Quantcast Animal Kingdom VP Changing Jobs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Animal Kingdom VP Changing Jobs

From Jason Garcia's blog on Orlandosentinel.com:

One of Walt Disney World's four theme parks is about to get a new head executive.

Val Bunting, the Walt Disney World vice president in charge of Disney's Animal Kingdom, is changing jobs to become general manager at Disney's Port Orleans Resort. A Disney spokeswoman said the move is Bunting's choice, as Bunting wants to move into the resort side of the business.

Bunting has been the Animal Kingdom vice president since October 2007. The move will take effect once Disney names her successor.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting it is POR he is heading to. The accommodation page is full of complaints about POR.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBrad View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting it is POR he is heading to. The accommodation page is full of complaints about POR.
    Pssssttttt.... Val is a she.

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I'd of thought being the head of AK would be a much more desirable job...

Perhaps she's broadening her skills for a more significant position down the road.
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

lockedoutlogic Guest

This is a classic disney sidegrade....

this is not some white knight riding to port orleans to save the day....and it's not for bad performance at the park (the park GM has no control over capital improvements....where the real power of the purse is....they are basically just yes men to whatever anaheim deems prudent and profitable)

This is a good illustration of the fact that there is nowhere for any mid level manager to go.....there's too many fish in the corporate see...especially in orlando...and nowhere for them to go....

My assumption....but a reasonable one that has born out time and again in the past

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    This is a classic disney sidegrade....

this is not some white knight riding to port orleans to save the day....and it's not for bad performance at the park (the park GM has no control over capital improvements....where the real power of the purse is....they are basically just yes men to whatever anaheim deems prudent and profitable)

This is a good illustration of the fact that there is nowhere for any mid level manager to go.....there's too many fish in the corporate see...especially in orlando...and nowhere for them to go....

My assumption....but a reasonable one that has born out time and again in the past
    Losing Vice President in your title isn't a "side grade" (more commonly called a Lateral Move in corporate speak) -- especially in a company like Disney. General Manger of one of the Moderate resorts can't be a lateral move from the person that was VP of Animal Kingdom -- something has to be going on.

I am not sure where you get your information about the workings of management at Disney World ... just out of curiosity is this just a cynical view of everything Disney or is it based on some actual inside knowledge?
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

not sure about the whole sidegrade/lateral move line of thinking here...maybe I have a lack of understanding about the two positions...but from the outside looking in "VP of a theme park" seems like a much more prestigious position than "GM of a moderate resort."
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Losing Vice President in your title isn't a "side grade" (more commonly called a Lateral Move in corporate speak) -- especially in a company like Disney. General Manger of one of the Moderate resorts can't be a lateral move from the person that was VP of Animal Kingdom -- something has to be going on.

I am not sure where you get your information about the workings of management at Disney World ... just out of curiosity is this just a cynical view of everything Disney or is it based on some actual inside knowledge?
    Look up "Cynical" in Roget's and you'll see "realistic" lister...

I once had a department manager (one of about 10) who was formerly the General manager at Blizzard...and then went on to become "Assistant General Manager" at Pop (pop was shutdown and opened about 2 years after the original date...right at that time)...no disciplinary action

Our GM at a ridiculously busy and profitable resort left to become "Assistant Food and Beverage GM" at MGM...no disciplinary action

Another GM at a Resort (think: pricey, red, and white) had been the GM at Contemporary, Hilton Head, and All Stars....no disciplinary action

And i knew probaby 10-15 regular managers that went to a different location in the same position in a couple of year span...just cause they wanted to park in a different parking spot.

Now granted, this move could have been for disciplanary reasons....but it is a more likely explanation that it was done either because they wanted to move, or there was some kinda unwarranted political shakeup....

how can they do this? because there is logjam in the ranks of management....much moreso than the casual observer would come close to guessing....and the salaries of the managers are probably alot lower and closer together than you think amongst the different titles....

how much do you think a resort GM would make? how much do you think a park "VP" would make?

You'd probably be surprised....especially if you're from a metro area or the east coast....at what it is....

but i'll concede that this might be for sometype of downgrade....though the reality is that it will play out as a sidegrade with just a touch of shake up - briefly - and will end there

Post Thanks / Like

I look at this as a positive... Val was not that great of a VP, she was part of the problem.. People say she was in over her head.. and I believe it... Animal Kingdom has a lot of potential... But things are happening.. Good things... Poor managers being taken out of positions they have no business being in and maybe being put where they can perform better.. This may be one of those cases... If Val was indeed over her head running a theme park, she may be better off running a resort... Time will tell... But, people, believe me, the tide is turning.. TDO is losing on all battlefronts.. Corporate is winning.. And if what is coming up happens to succeed, be prepared to see TDO lose more and more control... With that, when I go to Disney in October, and they ask what I am celebrating, I am telling them the demise of TDO and to the dawning of a new day in WDW!!!!!

Ok, maybe just a bit of a dream there, but, really... good things are coming... sit tight... As long as Phil Holmes, Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton don't get their hands on anything, the ride will be smooth... If they get in the way, it will be bumpy.. The Space Mountain refurb will be the last thing Phil Holmes gets to screw up..
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

lockedoutlogic Guest

TDO?

team disney operations?

terrible dumb obnoxious?

i'm outta the loop on this one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    A Disney spokeswoman said the move is Bunting's choice, as Bunting wants to move into the resort side of the business.
    1) Hard to believe.
    2) This is a major demotion.
    3) The career path is resorts-to-parks.
    4) Not the other way around (example: WL/FW to VP of Epcot)
    5) It takes a long time to get back on the promotion path from this kind of demotion.
    6) I think she blundered somewhere.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    TDO?

team disney operations?

terrible dumb obnoxious?

i'm outta the loop on this one...
    That one fits. I believe TDO stands for Team Disney Orlando.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Hard to believe.
    2) This is a major demotion.
    3) The career path is resorts-to-parks.
    4) Not the other way around (example: WL/FW to VP of Epcot)
    5) It takes a long time to get back on the promotion path from this kind of demotion.
    6) I think she blundered somewhere.
    Rusty, you are right. She blundered. Notice how all this stuff is happening after Iger toured the parks? Not a coincidence.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Rusty, you are right. She blundered. Notice how all this stuff is happening after Iger toured the parks? Not a coincidence.
    Which, if true, is sad considering that it took the CEO physically going into the parks for change to start happening. He shouldn't have had any reason to visit the parks in the first place.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Which, if true, is sad considering that it took the CEO physically going into the parks for change to start happening. He shouldn't have had any reason to visit the parks in the first place.
    Huh? That's a confusing statement. I believe the CEO should be going to the parks, so he can have a better handle of things. When Walt ran things wasn't he there everyday? (I know it was just one park then) But Iger should be doing this as well and then hire quality people that report to him on park business without sugar coating it. Most people on these blogs are complaining about Disney isn't up to its own par anymore. So if that means Iger and John Lasseter need to be more hands to make improvements...I'm for it...
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

When Walt was walking around at Disneyland it was the only park they had and it was close to the Disney Studios. Walt also had an apartment above the firehouse on Main Street which he often stayed in during the park's early days.

Let's face it, the Disney Studios in Burbank isn't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump away from Orlando, nor is the Disney company as small as it was back in Walt's time. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar corporation that spans many different avenues. Bob Iger has a lot on his plate aside from the theme parks.

The fact that he had to physically come to the parks himself proves that things have gotten pretty bad. He shouldn't have to. That's why they have a Parks & Resorts Worldwide President. That's why the individual resorts have Presidents and Vice Presidents of their own. If they're not doing their jobs well enough that the CEO of the entire company has to bring the hammer down and experience the parks firsthand and start making changes, then that speaks very poorly about all the management levels below him.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

I know Iger has a lot on his plate, but I think a quarterly stroll through the parks isn't a lot to ask. Personally, I'd like to think he would do that because he wants to keep an eye on things...Of course even though the company was much smaller when Walt was doing this (and there were fewer parks) one has to remember he was pretty much overseeing everything himself to a large degree. To say he was "hands on" is an understatement. It's not so much that he was a control freak (although some would argue) as it was because this was his passion. One would hope Iger has at least a taste of that in his personality.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

So the CEO shouldn't be touring the theme parks is his in control of? The CEO shouldn't be paying attention to parts of the business he leads? Did you know Michael Eisner toured the parks a lot? And do you know that WDW was at its cleanest and best when Michael Eisner was CEO? Iger been on the job 3-5 years now. I think it is about time he toured the parks to see the state of disarray Team Disney Orlando let the parks get into. Under this regime of terror, maintenance has slipped to unprecedented lows. All TDO wants to do is cut money here and there and not do maintenance. Yes, it is sad it took Iger to tour the parks before things were done. But, it is also sad it took Iger 3 years before touring the parks and actually doing something about the sad state WDW was falling into.

Again, higher ups are grabbing and taking control of WDW, even taking it out of Jay Rasulo's hands. Iger, the directors, and others are finally seeing the light. They are finally seeing Rasulo, Holmes, and in over her head Crofton are doing more harm than good. With Universal making some great and soon to be rewarding risks, WDW had to do something. And this current management team in WDW wasn't going to cut it. Val leaving AK and moving to a resort is really only the beginning, as stated before.

Post Thanks / Like

When Walt was walking around at Disneyland it was the only park they had and it was close to the Disney Studios. Walt also had an apartment above the firehouse on Main Street which he often stayed in during the park's early days.

Let's face it, the Disney Studios in Burbank isn't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump away from Orlando, nor is the Disney company as small as it was back in Walt's time. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar corporation that spans many different avenues. Bob Iger has a lot on his plate aside from the theme parks.

The fact that he had to physically come to the parks himself proves that things have gotten pretty bad. He shouldn't have to. That's why they have a Parks & Resorts Worldwide President. That's why the individual resorts have Presidents and Vice Presidents of their own. If they're not doing their jobs well enough that the CEO of the entire company has to bring the hammer down and experience the parks firsthand and start making changes, then that speaks very poorly about all the management levels below him.
    Michael Eisner had a lot on his plate too, and toward the end, more than he could chew. But, that didn't stop him from visiting the parks and making sure things were on the up and up. He knew the parks were the company's cash cows. Iger should recognize this as well. Seems he is finally learning that, after 3 to 5 years on the job?

And you are right. There is terrible management in WDW and in the Parks and Resorts division in general, starting with Jay Rasulo. DIzneyfreak, me and others have been shouting this out loud for a while now. Phil Holmes is a poor VP for Magic Kingdom, maintenance in Animal Kingdom under Val was terrible, and Meg Crofton is was over her head in her job. The only VPs worth anything right now are in DHS and Epcot. They know how to handle their parks. And before bashing the VP of DHS for Fantasmic show cuts, that wasn't his doing. He was forced by those in Anaheim, ie Jay Rasulo and his henchmen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I know Iger has a lot on his plate, but I think a quarterly stroll through the parks isn't a lot to ask. Personally, I'd like to think he would do that because he wants to keep an eye on things...Of course even though the company was much smaller when Walt was doing this (and there were fewer parks) one has to remember he was pretty much overseeing everything himself to a large degree. To say he was "hands on" is an understatement. It's not so much that he was a control freak (although some would argue) as it was because this was his passion. One would hope Iger has at least a taste of that in his personality.
    You are correct in saying Iger should take a trip through all his parks. Sadly, he doesn't have a management team in place that is worth the price of admission. I do believe he is finally seeing the light. The CEO is the ultimate person responsible for everything. Do you honestly think the Disney shareholders would let Iger off the hook if, after HP opens, that Disney's attendance drops by a large amount and Universal's attendance increases? He'd be on the chopping block quicker than you can say Hogwarts. Think the campaign to oust Eisner was huge? That campaign would pale in comparison.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: