the morning and when we come back to the trailer, dinner is ready. It is so peaceful and the whole atmosphere is just great. We don't have a trailer right now and will be going in December and it just won't be the same staying in a resort. Our hearts will be at FtW but not our bodies unfortunately.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up staying at FW, and we continue to do so now. It really is our favorite place at Disney to stay. In the last year they really cleared out a lot of the undergrowth, and while it looks a bit bare now, it really did need it.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Mom View Post
    We rarely stay anywhere else when at Disney. We put the crock pot on in the morning and when we come back to the trailer, dinner is ready.
    I suggested that - but DW didn't want to deal with hauling the ingredients, and didn't want to leave the crockpot going all day long. So we did our cooking beforehand!

Also, DS11 had mentioned before that the water tasted funny at the parks and resort. I don't mind (then again, I actually like Beverly) but a simple water filter improved the taste from the tap considerably. So much so that the water bladders in our backpacks got a lot more use than I was expecting! (FWIW, WalMart has some nice, fairly roomy backpacks (their Outdoor Products label) which are designed to hold water bladders like a Camelbak. The backpack and bladder together are considerably cheaper than a Camelbak alone...) Hydration wasn't a problem at all.

As far as chopping down the underbrush goes - I can understand that - it'll help keep the critters down. Just thought it was odd that all the pictures I'd seen of sites practically had them walled in with bushes and such...
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope they decide to reseed all the loops and cabin areas because it looks horrible with all the tree roots and exposed dirt everywhere and no grass or shrubs to cover them up.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the vegetation and brush around campsites was removed as part of a campground wide refurb and upgrading of most sites (new & larger pads, adding cable TV, etc.)

Over time, a lot of that vegetation will grow back.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand they did the clear out for 2 reasons. Upgrading the sites and to stop the potato vine from cloking out everything. Or a plant like the potato vine. In the next couple of years natural growth will occure and fill in nicely. Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Fort. We are still planning our Fort trip for April / May 2010.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: