Quantcast Southwest Airlines Announces New Policies - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllDisney View Post
    What happens when someone is allergic to cats and or dogs?

How does SWA intend to handle that issue?
    The same way the other airlines have, I imagine-which is to say, they don't do anything. I know that about 15 years ago, we traveled with all 3 of our cats in the cabin. Although we had to have approved carriers, carry their shot records, and pay a fee (I don't remember what it was), I don't remember any formal announcement like "There are cats on board. If anyone's allergic, please let us know." I know that DDIL would have raised her hand. It does seem a little puzzling to me that nothing was said. Also, I wonder, with the number of people who have severe peanut allergies, why do some airlines still insist on passing out peanuts?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Thanks for the update, Ed!!

In further news...most all major airlines today announced a new policy that if you wish to breathe during a flight it's now a $50 oxygen usage charge. If you wish to breathe clean air it's $150. Also, a $25 facility charge will be added to anyone using the restroom and a $50 safety charge is added for a working seatbelt.
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I don't want an animal under the seat next to me. I don't want to hear it, smell it or start sneezing because of it.
    I feel the same way! For one thing, all three of my children are allergic to cats!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean my ECV is going to cost me $100?
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    Does this mean my ECV is going to cost me $100?
    That's a good question. I would suggest calling SWA and asking then please post and let us know the answer.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I did a little digging on SWA's website and found this on their "Customers with Disabilities" page:

Manual and Power Wheelchairs

Southwest will stow wheelchairs in the aircraft cabin as long as they can be stowed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) safety guidelines. Each aircraft is equipped with a specially designed wheelchair storage compartment to allow in-cabin stowage of at least one standard-size adult collapsible wheelchair. The wheelchair compartment is located in the rear of the aircraft and is available for Customer use on a first-come, first-served basis.

If the wheelchair will not safely fit in an approved cabin bin or stowage area, we will transport it in the cargo compartment at no additional charge. However, we suggest that all removable parts (i.e., cushions, arm or leg rests, and side guards) be stowed in an overhead bin or under a seat if the parts fit and meet all FAA safety requirements for onboard stowage. The Customer has the option to retrieve the checked wheelchair at the gate or baggage claim upon arrival at his/her destination.

If you are traveling with a power wheelchair, in the event that we need to prepare your wheelchair for stowage, we may ask that you relinquish your power wheelchair up to an hour in advance of departure. In that case, you will be transferred to an airport wheelchair until boarding begins. Power wheelchairs and scooters will be securely stowed in the cargo compartment of the aircraft. Southwest recommends that all removable parts of the wheelchair be stowed in the overhead bins.

If your wheelchair/scooter is powered by a wet cell battery, the battery will be removed and placed in a protective battery box, as required by federal HAZMAT safety regulations. It would be most helpful for the Customer to label the battery cables with corresponding colored tape or provide detailed disconnection and reconnection directions so that the Agents at the destination city can quickly and easily reconnect the battery to the wheelchair. You may bring one “spare” wet cell battery for each battery needed to operate your wheelchair. Those batteries will also be packaged in a protective battery box.

If your wheelchair/scooter is powered by a nonspillable battery that is in good condition and can be stowed upright in the cargo bin of the aircraft, we will ensure the battery is secured and will not remove the battery. In order to prevent shorting and possible electrical fire, we must disconnect the battery either by using a quick disconnect mechanism, if present, or manually removing the cables from the battery. Again, if the Customer can provide disconnect directions or label the corresponding cables, our Agents can easily reconnect the battery and return the assistive device more quickly at the Customer’s destination. We do not limit the number of “spare” nonspillable batteries a Customer may check in.
    Bottom line - it appears that SWA will continue to transport wheelchairs/scooters at no additional cost.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I don't want an animal under the seat next to me. I don't want to hear it, smell it or start sneezing because of it.
    I hear what your saying, but I don't want a crying baby next to me either. I don't want a pesky little eight year old constantly pulling the back of my seat the whole flight. I don't want to sit next to a woman who has enough perfume on to send my allergies into shock. I don't want to sit anywhere near an elderly person who cannot control their flatulance. I don't want any of these but I have. Poor me!

Post Thanks / Like

DGS has to travel unaccompanied every time he comes down to see us and his mother since he lives in WI with his father and vice versa when he is living down here and goes up there to visit. I don't like it but he has done it several times and loves it. We go with him to the gate and his dad picks him up on the other end. They have to have the name of the person picking up ahead of time and you have to provide proof of ID. They board the minors first and they generally sit in the back but last trip, they upgraded them to first class. He really loved that! Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do and they always take good care of them. But DGS is a very outgoing child and I'm not sure I would send one that was scared of flying or afraid to go alone. I would just make other arrangements.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie54 View Post
    I hear what your saying, but I don't want a crying baby next to me either. I don't want a pesky little eight year old constantly pulling the back of my seat the whole flight. I don't want to sit next to a woman who has enough perfume on to send my allergies into shock. I don't want to sit anywhere near an elderly person who cannot control their flatulance. I don't want any of these but I have. Poor me!
    With all due respect, this is an absurd comparison.

First off, you're comparing a human being to an animal. Secondly, a child cannot simply be left behind like a pet can.

