Quantcast We leave for Disney's HHI resort in two weeks!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default We leave for Disney's HHI resort in two weeks!

Our first time...does anyone have any must do's, must see's, buildings to request (we have a 2BR villa), anything that would be good to know? Thanks!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry no tips

Sorry no tips, but we would love to hear about your trip when you get back. We are thinking about September 2010. We listen in on a conversation while lounging in the pool at VB. They loved it. Close to Charleston and Savanna for day trips too. We watched Samantha Brown's trip to Savanna and wanted to go now we have a home in the area for a base to explore. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that this is nice place to go. Lots of stuff to do. Can't waite to hear the trip report when you return!

Post Thanks / Like

I visit HHI several times a year (the in-laws have a vacation home there). I have been to the DVC there, but never stayed, nor have I been to the beach house. So I'm happy to help with general HHI questions, but can't really help with DVC related ones.

Anyway, there aren't many 'sights' on HHI...there's the beach, the nice restaurants, the golf courses, and the bike trails. There's no water park and only a few small mini-golf courses. People spend their time with low-key/low-tech activities...sort of the anti-WDW.

The classic HHI activities are swimming in the ocean/pools, riding bikes on the paths and beaches, playing golf, and dining out.

I suggest visiting Sea Pines and going to the South Beach Marina and the Salty Dog cafe....food at the cafe isn't all that good, but its a county law that if you visits HHI you have to buy a Salty Dog t-shirt! Climbing the lighthouse at Harbourtown is also a typical activity.

And if your kids are 3-11 years old, it's fun to have them take part in Gregg Russell's performance each night at Harbourtown. Note that you have to pay $5 to enter Sea Pines, but many restaurants will take $5 off your bill to reimburse. Go to hiltonhead dot com and click on the Island Events/Official Guide and you'll see ads.

I'm happy to offer more specific suggestions or restaurant suggestions...but it would help if I knew the ages you are travelling with.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love ideas for restaurants. Its myself, DH, 2 daughters 15, 13, and my son, he's 9. We're pretty low key, we love good food and relaxing. Nothing too upscale for us. This trip is all about kicking back. Thanks!
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

HHI has a lot of chains as well as independents. I've rarely eaten at any of the chains, but I've rarely had a bad meal at Outback, so I'd assume the HHI is the same.

Our favorites for nicer, but not super-fancy dinner:
    - Truffles Cafe or Grill (visit every trip)
    - Redfish
    - Seagrass Grill

Our favorites for casual lunch or dinner
    - Fiesta Fresh (a real hidden gem...we eat here almost daily...few tourists know about it)
    - Mi Tierra
    - Kenny B's French Quarter Cafe
    - Ruan Thai
    - The Ice Cream Cone in Coligny (ice cream and diner food)

Favorites for special dinner:
    - Old Fort Pub
    - CQ's

You can see menus for many of these places at hhidining dot com.

If you're planning on doing some water sports with the kids, make some reservations because HHI can sometimes be like WDW: people book wayyyyy in advance.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll bring all of those ideas with me. I know we would like to do a dolphin tour..also maybe horseback riding..Did you ever try that Signes bakery I saw on the Food channel?
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Thanks! I'll bring all of those ideas with me. I know we would like to do a dolphin tour..also maybe horseback riding..Did you ever try that Signes bakery I saw on the Food channel?
    We LOVE Signe's Bakery. We go to HHI every Thanksgiving, and get our Thanksgiving dinner from Signe's (can't beat their pies). Their key lime pound cake is really good-it gets better with every bite. Other people raved about it, so I tried it. The first bite was OK, second pretty good, next good, then yummy! Now it's awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We leave for Disney's HHI resort in two weeks!

I live in Savannahwhich is 30-45 mintes away from HHI. HHI Island beaches are nice.
    We have Paula Dean places to eat,River Street.There are many historic things to do here.
    At this time Miley Cyrus is doing a movie at Tybee Island. She will be here until September. Many people have spoke to her. Tybee Island is about 1 hour from HHI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jusandnew View Post
    I live in Savannahwhich is 30-45 mintes away from HHI. HHI Island beaches are nice.
    We have Paula Dean places to eat,River Street.There are many historic things to do here.
    At this time Miley Cyrus is doing a movie at Tybee Island. She will be here until September. Many people have spoke to her. Tybee Island is about 1 hour from HHI.
    I am sooo excited to see Savannah. We are flying into Savannah from Jersey. I'd love to eat at a Paula Deen place. I love her stuff, make stuff from her magazine all the time. Is it true its impossible to get in her place?? Is Tybee island in Georgia or SC? My girls would love to hear this!
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

We typically stay at Disney's HHI Resort about once a year. (We're skipping this year because of our recent trip to WDW & the economy but please say hello to everyone while you're there for us!). We love Building # 31 & 29 but any building facing the marsh is fine with us. I'm not sure how long you're staying but when you check in study the daily schedule they give you and pick out the things you'd like to participate in. We love the campfire sing along, family nature walks, kayaking, stories with B'Lou and Shadow, craft activities they offer for children and the "older" kid events. Some cost extra (and usually a small fee, at that), some are free. In July there are fireworks over the marsh. We've done the Low Country Shrimp boil once and if it's your thing, it's a fun night but a little pricey for what you get. We skipped the cook out that they do on fireworks nights last year and were sorry we did. It looked delicious and well worth the cost. HHI is very bike friendly so you might want to rent bikes.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me. As I think of more things I'll post them. You're going to have a wonderful time. My husband is not the Disney nut in our family (I am!) but after staying here the first time about 7 years ago he decided that was the place he wanted to make our usual vacation spot. We have friends in Savannah (and I used to live there) so we've been to this resort about 6 times since we discovered it 7 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple Dolphin Tours that leave from Shelter Cove Marina but we think the private tour offered by Low Country Nature Tours is well worth the little extra you'd pay. They can leave from the docks on Disney's side; just let them know that's where you're staying.

Our favorite restaurants include:

Signe's (for breakfast and boxed lunches for the beach)
    The Sea Shack (a little hard to find but WELL worth the extra effort. Be prepared to wait if you don't get there close to opening. It's a local favorite)
    Truffles Cafe
    Red Fish Grill
    Ocean Grill
    Del Vecchio’s Family Restaurant (for pizza)
    Salty Dog Cafe (mostly for the browsing and the required t-shirt)

And if you have a specific questions, I'd be happy to help if I can!

Post Thanks / Like

Iheartdisney- I just sent you a PM! Don't be scared of all my questions! I'm just so happy you offered to talk to me about HHI!
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to be a DVC member to go here. It sounds great! I stayed at a Holiday Inn (I think) on HH and it was a great ocean front location, but otherwise unimpressive.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    Do you have to be a DVC member to go here. It sounds great! I stayed at a Holiday Inn (I think) on HH and it was a great ocean front location, but otherwise unimpressive.
    No,anyone can go there, but it's not very well known,that's the only reason why most people there are DVC members.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: