Quantcast NO MORE ADRs - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NO MORE ADRs

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. This is why we schedule only a few TS meals for each trip. We make ADRs for evenings when we likely will not have to make that park vs. dinner choice (e.g., the evening we arrive; DTD/resort hopping day; and after visiting AK, which closes early).
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have done it both ways; ADR and on the fly.

Truthfully, there are some places that we like to frequent and if you do not have the reservations, it will not happen. There are a lot of people who visit WDW and just so many seats to go around.

We have only used the Dining Plan a few times and we have found that we eat more than we would normally just to get our monies worth. (How much pre-packaged Choc Cake can you eat, and only because it is included? Is it something that you would really order if it wasn't?)

Also, we have tried to be creative using our TS meal for lunch, eating the heavier meal mid-day, leaving the balance of the afternoon to walk it off, then use the CS for the evening meal, which gives you more options to choose from.

Everyone is different, some are planners, using RideMax to maximize their ride times, and use every moment they are at WDW. Others have been to WDW numerous times and just enjoy being there and going with the flow.

I guess that is the freedom of choice!

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98)

2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
    2008 - BWV (2)
    2007 - BWV
    2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
    2005 - HH, BWV (2)
    2003 - BWV
    2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
    2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
    2000 - BWV
    1999 - BWV, HH, VB
    1998 - BWV, Swan

Post Thanks / Like

On our honeymoon trip in 1994, we walked in to all the places we ate. I think the only place we had to wait was King Stefan's Banquet Hall.

On our trips I try to schedule no more than one table service meal a day and keep everything else flexible around that. Yes, it can be tough to nail down what park to go to on each day and be committed to that, but we're also working around parade and entertainment schedules before planning meals.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I think another poster said it, the root of the problem is also the DDP. Because you have to use a table service you have to eat at those restraunts. I'd much prefer the DDP to be 1 counter and 1 table a day, but I want to cash in a table for another counter that should be allowed. Then I could get the DDP and only make a couple of ADRs and feel fine knowing my meals are still included, just not confirned to TS only for that 2nd credit
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, don't like ADRs.

1. Who knows when they're going to be hungry? I don't eat just to eat.

2. Who knows what they're going to feel like doing? If I have been waiting in line for 1 hour, I'm not leaving it to go eat.

3. The food at WDW really is just mediocre at best. True, I have not been to V & A, so I can't speak for every single restaurant!

4. The blame can most assuredly be placed on the dining plan. And, since I don't use the dining plan, I don't feel I should have to pay the price by not being able to walk in anywhere. I also agree that the dining plan just makes people feel the need to order the most expensive thing on the menu and overeat in order to feel that they've gotten their money's worth.

So, yes, to each his own. But, it does get frustrating and I wish the system could be better.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of the ADR's. I like knowing what we're doing and where we're going.

Now, we did try the deluxe plan, and that was way too much planning for me (and way too much time eating). We felt like the whole vacation was running from ADR to ADR.

But, having one reservation a day isn't too much, and we have the peace of mind of knowing we're going to get to eat where we want, and don't miss out on a favourite restaurant.

I would hate to worry all week about if we were going to get to eat where we wanted, and having to rush to try and book things every morning of the trip.

We made reservations when we go other places, even for special places here at home, so why should WDW be different.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    We made reservations when we go other places, even for special places here at home, so why should WDW be different.
    For me, the difference is I usually don't need to make reservations 3 months in advance for restaurants that for the most part are average. In other vacation destinations, if you need to make a last minute change to your dining plan you have so many more options.

This is actually why we started renting a car so we don't need to get stuck with just Disney restaurants although I enjoy a couple of the DTD places too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    For me, the difference is I usually don't need to make reservations 3 months in advance for restaurants that for the most part are average. In other vacation destinations, if you need to make a last minute change to your dining plan you have so many more options.
    Granted, most restaurants don't need reservations three months in advance, but there sure are some around that do (particularly in Manhattan)! And we need to recognize that not all vacation destinations are as busy as WDW.

I agree... I really do feel for the first-timers who don't have a clue.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, there are places that are difficult to impossible to get into in Manhattan - but they are mostly gourmet high end restaurants. Disney has a couple of nice restaurants then places that wouldn't get a second glance if you were anywhere else.

And you hit it on the head - Disney is really busy but more importantly they are also very captive. They get vacationers on their property and they don't leave until it's time to get home. It's brilliant from a business stand point.

In the past few years, Disney got away with downgrading their menus, reducing portions, increasing prices and all the while booking most of the restaurants to capacity on a daily basis. All in exchange for the magic of being and staying on property.

Post Thanks / Like

Then you have the overbookers (which I am guilty of) who book 2-3 ADRs a day and then just figure out which one they want that day. For example I am on the DDP and I booked a TS meal every day, but on some days I booked 2 TS meals, just as a backup. Unfortunately its the only way to be sure I can be flexible in my schedule. I don't want Ohanas, well I have Cape May for Lunch instead...all good but I took a reservation from someone else, so I make sure to cancel the other ones when we decide
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

We dislike the structure as well which is why we tend to eat mostly CS. That and the fact that it's hard to eat too many lengthy sit down meals with little kiddos. CS is not all just hot dogs and chicken nuggets. In fact other than the one Casey's dog we always have each trip I don't think we've had hot dogs or chicken nuggets. We can eat out at home. We come to WDW for family fun so we only schedule a couple of ADRs each trip. It works perfectly for us.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Count us among those who truly appreciate ADRs. I dont find it all that limiting, and a carefully made plan works well for my whole family. WIth crowds so big so much of the year, "day of" or walk up allocation of tables would be chaos. There are enough people stampeding as it is. We have family favorites that we would HATE to miss (more about atmosphere, perhaps, than the gustatory experience), and we like to try a new place or more each trip. ADRs allow us to do that with a little planning before our trip and almost NO stress during it.
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estein80 View Post
    I vaguely remember this, but every time we walk into Epcot DH starts to reminisce about the days when you could walk up to a screen and talk to person to make a reservation from the park.
    YES! I remember those kiosks in Epcot. The CM would pop up on the screen and be able to see you too. It was a fun way to make ressies. I enjoyed that....ah, the good ol' days...
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an ADR fan. We usually plan 1 TS meal per day of our trip and pick the resturant based on what park we plan to be in that day. So, for us first we need the park hours for our stay, then we decide what park, which day we plan on hitting then make ADRs.

We like knowing we have 1 ADR that we can sit down and relax and enjoy our meal. Our TS is our big meal of the day (Breakfast, lunch or dinner) and then if we get hungry along the way we just have snacks. I don't feel like our ADRs define or confine us. They actually give us peace of mind.

To each his own...
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm a fan of ADR's.

I find that we waste more time standing around with 3-5 other members of my party trying to figure out where everyone wants to eat. Because of the ADR system we already know that so we enjoy our day up until the time to leave for the ADR.

Also for my children and I, we need to eat on a schedule otherwise we are prone to migraine headaches. So waiting until a restaurant isn't busy won't work for us. Nothing ruins a vacation like a migraine!

Post Thanks / Like

I love ADR's. I don't plan my trip around the ADR's, I plan the ADR's around my trip. Has your family ever done this to you, "where do you want to go? I don't know, where do you want to go? I don't know, where do you want to go?"

My family will waste time and get frustrated with each other because nobody can decide on chicken or pizza - it drives me bonkers!!!

I avoid all of that and plan a table service for each day and we pick a counter service on the fly. We look at the park schedule and decide what park we'll be at according to the activities scheduled and then pick a restaurant in that park or close by.

It works out great! There is no wasted time and I don't have to yell at anyone "just decide!!!".

On a cruise your dinner is planned by the cruise ship. In the park the only difference is I get to decide when and where.
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10- DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10- CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12- POR 1/8 - 1/15
    Next - CSR 12/20 - 12/28, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

We tried ADR's once and I absolutely hated it. You are constantly checking the time, trying to decide if you have time to ride one more ride and are sort of confined to that park. We don't go to WDW to eat, we go for the rides and shows. If I wanted good food I would head over to the coast to some real seafood restaurants and get an excellent meal at a reasonable price. We often go over to Daytona or maybe the Gulf side around Clearwater to eat seafood. Its interesting to go to some of the various countries restaurants in Epcot from time to time but we just walk up and see if they have an opening and if not we go to a CS restaurant. We just don't let eating rule our trip.

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I wish they would leave x amount of tables per place open for walk ups each day. I know that they won't, but it sure would make it easier to have a spur of the moment trip!
    Actually, I could just imagine that making things even more chaotic. You know, people rushing to the restaurant claiming that they had those seats first, and such. Even though more freedom would be nice, I think it would just add to the chaos.

But, ADRs really aren't that much of a hassle to my family. We normally only make one ADR on our trip so that we can have more freedom. My family isn't one of those families that have to have 5 star dinner every night, so it doesn't bother us. If we have to have ice cream for supper one night, so be it! ADRs save me from having to look for somewhere to eat. And, about using my time before my ADR, we either go around and shop, head to the restaurant early so we can get a good table and beat the rush, or ride a ride we see has a very short line (rarely.)

Post Thanks / Like

We do two types of trips.
    1...all parks, all the time.
    2...total R&R...we might visit one or 2 parks.

When we do the first type we really don't make ADR's. We are happy to eat CS because it works better to just eat when and where we are hungry.

When we do the second type, in recent years, we have gone during free dining. Which actually works for us because the big event for most days are the TS dinners. We have been to the world numerous times so we never feel the need to do anything special. Yes, we all have a few special attractions that we must do but it's only 3 or 4 per park so that is easy to accomplish without upsetting the ADR plans.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Then you have the overbookers (which I am guilty of) who book 2-3 ADRs a day and then just figure out which one they want that day. For example I am on the DDP and I booked a TS meal every day, but on some days I booked 2 TS meals, just as a backup. Unfortunately its the only way to be sure I can be flexible in my schedule. I don't want Ohanas, well I have Cape May for Lunch instead...all good but I took a reservation from someone else, so I make sure to cancel the other ones when we decide
    You, and people like you, are big part of the problem!! Don't you understand how rude it is to monopolize possible tables just for your own gratification? You are probably one of those who will not call to cancel the ones you are not using, even the same day, right?

That is why I wish there were some restrictions on how many ADRs can be made per reservation - ONE PER NIGHT (in any combination -- if you are staying 5 nights you can make up to 5 TS credit s worth of ADRs) and ALL ADRs must be made with a reservation number.

Sorry, but this is something that really upsets me about ADRs.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: