Quantcast Avoid Hollywood Studios?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Avoid Hollywood Studios?

Should we steer clear of the Studios on a Star Wars weekend if we have no desire to participate in any of the SW events?

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my DD's away from the RNRC or ToT for the first 3 days of our trip!!

How insane will it really be?

Then I suppose I should expect BIG crowds a couple of days afterwards for people who avoided the SW weekend......

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I went back in 2003, I can't remember it being too insane. If I remember correctly most of teh events took place over by he Star Tours Ride area.

If you should go to the Studios during the SWW, the walk up times for some of the attractions you talked about should be short. Everybody will be participating in the SWW events.
    [/COLOR]1993 Caribbean Beach SENIOR WEEK
    1998 1 Day Visit Magic Kingdom and MGM
    2002 Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2006 Port Orleans French Quarters
    2007 POP Century
    2011 POP Century for 9 days

2013 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

We plan on attending next Sunday! Hope the crowds are too terrible.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling it is going to be worse this year only due to the new Star Trek show coming out which makes everyone Star Wars crazy. I know they are two different shows but the theming has a lot to do with it anyway. Just be prepared.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I went to DHS during a Star Wars Weekend during our anniversary trip in 1995.

Honesty, I don't remember the crowds being that bad, except in the area that the actual events were taking place.

We quickly decided that our two DS would not be getting anything from Tatooine Traders for their "we went to WDW without you" gift.

I think if RNRC and TOT are your primary objectives - you should be fine! You may have to wait to get into the park but "most" of the people will be heading toward the SW events.

Have a great trip!
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

We found it to be pretty crowded. I think I remember leaving the park after we watched the special Star Wars parade because it was a bit too crazy for us.

It was much calmer on a day outside the special activities. The Star Wars characters were pretty cool to see, though!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default thoughts on Star Wars weekend/DHS

I have never been to DHS on a Star Wars w/e, but.....my thought is.....the Star Wars w/e will draw more people who are Star Wars crazy vs. Disney crazy......I picture people going in dressed like Darth Vader etc.....the draw for that would likely be hanging out in the area of Star Tours.
    If you plan not to try to do the Star Wars stuff, then it is probably ok (or at least in the am or when all the SW stuff is going on).
    Might just be amusing to "crowd watch"
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last summer during Star Wars weekends and it wasn't bad at all. Don't get me wrong, it was crowded but no more than any other summer weekend. We had no trouble at all getting on all our fav rides and even did some of the SW stuff! It was very fun. Go and enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

We only go to Disney during Spring break or the first week after school gets out so we are only used to the busy season, but we didn't think Star Wars weekend was especially bad. I think the true Star Wars lovers get absorbed into the character lines and Star Wars events. I don't remember the lines being worse anywhere else. We always get there at park opening and do the big attractions (TOT, TS, RR) and it works out fine. If it gets too crowded you could always leave after doing your favorites.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We went 2 years ago and the crowds were no worse then any other time...Just try not to get caught in the parade traffic...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Last year we happened to attend during Star Wars Weekend and could hardly move. We felt like a herd of cattle. It's a bit insane. There r lines everywhere and soooo many people. It was an experience but we wound up living about 2 hrs after arriving once we saw it was going to be impossible for our family to enjoy the park.
    07'* ASM-April 29-May5

08* Pop-June 1-8

09* ASM-May 30-June 6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not too crowded

I've been to DHS on several Star Wars weekends and I've never noticed a significant impact on crowd levels. It is a bit more crowded over by the Star Tours area, but overall park attendance doesn't seem to be that much higher.
    Summer 1978 - off site
    July 2000 - CBR
    May 2001 - PoR & AKL
    Dec 2002 - WL
    Apr 2003 - ASs
    Feb 2004 - Poly
    May 2005 - ASs
    June 2006 - ASs
    June 2008 - Pop
    June 2010 - PoR
    May 2012 - Hilton Garden Inn
    June 2014 - Floridays Resort
    December 2014 - CBR
    March 2015 - Swan
    June 2015 - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

DW and me were there during a Star Wars W/E in May 2005. It really was not noticibly busy at all. I think the longest we waited for anything was 30 minutes for the Rock N Rollercoaster. We didn't even need to use any Fast Passes. Maybe we just got a fluke day.

Post Thanks / Like

Three of our trips have been during Star Wars Weekends, and I have never noticed MGM being any more crowded on those days than any others.
    The Star Tours area, especially the gift shop, is packed, but the rest of the park has always been 'normal', at least from our experience.

There is a morning congestion of all the fans getting into the parks, and then the lines of people waiting to get autograph passes. But, that in itself leaves less people in line at the attractions. At least for the first hour or so.

To make things even better, this year, I believe they plan on doing the autograph fast passes outside of the park.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

i'm guessing which weekend you go and what day of the weekend could make a lot of difference. I think they did that autograph fastpass outside thing last year and it worked out well.

Donro Shelg, HTOWildcat of Citracal
    Honorary Star Wars Title

'Tiggers are wonderful things'
    AKL
    All Star Music/Sports
    Big Red Boat
    CB
    Contemporary Garden
    Disney Institute Bungalow
    FW Campground/Cabin/Home
    Pop
    Poly