But more importantly ... while it might be a minor irritation to you to have to listen to a crying child, it's not a health issue. My BIL is deathly allergic to cats and literally has his airway close up when he's around them. He can barely breathe and, if he doesn't get medication quickly, could quite easily die.

I think this is an absolutely ridiculous policy. People need to stop acting like pets are people and leave them at home.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think this is an absolutely ridiculous policy. People need to stop acting like pets are people and leave them at home.
    What are people that are moving long distances supposed to do with their pets? Driving is not always feasible. Just because pets they are not human, doesn't mean they should be subjected to travelling in cargo areas of the plane when they will fit in cabin as prescribed and permitted by the airlines.

I do think there should be certain pet free flights because there are people with severe allergies that should be accomodated in advance. But the airlines should not be able to deny boarding to passengers that paid the fare for their pets at the gate because someone announces they have a pet allergy when they arrive at the airport and see a pet carrier.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shocked that such an insensitive and rude comment was made by an Intercot Staff Member.

Have you never had a pet?

Have you never had to move with a pet?

Pets are family, like it or not, and are also living, breathing creatures who deserve to be handled with humanity -- in the airplane cabin.

People with allergies can request to move their seat. People with severe allergies should make accommodations with the airline ahead of time. Pets have been allowed on most airlines for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You know ... I had a different response posted here, but somehow I don't think it's really worth it so I'll just apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings or offended anyone.

That was not my intention. I, in fact, was offended by the suggestion that children and pets should be subject to the same type of treatment on an airliner.

Anyway sorry again if I stepped on toes. My toes were stepped on and I reacted badly.
    Last edited by Ian; 06-08-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

As one that has moved to another country for three years and had to take our pet because he was a family member for many years and we couldn't stand giving him up and knew if we left him behind with a family member that he wouldn't survive, I know what it is like to fly with a pet. He was too large to put under a seat, although I would have felt a lot better about it, but back then most pets went in the cargo hold. I worried about this the whole 24 hour trip and was afraid that they would let him out when we changed planes as I have heard about animals escaping and being chased all over the runway, and also worried about him not being walked or having food and water on the trip. So I can understand people who have small pets wanting to put them in the cabin with them. But if it was just a vacation or such, I would definitely leave the pet with a friend or board them instead of subjecting him, us, and the other passengers to all that it entails. Moving is one thing, just taking the pet on a trip is another.

I also understand the other side where you don't have a place to leave them or, like our dog, they go beserk when boarded, and need to be taken. I don't know the answer here because my DH also is allergic to cats and would immediately notice if one was around him and would pay later. I can understand taking a dog because they are higher maintenance but think a cat could be left behind because they are easier to have someone come in and check on them every day. I think more people are allergic to cats than dogs. I think maybe the answer is to just drive where you have to go if taking a pet. What if you are moving, have to fly, have a larger pet, and the airlines do not put them in the cargo hold any more? What do you do then?
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

You know ... I had a different response posted here, but somehow I don't think it's really worth it so I'll just apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings or offended anyone.

That was not my intention. I, in fact, was offended by the suggestion that children and pets should be subject to the same type of treatment on an airliner.

Anyway sorry again if I stepped on toes. My toes were stepped on and I reacted badly.
    Okay, my turn....I apologize. It was not my intention to offend anyone by my comments. You made an excellent point about this being a serious health issue. The point I was trying to make(rather poorly) is that some people were so quick to complain about the original post. IMHO, SouthWest is still one of the best airlines.
    On a more personal note, Ian, I always enjoy reading your posts here. Not only are you a Disney expect but you also bring a logical point to many conversations. Again, I apologize as I don't want to get on the wrong side of someone I respect so much.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Southwest could designate "Pet Flights" where the pets would be allowed, and everyone with possible allergic reactions can plan accordingly.

They could flag these on their website with a dog/cat/paw icon.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie54 View Post
    Okay, my turn....I apologize. It was not my intention to offend anyone by my comments. You made an excellent point about this being a serious health issue. The point I was trying to make(rather poorly) is that some people were so quick to complain about the original post. IMHO, SouthWest is still one of the best airlines.
    On a more personal note, Ian, I always enjoy reading your posts here. Not only are you a Disney expect but you also bring a logical point to many conversations. Again, I apologize as I don't want to get on the wrong side of someone I respect so much.
    Eh ... no worries. To be perfectly honest, I was cranky yesterday and probably just over-reacted.

I see both sides of this issue and agree it's sort of sticky.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Eh ... no worries. To be perfectly honest, I was cranky yesterday and probably just over-reacted.

I see both sides of this issue and agree it's sort of sticky.
    Ditto.

Plane travel isn't easy. It's public transportation, with lots of rules. While some accommodations can and should be made to make the greatest number of people comfortable, the truth is that you can't satisfy every single person 100% of the time.

Some people are fine with just a small carry-on, and therefore the fees don't bother them. Other people need 3 or 4 over-sized bags. Some people are allergic to cats, other people need to travel with them. Some people have crying babies, others don't like children.

If you want a flight without [insert undesirable trait], you should make other arrangements. It shouldn't be the "offenders" responsibility.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: