Quantcast Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney? - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The death that occured in Texas was a child that was brought from MEXICO to get treatment in Texas....this child was not from Texas...he did not get the flu while in Texas

I think it is important to stress that the one death in the states was brought from Mexico...

DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, it is a flu combination of avian (bird), swine (pig) and human viruses. Apparently, it combined together at some point and it was believed to "jump" or transfer from swine to humans. Given that it is a combination strain of flu and new to humans, it leaves our healthcare to deal with the "unknown factor". It is not that it is any stronger than any other virus...just that it is a "New" virus that humans have little or no immunity to.

It is still unclear why it was so much more deadly in Mexico than in other countries. However, it would be my guess that the healthcare standard is lower than that of "richer" countries. Not to mention that healthcare is difficult to obtain and many were flat out turned away from medical care in Mexico. In the defense of Mexico...they lack funds and medical technology necessary to effectively deal with such a "new" virus. With regards to the child in Texas who died, the child was Mexican and was visiting relatives in the US...and the child also had underlying medical issues unrelated to the flu virus. As far as deaths related to the Swine Flu...put it in perspective by knowing that Influenza kills approx. 35,000 people in the US every year.

If it were such a highly deadly virus, we would be informed by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) to do more than "wash hands throughly", "use alcohol based hand sanitizer", "stay home when sick", "stay away from others who are sick".

It is a virus...plain and simple. Given the statistics of the usual strain of Influenza (given above), this strain seems no more deadly. The only difference is that the media doesn't report every flu season about the possible cases that crop up in each state and county or city within that state. Can you imagine what the media's maps and reports would be like then!?!?!?

To me...much of the hype and hysteria is caused by the media. It seems like it is turning into some weird kind of witch hunt and it is very easy to get swept away in all their hype.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FriendsofMickey View Post
    Can someone educate me on the swine flu? Why is it causing the panic that is causing?
    I have read a few articles, but the only thing I have gotten from them is:
    1. We have not seen this strain in years.
    2. Mexico has had a lot of deaths from it.
    Lori Ann,

I work with the state EMA and office of Homeland Security here in Alabama (not for, just with as I work with the VOAD on coordinating disaster response in my role as a pastor). As such I've been getting a lot of briefings from the sources (not the media) on what's going on since we have 3 potential cases in AL. The WHO is not freaking out and neither is the CDC. They have done what they are actually supposed to do. It's the media that has picked this thing up and totally freaked out about it which has caused concern and panic among the populace. I laughed out loud when I saw hand sanitizer bottles at my local bank and the local Chick-Fil-A yesterday. Not that it's a bad idea, especially at a food place, but it's never been done at any other flu outbreak.

First, let me set the record straight on a couple of things...the 1918 flu pandemic was bad, but of the 40-50 million people who died a very thorough study was released very recently that proved the overwhelming majority of those people died from bacteria related causes (strep, specifically), not the flu virus. Obviously bacteria is much better understood and treated today. So, this "swine" (a bad misnomer) flu pandemic is not going to bring about the recurrence of the Black Plague with body carts roaming through the streets. Also, keep in mind that as of this morning, the WHO has only confirmed 331 cases world wide and 10 (that's right, only 10, not the inflated numbers you see in the media) deaths related to this flu. Nine of those in Mexico. The 176 death number is an estimate from a couple of Mexican authorities, and not confirmed by laboratories or forensic science.

The legitimate concerns about the virus are this:
    1.) It's a new hybrid mutation mixing bird, human, and pig genetic material (does that mean this should be called the "when pigs fly" flu?). This is a strain we've never seen before.
    2.) Because this is a strain we've never seen before humans may not have any natural immunity to it which means it will spread quickly and easily.
    3.) Also because this is a new strain we don't know how deadly it will be. Right now it appears fairly mild, but it is mutating rapidly and could grow stronger. Or not. We don't know.

A pandemic does NOT mean that people are dying everywhere. It means that an infectious disease is being easily transmitted by human to human contact in multiple countries. That's what's happening, so that's why the raised alert level. IF you get the flu you'll be sick for 3-4 days just like with most other flu viruses. Not fun, but not usually life threatening unless other complications intervene. What basically makes this one different is that you're more likely to catch this than "regular" flu because of no known immunities already in place.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, you present a very good assessment of the situation. Thanks. And you gotta love it - Flying Pig Flu. Classic.

Kidding aside, when something like this comes along, it is vitally important that health officials get an understanding of it as quickly as possible. Because it is possible that another 1918 style pandemic can occur. That's the concern. Thankfully, it appears this virus is not capable of such carnage.
    You are correct stating that back then people died from other issues, but isn't that always the case? It's not the virus that kills per se, but the pnumonia and other complications the virus causes. So, yes we are much better prepared for this and any future virus. But stating that a pandemic which causes wide scale death can't happen again may be overstating the case.

In my first post to this thread i posed the question, "How deadly is this virus?" as the main concern. If it is no worse than seasonal flu, then the world can breathe a sigh of relief.
    Let's pray this continues to be the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Strmchsr:
    Thanks for such a thorough answer!
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Lori Ann,

I work with the state EMA and office of Homeland Security here in Alabama (not for, just with as I work with the VOAD on coordinating disaster response in my role as a pastor). As such I've been getting a lot of briefings from the sources (not the media) on what's going on since we have 3 potential cases in AL. The WHO is not freaking out and neither is the CDC. They have done what they are actually supposed to do. It's the media that has picked this thing up and totally freaked out about it which has caused concern and panic among the populace. I laughed out loud when I saw hand sanitizer bottles at my local bank and the local Chick-Fil-A yesterday. Not that it's a bad idea, especially at a food place, but it's never been done at any other flu outbreak.

First, let me set the record straight on a couple of things...the 1918 flu pandemic was bad, but of the 40-50 million people who died a very thorough study was released very recently that proved the overwhelming majority of those people died from bacteria related causes (strep, specifically), not the flu virus. Obviously bacteria is much better understood and treated today. So, this "swine" (a bad misnomer) flu pandemic is not going to bring about the recurrence of the Black Plague with body carts roaming through the streets. Also, keep in mind that as of this morning, the WHO has only confirmed 331 cases world wide and 10 (that's right, only 10, not the inflated numbers you see in the media) deaths related to this flu. Nine of those in Mexico. The 176 death number is an estimate from a couple of Mexican authorities, and not confirmed by laboratories or forensic science.

The legitimate concerns about the virus are this:
    1.) It's a new hybrid mutation mixing bird, human, and pig genetic material (does that mean this should be called the "when pigs fly" flu?). This is a strain we've never seen before.
    2.) Because this is a strain we've never seen before humans may not have any natural immunity to it which means it will spread quickly and easily.
    3.) Also because this is a new strain we don't know how deadly it will be. Right now it appears fairly mild, but it is mutating rapidly and could grow stronger. Or not. We don't know.

A pandemic does NOT mean that people are dying everywhere. It means that an infectious disease is being easily transmitted by human to human contact in multiple countries. That's what's happening, so that's why the raised alert level. IF you get the flu you'll be sick for 3-4 days just like with most other flu viruses. Not fun, but not usually life threatening unless other complications intervene. What basically makes this one different is that you're more likely to catch this than "regular" flu because of no known immunities already in place.
    That was the best explanation of what's been happening that I've read or heard anywhere. I sometimes write health stories and it drives me absolutely crazy that some reporters get it so completely wrong.

Yesterday I watched a CNN anchor repeatedly ask her interview subject whether experts were trying to find the animal source of the virus "so this doesn't happen again." Now this is an award-winning anchor who apparently is completely ignorant of how influenza viruses work. How can we expect them to educate the public if they don't even get it themselves?
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Strmchsr;

I wish all newspapers would/could run your response in 48pt type on the front page!!

Thanks for the being the voice of rationality!

Post Thanks / Like

we are leaving for disney in 24 days and will be using hand sanitizer and lysol wipes.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

A discussion I heard is that a lot of people in Mexico either have TB or are carriers and that some of these cases are a result of that. We should be more worried about TB being carried across the border of our country and spread than this flu virus. Our country has erradicated TB pretty much and we don't need it to start spreading again here.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    A discussion I heard is that a lot of people in Mexico either have TB or are carriers and that some of these cases are a result of that. We should be more worried about TB being carried across the border of our country and spread than this flu virus. Our country has erradicated TB pretty much and we don't need it to start spreading again here.
    I know you're probably just repeating something that you've heard, but please let's not further confuse the situation. Tuberculosis (TB) is caused by a bacteria, not a virus, like the Swine Flu. The two are not related. And while it's true that the percentage of people in Mexico infected (or exposed, which means that they have developed the antibodies, even if they don't have an active infection) with TB is higher than here in the U.S., TB is already a lot more common in the states than people realize; it is not eradicated. But once again, it is not related to the Swine Flu.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sounds silly, but until this virus mutates and causes as Zombie outbreak, I am not worried.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I know you're probably just repeating something that you've heard, but please let's not further confuse the situation. Tuberculosis (TB) is caused by a bacteria, not a virus, like the Swine Flu. The two are not related. And while it's true that the percentage of people in Mexico infected (or exposed, which means that they have developed the antibodies, even if they don't have an active infection) with TB is higher than here in the U.S., TB is already a lot more common in the states than people realize; it is not eradicated. But once again, it is not related to the Swine Flu.
    I wasn't saying that the two were the same thing. I just meant that the discussion was about so many people having TB in Mexico and that if they did get sick with this virus, the TB probably complicated things and made it worse. But it is a fact that TB is being brought across the border and we don't get TB innoculations or tests as much any more in this country like we used to unless we are going out of the country. It is a possibility that it will be spread again in this country from Mexico if we don't step up our innoculations again for it and start being diligent. Sorry to be off topic but the discussion I heard was in connection to the Swine Flu and that maybe some of the people in Mexico were not just dying from the flu but complications from other sources mixed with it.

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

~~UPDATE~~

From Orlandosentinel.com

Health officials: Girl, 14, vacationing in Orlando tested positive for swine flu

By Bianca Prieto
    Sentinel Staff Writer

2:53 PM EDT, May 3, 2009

Florida health department officials this morning confirmed the first, and so far only, case of swine flu in Central Florida.

A 14-year-old girl who traveled to Orlando from Mexico was confirmed to have contracted the virus, said Mirna Chamorro, health department spokeswoman.

The girl traveled with her family to vacation in Orlando. She did not visit any of the Disney properties; however, members of her group did. Health officials would not release information about the places she visited or which hotel she stayed in. {{ TT5's Note: An earlier Sentinel report stated that she and her party had stayed at an undisclosed hotel NOT on Disney property.}}

Chamorro said there are no other potential swine flu cases in Central Florida.

"She was medicated early and isolated early," Chamorro said. The girl has since recovered and returned to Mexico.

~~~~~
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    I wasn't saying that the two were the same thing. I just meant that the discussion was about so many people having TB in Mexico and that if they did get sick with this virus, the TB probably complicated things and made it worse. But it is a fact that TB is being brought across the border and we don't get TB innoculations or tests as much any more in this country like we used to unless we are going out of the country. It is a possibility that it will be spread again in this country from Mexico if we don't step up our innoculations again for it and start being diligent. Sorry to be off topic but the discussion I heard was in connection to the Swine Flu and that maybe some of the people in Mexico were not just dying from the flu but complications from other sources mixed with it.
    I have not read about any tuberculosis deaths related to complications from the swine flu in Mexico, but I can imagine it's not out of the question. From what I have always understood, the current TB vaccination is not very effective against the chronic form of TB that accounts for most of the adults cases, which is why it is not administered to the public as a whole.

Anyway, if we're lucky the swine flu will subside over the summer and they will be able to develop a vaccination to help fend it off, should it re-occur in the fall.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FriendsofMickey View Post
    I moved this from a thread that I had started, because I see that it is related to this thread.
    I have not read most of the threads so I will post this and then try to find the time to read the 6 pages of response to the original thread, but I will still post my original question here.
    Thanks.
    Can someone educate me on the swine flu? Why is it causing the panic that is causing?
    I have read a few articles, but the only thing I have gotten from them is:
    1. We have not seen this strain in years.
    2. Mexico has had a lot of deaths from it.

I have no idea the health status of the people that died from it though. Were they healthy individuals? If so, that would explain it, because most healthy individuals do not die from other strains. However, from what I have read I haven't seen any talk of this. (Maybe I am reading the wrong articles).

Now as for Virus itself. Is it stronger than most strains? Is that why the panic?

I really just want to know as much as possible (my dh has traveled to Houston and Philly in the past two weeks. Houston having the first death in the US and Philly being the first case of the flu in PA). So, it is playing on my mind, I would like to understand what makes it worse than any other flu virus.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

According to the CDC, there have been no cases of Swine Flu in Pennsylvania so far. My boyfriend has also heard the rumor that there is a case of the flu in Philly, but the CDC website says otherwise. Just to let you know.

BTW, there is no way in hell I'm canceling my dream trip to Disney for this flu, unless people start dying left and right. This doesn't seem like it will be the case, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I love pork (the other white meat). I'm hoping that because many people think this flu is somehow related to eating pork, the price will come down and I'll be able to have a pig roast this summer just for fun.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Report this morning was that someone who worked on a Pig Farm in Canada came back from a trip to Mexico and either had the flu or was exposed to it and actually spread the virus to the pigs on the farm. They said they had never heard of a human to animal transfer before or vice versa. Now whether this is true or not, it was in the national news. Just how would a human spread it to a pig? Sneeze on it? Guess we won't be getting shipments of pork from Canada any time soon.

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can't catch it from eating pork products.

The pigs probably had the swine flu at some point or other. I think it is common for pig farmers to already have the antibodies.

He probably didn't "give" it to the pigs. IDK...I would wait for more info on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

So is Sneezy allowed out in the Parks for Character meets because of the Swine Flu?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a report where there is a farm that has been taken over by the pigs. The pigs claim that they will never walk on their hind legs, but I'm not sure I believe them.
    Jeff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: