Quantcast Turn off your phones!!! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Dh and I both carry our phones because we split up often with ds and would never find each other again. We do keep it on vibrate when at shows or rides.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ojeilatan View Post
    We carry our phones at WDW for one reason only - we've learned the hard way (on the Vegas Strip of all places) how simple it is to get seperated even as adults.
    Yep...after losing my family at DTD with no way to contact them (because I basically forgot about the guest relations there! It was my 1st time, I pretty much forgot a lot of everything I researched). I had no cell phone at that time and will be very glad to have one this time around. I *really* don't want a repeat of that.

It will be on silent though during shows and basically if I'm not seperated from my family, I have no need to use it. I basically only use it now to contact my DD & DH.
    Becky
    Contemporary - 7/05
    Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 7/11 with extended family (15 of us in all!!!)
    ME, DH, DD-17, DS-14, DS-10& DS-7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
    Yep...after losing my family at DTD with no way to contact them ...
    +1. As noted above, I try to leave my Blackberry locked away (far away) from me during trips, but we always have my DW's phone. That's the emergency way for the office, family, etc. to reach us. Also functions as a clock, as neither of us typically wear watches.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!!!! It makes me

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree about cell phones in attractions. Just like in movies, turn them off or silence them, but have some manners!

We had someone talking on the cell phone when Muppets 3D was starting. First, I just looked at him, when that didn't work, I looked again and said would you please shut up?! That did it.

As far as the grocery store, though, come on, since when has Publix become a sanctuary? It's a grocery store. Bluetooth is just a fact of life now, we have to deal with it, as long as it's not rude. It is funny, thought that something that would have gotten you a one way ticket to the funny farm is now and everyday occurance.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I completely agree about cell phones in attractions. Just like in movies, turn them off or silence them, but have some manners!

We had someone talking on the cell phone when Muppets 3D was starting. First, I just looked at him, when that didn't work, I looked again and said would you please shut up?! That did it.

As far as the grocery store, though, come on, since when has Publix become a sanctuary? It's a grocery store. Bluetooth is just a fact of life now, we have to deal with it, as long as it's not rude. It is funny, thought that something that would have gotten you a one way ticket to the funny farm is now and everyday occurance.

Agreed, turn them off as I originally posted but I agree with you that using your cell in the store is fine, just don't be on it when you are trying to check out, thats rude and slows you down
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
    Dh and I both carry our phones because we split up often with ds and would never find each other again. We do keep it on vibrate when at shows or rides.
    we keep them just in case,but always on silent and never used during a show or attraction
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

I've never taked a phone to the parks, and I don't plan to on this trip. I figure I can check it in the morning and evening. That's what voice mail is for! (of course I will admit that I only got a cell phone about five years ago due to being really resistant to the idea of always being able to be found by people...weird, huh?)
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Unfortunately Disney can't jam the signals it's against FCC regulations.
    Can they jam the signals in people's heads?
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Our cell phones fit perfectly into the little safe in the room and stay there until we are done for the day. I'm on vacation, if anyone needs me they can wait.

We leave a copy of of schedule with the folks at home, so I guess if there is ever an emergency, they can find a way to contact the restaurant we are going to be at that day. Otherwise, leave me alone! I'll call a couple of times to check on my kitties and when we get there to let people know we've arrived.

Last year was the only time we've ever carried it with us one day because my luggage was lost, but I hated having it and couldn't wait to be rid of it.
    FW '88 • FW '89 • CBR '91 • POFQ '92 • WL '93 • WL '94 • DLH '95 • ASMu/PR '96 • DLH '97 • CBR '98 • FWC '99 • FWC '00 • POR '01 • AKL '02 • FWC '03 • POR '06 • ASSp '07 • PC '08 • PC '09 • DL '10 • PC '11 • POFQ '12 • CBR '12 • POR '14

Next up: Universal Orlando - September 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default Discussion vs. Reality

What I read in many of these posts is "separated... ...emergency messages".

What I see in the parks is dBrats (and that "d" isn't "dear") who can't stop twitling their pointless, stupid "me... you... you... me... whatever..." text nonsense while attending shows and riding rides. There is nothing these idiots have to text to the universe that can't wait until they are in a place where they aren't disturbing others.

There are many selfish, oafish lummoxes in the world. Sharing a day of attempted magic at WDW with some of them seems inevitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicster View Post
    We like to have our phones handy for when/if we split up. That would never actually be on a ride or during a show. ONLY when we are apart would we turn on the ringers. Is this hard to figure out or what???

That's what DD and I do. We both have phones, and have agreed in the past that if/when we get seperated, we'll turn them on incase the other calls. Other than that, they're pretty much off the whole week. Occasionally DD will check messages/texts, but not often. Family members at home have our interary, so if they need to get in touch, and the phones are off, they can always call the resort to leave a message as well.

It's called vacation for a reason, I don't understand why people just can't put their phones down. I realize some people need to stay in touch 24/7 due to their work, but everyone else? Just relax and have a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Agreed, turn them off as I originally posted but I agree with you that using your cell in the store is fine, just don't be on it when you are trying to check out, thats rude and slows you down
    I agree...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We keep ours locked up in the room safe.

We dont even take our phones to the parks. For one - I dont want to lose or break it. We leave an itinerary with my parents and our hotel phone number. We tell them that we do not check our messages until we get back from the parks - since we usually are in the parks from opening to about 2-3pm, then back for a nap, then back out - that is enough time to make any calls if necessary. Yes, I understand there could be emergencies, but checking our voicemail in the middle of the day works for us. I tell all family and friends that we do not have our phones with us in the parks - this also lets us enjoy our vacation without people texting and calling us all day!
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment52 View Post
    It's called vacation for a reason, I don't understand why people just can't put their phones down. I realize some people need to stay in touch 24/7 due to their work, but everyone else? Just relax and have a good time.
    Please post this same response in the 'Why not free WiFi?" thread. The same things apply - you are on vacation, not at work. Why can't the myriads of other people at work take care of the business!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment52 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    Please post this same response in the 'Why not free WiFi?" thread. The same things apply - you are on vacation, not at work. Why can't the myriads of other people at work take care of the business!!

I don't understand why people care how other people spend their vacation time. Who cares if someone wants to talk on the phone or go online in their hotel rooms for whatever reason - work, check in with family members or just because they feel like talking on the phone? At the end of the day, it's not affecting my vacation.

For the record, I am 100% in favor of cell phone courtesy - ringers should be off during shows and rides, no texting during dark rides, etc. I think that's rude and does impact the enjoyment of others and should be avoided.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    I don't understand why people care how other people spend their vacation time. Who cares if someone wants to talk on the phone or go online in their hotel rooms for whatever reason - work, check in with family members or just because they feel like talking on the phone? At the end of the day, it's not affecting my vacation.

For the record, I am 100% in favor of cell phone courtesy - ringers should be off during shows and rides, no texting during dark rides, etc. I think that's rude and does impact the enjoyment of others and should be avoided.
    Thank you, I agree. I am not evil for wanting to stay connected to my family back home while on vacation. I would never talk on the phone in a show or ride, but I certainly will pop my bluetooth on once a day for a few minutes and call my sisters on 3 way. They love WDW too but are not able to go as often as we do. So it is a great nostalgic thrill for them to join in with me every now and then and hear the sound of the merriment on Main Street.

I absolutely will take my phone out and snap a pic of my kiddo noshing on cotton candy in front of the castle and then sit on a bench for a minute and upload it to facebook to show family and friends what we are up to that day. It's fun!

I will totally sit in the lobby of the WL and read the news online on my phone while I sip my tea in the morning. It's what I do, I have never been a newspaper reader. And it's ok...it's a wi-fi world we are in.

However, rude is rude and if someone is misusing a cellphone and disrespecting others, speak up and tell them so. If it is me, I give you all permission to bop me.... Otherwise, I am pretty sure what I do with my phone on vacation will not bother anyone.....but my husband. hehe
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: