Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 16

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
    My daughter is freaked out to ride on the monorail next week, wwyd?? She is going for her 10th bday to MK.
    I'd take the ferry... No need to push it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    I guess what I'm confused about is how, in all the time Pink was going backward, A) no one noticed Pink wasn't on the spur? B) why would Pink's MAPO need to be overridden? C) unless BOTH switches are moved, Pink would have needed to stop on the spur. D) While Epcot had closed, wasn't MK still open and guests would need transported to TTC? So why do you do the full switch when you'd have to stop using the Express Loop?
    Pretty much why I said ALL trains on impacted beams should be stopped during a switch, except the switching trains. Seems like a process prone to failure and no need to complicate things by having moving trains part of the dance.

a. It's VERY dark over that part of the track. It really doens't surprised me it was difficult to see. That's the reason for backup cameras (and they should be night vision type cameras as well)
    b. Happens during a track switch. Must override the system to perform a switch.
    c. Yes, since pink traveled through the TTC, it's safe to assume that BOTH switches were supposed to move, otherwise pink would of driven into a closed beam.
    d. MK was closed already. DHS was open late that night. They were probably only running a few trains just to allow guests to get back to their cars.

Yes, as I mentioned, apparently both switches were moved to accompish the maneuver, so yes, the express loop would have to be at a standstill.

Post Thanks / Like

Shari, I would just avoid the monorail for a little while if she's scared. Maybe next time.

I just read that two employees were suspended without pay over the monorail incident. The manager who was at a restaurant communicating via radio, and the maintenance worker on the other end of the radio. Earlier Sunday, the monorail central coordinator had gone home sick, which is supposedly what lead to the manager filling in via radio.

From an Orlando news source, via another website.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Safe Bet....

but seriously, the manager would have had little control over that situation anyway. Managers have been known to have little knowledge of the technical systems in the past (cough RESORTS cough)

Managers are often moved around and shuffled between assignments as part of reorganization.
    I know two former transportation managers that were randomly moved there from merchandising.

One day...customer service at Days of Christmas...
    The next...on a Segway in EPCOT telling a friendship boat driver how to dock.

True story
    Aside from the first part, about the Manager being out of a job, I have never agreed so strongly with one of your posts.

Also, managers aren't allowed to take lunch breaks now, just because trains are moving?

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is freaked out to ride on the monorail next week, wwyd?? She is going for her 10th bday to MK.
    I'd share the truth....that the WDW monorail is still one of the safest ways to travel. I'm not a big fan of enabling kids to maintain their irrational fears. Would you not drive a car on your street if there were a deadly accident near your home?
    Last edited by MidnTPK; 07-09-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typos
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Probably very true. Disney wants this entire thing to go away as quickly and quietly as possible, I'm sure. They've probably already got a check drafted with the next-of-kin's name on it and a "fill in the blank" sign next to the dollar amount.
    Really depends on Florida and their worker compensation laws since he was killed while on duty. Potential claims could be limited, capped, or required to be made as a state claim for compensation.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Stop View Post
    Aside from the first part, about the Manager being out of a job, I have never agreed so strongly with one of your posts.

Also, managers aren't allowed to take lunch breaks now, just because trains are moving?

there is a widespread misconception from customers as to exactly what managers at WDW are....

what they do, what responsibilities they have, where they come from.

this is not the time or place...but it would be nice to have a real discussion of the role of WDW frontline managers - past, present, and future

Post Thanks / Like

I'd not even mention it again, and change the subject if she mentions it, then just... do it when you're there. Go up toward the monorails like it's a totally usual thing, and don't make a big deal about it. I think once she sees they're moving people w/no problem, she'll follow the crowd. If she really stalls, take the ferry - but if you make like nothing's wrong, likely she'll act the same way.
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    Really depends on Florida and their worker compensation laws since he was killed while on duty. Potential claims could be limited, capped, or required to be made as a state claim for compensation.
    Ahh ... very good point. I forgot this was a workers' comp kind of situation.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Ahh ... very good point. I forgot this was a workers' comp kind of situation.
    well....not to go to the bad place....but it is widely held that Disney has considerable, (and the assumption is -inappropriate) influence over the courts in Orange County as well....

Roy O. did a masterful job of bending the localities and florida government around disney's goals in the late 60's....there's been several good accounts written mentioning this....

so any litigation against disney is always an uphill battle.
    couple that with the fact that former Gov Jeb and Florida are far from a labor friendly state (in regards to workers comp)...and it is a daunting challenge to anyone involved.

The wildcard is the federal government....as recent regime change and events probably puts the federals' tolerance for corporate bullying at an alltime low. (they are...of course....completely lawyer friendly as well)
    so a damaging NTSB or OSHA report citing Disney will all but make the checks blank...

this is a tragic event...but...it could show alot of insight to the observer of how disney's legal process works.

Some of us are very interested in that type of thing.

Realize, i am in no way discrediting the loss of life or the shock it means....the event was horrible...the by product could be informative

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    b. Happens during a track switch. Must override the system to perform a switch.
    Hindsight being 20/20, but if I understand correctly, MAPO keeps trains from getting too close to each other. Why would it be designed so MAPO needs to be overridden to put trains in reverse? Or is it because the train needs to go onto the spur? Not that I have any say, but wouldn't it make sense to split those? One warning signal/emergency braking for "close calls" (with an override-- maybe a two person one?), and a 2nd warning signal with it's OWN override in order to move a train onto a spur?

Just a thought.
    -------<br />June 05 - WL<br />Sept. 01 - Poly<br />Sept. 97 - CR<br />May 96 - Off Site<br />June 94 - Off Site<br />June 93 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I just read that two employees were suspended without pay over the monorail incident. The manager who was at a restaurant communicating via radio, and the maintenance worker on the other end of the radio. Earlier Sunday, the monorail central coordinator had gone home sick, which is supposedly what lead to the manager filling in via radio.

From an Orlando news source, via another website.
    A correction. The Orlando Sentinel reports that three employees (the other monorail pilot as well as the above mentioned) are on paid leave while the investigation is ongoing, not suspended without pay as previously reported.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

From WFTV Channel 9 News

3 Disney Workers Suspended Over Monorail Crash

Posted: 4:48 pm EDT July 9, 2009Updated: 5:07 pm EDT July 9, 2009
    ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Disney confirmed Thursday afternoon that three workers were suspended as part of the investigation into a deadly monorail accident. Eyewitness News has also confirmed the federal investigation into the accident will end Friday or Saturday.

The National Transportation Safety Board's fact-finding investigation into the monorail crash that killed 21-year-old rail driver Austin Wuennenberg is nearly complete. Facts released so far show the train that was backing up and struck Wuennenberg's train was supposed to be switched to another track, but that didn't happen.

The NTSB has found no mechanical failures with track switches or the system that stops trains.

Wednesday night, a former monorail driver with friends still in the area told Eyewitness News a series of safeguards appear to have been ignored all at the same time.

Thursday, Disney confirmed that a monorail pilot, a monorail shop worker and transportation manager were placed on paid administrative leave related to the investigation.

A different former driver with two friends still at Disney told Eyewitness News off camera the manager and another employee were at Denny's across the street from Disney property and it was left to a maintenance worker to make the switch.

A source close to the investigation confirmed the manager was not in the area at the time of the crash.

Eyewitness News requested an interview with the NTSB investigator on the ground, but he's reportedly too busy. But, according to the NTSB's first report, Wuennenberg stopped his train and tried to reverse it away from the oncoming train.

The NTSB says its investigator will go back to Washington DC when he wraps up the investigation and they will piece the whole thing together to determine what went wrong.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    MAPO keeps trains from getting too close to each other. Why would it be designed so MAPO needs to be overridden to put trains in reverse? Or is it because the train needs to go onto the spur? Not that I have any say, but wouldn't it make sense to split those? One warning signal/emergency braking for "close calls" (with an override-- maybe a two person one?), and a 2nd warning signal with it's OWN override in order to move a train onto a spur?
    That's why I think train movement should be stopped on impacted beams when a switch is happening. With one train in override, it's possible others could be put into a dangerous situation (like trying to get out of the way) and not being able to move without performing their own override.

In your scenario, a two person override would have been necessary to move purple bakwards to get out of the way, and with only one driver, purple would have been stuck. Same result.

If all trains are stopped, purple would not have been moving into the TTC with pink making a switch further up the beam. Purple would have been stopped further down the line, possibly far enough that pink would have realized by then that they were in the wrong and been able to stop.

Again, the whole hindsight thing, but I don't think they would be any worse for wear. You can't make things foolproof. As soon as you think you do, along comes a smarter fool.

Post Thanks / Like

If WFTV's source is accurate about his facts, this is beyond disturbing.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Again,
    I feel so bad for the other (pink) pilot.
    The more I think about it, him backing up through the Very well Lighted TTC, and I believe there is a bend also, how could he have seen too well into the darkness where purple monrail was coming...
    There is so much sadness and guilt to go around.

My best to the family of Austin Wuennenberg.
    My best to the Disney family that lost him.

My sympathies for all involved...

Post Thanks / Like

Default hhmmmm...

My heart goes out to all of those involved, especially to Austin's family and friends.

I guess I still have a question in all of this. Even with the manager and cast member off-site, if you pilot a monorail at Disney and supposedly know your way around, how do you not know that you are not on the right track? If you are switching from Epcot to MK Express, there would be a track to your right side. Even with all visual impairments that the trains seem to have (low light levels, no clear rear view, etc.), the pilot would be able to look out the side of their cockpit and see that the track was on the wrong side or that there was no track where there should be. So many things here just don't make sense or maybe have not sunk-in, yet. So sad...
    MIcKEy șoș
    "Behave at the peak of genetic madness." -Ray Bradbury

"All I want you to think about is when people walk or ride through anything you design, I want them to have smiles on their faces when they leave. Just remember that and that's all I ask of you." -Walt Disney to the Imagineers

Post Thanks / Like

I ride in the front of the monorails at DLR all the time. The new system they have in theirs has two monitors. One is for the monorail cars and one is for the front and back. It would seem like an upgrade like that should be installed in the WDW ones since there are more of them there. I probably don't know as much as Mufasa does about our system, but that's what it appears to be.

Somebody also mentioned about less people on the boats. That worries me if that's true. That led to our accident with the Columbia I believe it was, when the inexperienced person didn't put the rope right around the dock right and it was pulled out and killed the one person and injured some others.

Seems like when parks are busy like a 4th of July or other holidays, things are not done normally and may make for mistakes. Thing is, there needs to be a lessons learned from the loss of Austin.

Post Thanks / Like

this may be a bit off topic, but do you think they will replace the two (or more) sections of the monorail trains? it would be better than scraping both trains completly.

if this has been answered somewhere and i missed it, please direct me in the right direction
    once there was a princess who never let her imagination stop her from dreaming up scenes and stories as she walked around the park.
    so if you ever see someone talking to herself, that would be me.

Celestria
    p.s. i may be a disney fan, but i can't spell.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Celestria View Post
    this may be a bit off topic, but do you think they will replace the two (or more) sections of the monorail trains? it would be better than scraping both trains completly.

if this has been answered somewhere and i missed it, please direct me in the right direction
    that is the likely course....or perhaps even remachine the existing cars and then place them back into service....

it's pretty clear now that nothing was wrong with the trains...so there's no need to scrap anything

those trains are pretty expensive...and built by a European firm if i remember correctly....i'm sure scraping is a final option

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: