Quantcast What would you do? (Harry Potter edition)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do? (Harry Potter edition)

DD9 has read the first five HP books. She loves them, and has also seen these movies (all at home).

However, I've been hesitant to let her read the sixth book. The ending was a little too heartbreaking (at least for me), and I'm not sure I want her to read it just yet. We don't plan on letting her see the new movie, at least not until DH and I do.

She deals with things very well, so I'm not sure if I should just let her go ahead and read it. I think one of her friends already told her how it ends, so maybe I'm being overprotective.

Any opinions?
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the 6th Harry Potter book at the age of 9 and it did not effect me. Yes, it was heartbreaking, but there are much worse things. You should let your daughter read it; I'm sure she would be able to handle it.

If you want heart breaking, try reading Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows. *shivers*

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Maybe you should us this opportunity to let your daughter experience the book .. and have discussions with her about how she feels.

At 9 I think she would be old enough to read the book ... even with a sad ending, it's still written for kids.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I would let her read it. As you said before I am sure she knows what happens at this point anyway. Besides as the PP said it may be a good way to answer questions that may not come up everyday.
    DakandZakMom
    7-03 POR
    7-05 All Star movies
    07-06 Pop Century
    07-07 Pop Century
    07-08 POR
    07-09 Pop Century
    07-10 Pop Century
    07-11 POR
    07-12 Pop Century
    07-14 PO French Quarter
    07-16 Coronado Springs

A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I did with DS8. It's not like it's gruesome or anything. Sad, yes, but still within the bounds a 9 yr old can handle.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I think it could be handled by a 9-year-old. If she liked the first 5, I have a feeling she will like the 6th one too.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Let her read it. There is a death in the 5th book as well, I don't see the difference.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

If she wants to read it I would say go for it. My mom never censored anything I read and I think it's the best thing she ever did for me. It's what inspired me to be a librarian.

That being said, my library catalogs HP books as Young Adult (12-16) and not Juvenile (5-11).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies!

Someone mentioned being a librarian, and the classification of the HP books. I volunteered in DD's school library last year, and the librarian wouldn't allow her classmates to check out the first book, saying it was for fifth graders only. I smiled to myself: at that point, DD was almost done with #3.
    Tammy

10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    2/02 - WDW - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Alphamommy-

SO what is YOUR answer. Will you allow dd9 to read it ?

I agree with the other posters- I would think a young person who has handled all the books well should be fine. But that is me and my DD7 is not up to reading them yet...

Post Thanks / Like

You should let her read it; she'll probably surprise you.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

It has some very dark moments, but I think the ultimate ending brings it all to a very nice conclusion. There's joy and rebuilding. It's not all bleak. Yes, she'll suffer the loss of some beloved characters, and only you know how much she's ready to face. I think it's appropriate for the age.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned being a librarian, and the classification of the HP books. I volunteered in DD's school library last year, and the librarian wouldn't allow her classmates to check out the first book, saying it was for fifth graders only.
    That's interesting. In the public library, we may put books in a certain collection, but anyone can still check them out. It's more of a recommendation. I didn't realize school libraries did that. My DS6 just started in elementary school this year. I don't believe what a child should be allowed to read should be up to the librarian or school. But, that is why I work in a public library. Well, my son will always be allowed to read whatever he wants. I was allowed and so will he -- I read The World According to Garp when I was in 5th grade. It's still one of my favorite books. Maybe not completely age appropriate for a 10 year old, but I loved it just the same.

So, what would happen if she brought in her own copy to school and she wasn't yet in 5th grade? Would it be taken away? Or would it not matter if it wasn't a school library book?

Post Thanks / Like

I so agree with you DisneyDog!

My kids are allowed to read anything and everything. I was, and then given the opportunity to discuss books with my parents.

Back to the original question though.... If you don't want her to read it yet, then don't let her. You are the parent and the decision is yours. Maybe you could offer to read it with her if that would make you more comfortable?
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

If she wants to read it, I would let her. Bravo to any children who take on the task of reading a series! Books as thick as some of the Harry Potter's could be daunting to kids, so I love seeing them read them! That being said, my DD9 finished reading the Twilight series a few months ago and she loved them, but I can't get her to want to start the Harry Potter series. I wish I could!
    I agree with a PP that there was death in the previous books that could be considered traumatic also. If she dealt with the previous books and enjoyed them, she can handle the remaining.
    Also, if she is going to read the final book, it gives good resolution and lessons.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Put me in the "Let her read it" category as well. DS is too young to read the series at the moment (he's only 5), but when/if he wants to read it, he can. (I plowed through "Stranger in a Strange Land" no later than the 5th grade. . . and wound up doing an oral report on it in class.)

I am of the opinion that kids need to know that there is evil in the world, and, more importantly, that evil can be defeated.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a 9 yo dd and am letting her read the books, her little sister already wants to read them (she's mature for her age of 7, but am holding her off). Has your dd read Narnia books? I thought Aslan's death was pretty traumatic. It's good for kids at this age to learn about death and they have us to talk to about it. Oh, another great book I loved which I need to find for my kids "The Ghost of Windy Hill", Iloved it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say let her read it too. Even though there are dark moments in the latter HP books, the basic theme of love, friendship and loyalty conquering all still come through.

Post Thanks / Like

DD9 started HP 6 this afternoon. I thought a friend had told her what happens at the end, we found out today that she doesn't know.

Thanks for all the opinions! You reinforced what DH (who hasn't read the books) thought!
    Tammy

10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    2/02 - WDW - WL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: