Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so tragic. I never worried about a monorail crash before, because I knew about the safety system, and when on board I could see out the window and saw a great distance between mine and the other monorail when we were stalled and waited for clearance to go.

Thoughts and prayers out to the family of the driver.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Just awful.
    Question though: why does it look like the crash happened outside on the track and then in other photos, it looks like it happened inside the TTC station? Did it crash and 'push' inside the station?
    So sad to see these photos on CNN right now.
    I wonder if it crashed right outside the building, but then they had to carefully move the trains in to get everyone off, since the video shows them getting off at the TTC
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Many prayers for the family of the CM. They must be devastated.

I seriously doubt if the driver was incapacitated before the crash; I'm sure I've read that the monorails are equipped with a system similar to railroad engines, commonly referred to as (grimly) a "dead man's switch". If the operator's grip on the controls is lost(e.g., if the operator falls asleep or becomes unconscious), it automatically cuts power and applies the brakes.

I would anticipate that in the future riders will not be permitted in the driver's compartment.

It hasn't been clarified yet, but I don't believe that this was a "head-on" crash; rather, it was more likely a "rear-end" collision, and the driver of the second train was injured by the impact, or needed medical attention due to the traumatic experience. One local TV station reports that he was taken to a hospital "as a precaution".

Obviously, there's a lot of speculation at this stage of the investigation (my own included); let's hope that the exact cause can be pinpointed and future accidents avoided.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the monorail driver.

We rode up front with the kids a couple of times. The drivers explained Mapo to us. It seems so impossible that this could happen. I hope they can figure out what happened quickly.

So sad.
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Very Sad News My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those involved.

The video is rather disturbing but very telling and I highly doubt that it will be pulled from the internet since it is legitimate news.

I hate to speculate of these things but it makes you wonder about the maintenance on the trains. I would have to guess this was some sort of equipment/software failure. I'm guessing the system will be closed for quite some time until they sort out exactly what happened and upgrade the safety systems.

I also find it very interesting that it happened on one of the busiest days of the year. Makes you wonder if they were trying to increase capacity and failed to adjust the system properly.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

That is very sad news. Prayers go out to the family, guests, and all involved in the tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    And to think of WDW functioning without monorail on such a busy day, not that it matters considering the safety of guests is paramount and the loss of the driver is so sad.
    I was thinking the same thing. While not the most important thing, certainly a terrible time for WDW to be without the monorail operating.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Something also tells me they will no longer allow guests sitting with the pilot...
    That is probably true, and sad. We rode in the front of the monorail one of my more recent visits. One of the friends I was with at the time later became a monorail operator during his recent college program.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Being that it was one of the busiest days at DW, it is a miracle that more were not hurt. Such a sad day for all involved. We are all deeply saddened.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

So sad! Feel so bad for the driver's family but things could have been a lot lot worse!
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers for the family of the driver and for the guests who are down there now. I can not imagine. especially as a child, how traumatic!
    ºOº The Ziemer Family
    Chris, Chrissie, William & Hailey
    1989 Off Grounds (I was only 10]
    2001, 2003, 2005 ASM
    2006 POP
    2008 ASM
    Sept 2010 POR
    Oct 2012 AoA - Food & Wine Festival w/o kids!

Post Thanks / Like

A very sad day. Everyone's thoughts and prayers are with all those involved in this horrific accident. Hope that they can figure out how this happened so that they can prevent anything like this from happening ever again.
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My prayers go to the young man's family and friends! I also feel sorry for the people who had to witness it. The video brought tears to my eyes.
    ~~ Lisa ~~
    You're of worth! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Trips to WDW: 6
    Trips to Disneyland: 8 plus.

John 3:16 is a place to start.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    Many prayers for the family of the CM. They must be devastated.

I seriously doubt if the driver was incapacitated before the crash; I'm sure I've read that the monorails are equipped with a system similar to railroad engines, commonly referred to as (grimly) a "dead man's switch". If the operator's grip on the controls is lost(e.g., if the operator falls asleep or becomes unconscious), it automatically cuts power and applies the brakes.

I would anticipate that in the future riders will not be permitted in the driver's compartment.

It hasn't been clarified yet, but I don't believe that this was a "head-on" crash; rather, it was more likely a "rear-end" collision, and the driver of the second train was injured by the impact, or needed medical attention due to the traumatic experience. One local TV station reports that he was taken to a hospital "as a precaution".

Obviously, there's a lot of speculation at this stage of the investigation (my own included); let's hope that the exact cause can be pinpointed and future accidents avoided.
    In looking at the video one monorail rear-ended another. I too hope that they are able to figure out the cause to prevent any future accidents.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

The video is chilling. The pilot was younger than myself... Rest In Peace. Hopefully as Marker said, Disney gets the cause figured out and corrected ASAP.

It's odd, we were stuck on the track for a good 10 minutes on our recent trip waiting for clearance, and they also did a test of the emergency stop. I think we were on Monorail Black. Sometimes my mind goes down a morbid path and I had a discussion with my fiancee about the best way to brace myself if something crazy happened like the monorail falling off the track. Two weeks later and we have a crash... tragic.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

As hard as it is to avoid, speculation about an accident like this usually does more harm than good. First someone says "I can't believe it could have been X so it must have been Y," then others head off in many directions and pretty soon we have full-blown conspiracy theories and nightmare scenarios for which there is no evidence at all.

Accidents very rarely have a single cause. Most often they are caused by an "error chain" (yes that's a technical term) -- some combination of factors including failures of humans, machines and pure dumb luck. Until a full investigation is done, we're not going to know what really happened. Until we know what really happened, it's not useful to speculate about the accident itself nor about the implications (will they let guests in the front car in the future, will I ever go on the monorail again, etc. etc. etc.)

Most likely we're going to find out this accident was a result of a "perfect storm" of several factors -- a one-in-a-million thing. And WDW will certainly correct whatever needs to be corrected to make sure it never happens again.

Meanwhile, the best use of our energy is to keep the drivers' families, and the unlucky guests who were there when it happened, in our thoughts and prayers.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

dizneefan67 Guest

Default Prayers for Austin !

My heart goes out to the family of Austin Wuennenberg, the driver of the ill-fated monorail at WDW. Its an awful thing to happen to someone young and full of dreams. I am very confident that Disney will do the very best to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again. Once is enough! My prayers go out to ALL whowere involved, the co-workers, the friends and family members. May you all find comfort in Christ during this tragic time!

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable! Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and we hope they are receiving all the support needed to get through this tragedy.
    Richard
    "please stand clear of the doors"
    multiple times as little kid but don't remember the dates
    1993-ft. wilderness
    1994-contemporary
    1995-ft. wilderness
    2002-caribbean beach/polynesian
    2003-off property
    2005-coronado springs
    2009-off property condo
    2011-Bay Lake Towers/Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts and prayers to everyone invovled.

Chilling video - especially when they are trying to get a response from the driver.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Breaking News

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is it just me or has this just been a ridiculously miserable past month or so?

Consider all of the following that's happened:
    1. Air France crash kills 228 people off the coast of Brazil
    2. A Yemenia Airlines plane with 153 people on board crashes into the sea off the Indian Ocean
    3. A train wreck on the D.C. metro system kills 9
    4. Michael Jackson dead at 50
    5. Billy Mays dead at 50
    6. Farrah Fawcet dead at 62
    7. Ed McMahon dead
    8. Karl Malden dead
    9. Steve McNair shot to death at age 36
    10. WDW monorail crash kills 1
    and Gale Storm...this is a sad and hard time

Post Thanks / Like

Just terrible! Prayers for Austin's friends, family, and co-workers.

I will be interested in seeing what the investigation uncovers.

25 magical trips and counting...
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    1986 Tampa
    Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    December 2013 Contemporary
    Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Dec 2013 Boardwalk
    PROUD member of the Disney ParksMoms Panel!

*these postings are my own and do not reflect Disney's postions/opinions*

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the picture and just cried and cried.

My prayers and with all who were affected by this tragedy.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: