Quantcast Going to New York. What to do there??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to New York. What to do there??

Ok so a friend of mine and I have decided to take a summer trip to New York. Neither of us have been before. So I need some ideas of what to do for 6 days in New York in August.
    Bonnie
    Oct '89 Comfort Inn and CBR
    Nov '92 Comfort Inn and DixieLandings
    Feb '96 Comfort Inn
    Feb '98 All Star Sports (Tennis)
    Feb '04 Disney Cruise, Pop Century (50's)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

You're talking New York... so where does one begin? Aside from all the usual stuff(Empire State Building, Wall Street, Statue of Liberty -recently re-opened, World Trade Site, Rockefeller Center) I would recommend a place off most lists -McSorley's Old Ale House(do an internet search). If you enjoy beer, of course. The place is a little quirky, they only serve their ale(light or dark) -I believe nothing else, and you order based on the date(even days you order even quantities, odd days you order odd quantities). It's been a few years since I've been, but they keep the cash in the open behind the bar -they say they've never had a cash register and never will. Check out the restrooms.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I spent a weekend in NYC last summer. Our favorite part other than the Yankee game we attended was the Circle Line cruise that we took out of the South Street Seaport. We also enjoyed just walking around Manhattan and made our own sight-seeing tour. I hated Times Square but I don't like large crowds and it was definately crowded - wall-to-wall people! I bought a small NYC guide-book that fit in my purse and did a lot of internet research to map out the best route to see what we wanted to see in the little time we had.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely have to see a Broadway show, try a matinee for lower prices. Try to get tickets for attractions, like the Empire State Building, online in advance- it will save you time waiting in lines once you get there, and might be less expensive, too. Check into that now because you need time to get the tickets in the mail.

There are some wonderful walking tours. I love getting a guidebook and mapping out my own walking tours of various parts of the city. My favorite thing to do in NYC is to just walk around and soak it all in, stop at little cafes or shops when I feel like it. And don't forget Central Park. The Bronx Zoo. The museums.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree that if you would like a couple of beers to try McSorley's Old Ale House.

Look into The New York Pass (not the City Pass), it includes admission to over 50 attractions, such as...

Empire State Bldg
    Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
    Central Park Zoo
    Bodies, the exhibit
    Carnegie Hall tours
    Madamme Tussauds
    Top of the Rock
    Circle Line Cruises
    NBC Studio Tour .... just to name few
    check their website

get up early and be outside The Today Show, get a photo with Matt, Al & Meredith.

Request tickets for The David Letterman Show or The View.
    Do this well in advance. My requests for Letterman took about 2 1/2 months. I did let them know when I would be in town. Otherwise, try the standby line.

Of course, go to Ground Zero.

A Broadway show is a must...

HAVE FUN.

Post Thanks / Like

well of course..i will suggest the World Of Disney in NYC!!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

also, (correct me if I am wrong)..Times Square has recently been closed to traffic, except emergency & delivery trucks for the next 6 months. If things go well, it will be a permanant pedestrian mall.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look in to the New York Pass. I think it would be a big help if we could avoid lines!!
    Where would the World of Disney be? Any excuse to buy Disney stuff!!! We are planing to see Mary Poppins, Mamma Mia and possibly the Lion King!! Keep the suggestions coming!!
    Bonnie
    Feb '96 Comfort Inn

Post Thanks / Like

World of Disney is currently located on 5th Ave very near the south entrance of Central Park, the Trump Tower, FAO Schwartz, Rockefeller Center, and St Patrick's Cathedral. If you head that way, take a dip inside the lobby of the Trump Tower and check out the 5 story waterful - it's spectacular! We didn't have time to see a Broadway show but there are some pretty good deals on tickets sometimes available.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We were in NYC 3 weeks ago. We had such a fabulous time. We always say that there is something to do for everyone in NYC -- regardless of what you like doing.

Top of the Rock (going to the top of the Rockefeller Center) was phenomenal, and provided views far superior to the Empire State Building in my opinion.

Duck Tours. You can pre-book on line for one of these amphibious tours. It was a perfect "light" tour --- saw some points of interest whilst heading to the Hudson River, saw a little film about the Hudson, then took a little boat ride before heading back to Times Square through Hell's Kitchen. Fabulous couple of hours, and we highly recommend it.

Walk through the park. I don't know where you are staying, but you have to get into Manhattan and spend a day wandering through Central Park. There is so much to do, or not to do depending on your tastes. There is still an old Caroussel working there, and it doesn't cost much to ride.

The Museum of Natural History is a fabulous way to spend at least part of your day.

Go to a Deli. Our favourite is The Stage on 7th Avenue. The food is fresh and fabulous, and the experience makes us think "Real New York".

We were disappointed in the WofDisney store this time. It used to have some special Disney things, but it now seems to have become just an oversized Disney Store. Too Bad.

Wear comfortable shoes, 'cause walking is the way to go in NYC. Such an efficient road system (at least Midtown, where we stay). I hope you have a terrific time!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I am 58 yo, lived here all my life, and I have not done most of the touristy things.
    When outside folks think NYC, they think only of Manhattan forgetting the other 4 boros.
    Try the Bronx Zoo, Coney Island Aquarium, Coney Island itself.
    Go swimming at Rockaway Beach in Queens,try fishing from a party boat in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn.
    Go to a baseball game, both MLB teams have brand new stadiums. (I am a Mets fan).
    Try some real pizza, not the catsup and cardboard sold by the chains.
    Go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, the top rated steak house in the country.
    Still, Manhattan has the museums, Broadway shows, South Street Seaport,etc.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am busy looking them up on line!
    Now my next question is about the subway. I am a little leary of the subway but realise it will be a very convenient way to get around. They also look confusing. What should I do to get around via the subway?
    Bonnie
    Feb '96 Comfort Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a Map. Study it, especially the key. Know which station you are closest to, and which station is closest to where you want to go. Know where you can transfer. Don't transfer if you don't have to, in other words, if you're on a line that goes to Penn Station, and you want to go to the Empire State Building, get out at Penn Station and walk, it would be way faster than transfering just to save a 15 minute walk. And conversly, If you are leaving a place, it may be faster to walk to a further station if that line brings you closer to your destination.

Try to buy as many fares as you think you may need the first time so you don't have to buy them each time.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I would not worry about being on the subways (unless it's 3 am), but at all times do keep your purse firmly under your arm. THe bus system is also very good, but slower. Other things to do could include the cloisters museum at the north end of manhattan (it's a museum of medieval stuff). If you are a chocoholic try Max Brenner's or Serendipity3. There's also a double decker sightseeing bus that you can buy a ticket for and get on/off all day long.
    Life is Beautiful - pass it on. Sign your organ donor card.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: