Quantcast Voices of Liberty--Ick! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I sung in choir in high school, did musical theatre for over 15 years, have played piano and guitar. I like Voices. Have there been better groups? Yes. But for crying out loud! Stop looking for things to critique and just settle back and enjoy. I just simply love music, and so long as it doesn't make my ears bleed (like AI), I'm content.

It's Disney, folks. Stop griping and just enjoy.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Voices of Liberty are great! (IMHO) Since we finally heard them, they are a can't miss for me!

Oh, by the way, count me as another vote for wishing 4 for a Dollar would be brought back! They were my favorites!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamFinder2 View Post
    Having said that, the VoL are the only reason we ever go into the AA pavillion, since we think the attraction itself is boring
    Seriously?! I'm not a jingoist, but AA gives me chills, especially the Civil War part of the show. I like VoL b/c it distracts my fellow guests so I can get closer to the theater entrance and get my aisle seat

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGlutton View Post
    Seriously?! I'm not a jingoist, but AA gives me chills, especially the Civil War part of the show. I like VoL b/c it distracts my fellow guests so I can get closer to the theater entrance and get my aisle seat
    I know, I know...I'm just not much of a history buff, so it kind of turns me off. The show is well done, to be sure. To each his/her own, I guess.
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    Oh, by the way, count me as another vote for wishing 4 for a Dollar would be brought back! They were my favorites!
    I'm with you on this one, too. I really enjoyed those 15 minutes before Beauty and the Beast - fun and entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

I love VoL, as well as the AA pavilion.

Going slightly off topic: when we were there this past October, we were watching and listening to VoL. The lady who is the leader/coordinator/whatever of the group asked us to applaud the members of our armed forces.

Well, some of the people watching and listening actually found it necessary to start booing at this point--I was flabbergasted, but VoL handled it well. They immediately started singing "God Bless America," and the cheering and clapping drowned out the booing.
    1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vol

I think VOL has certainly gotten more scoopy-poppy over the years.

My wife and I attended our 3rd or 4th Candlelight Processional last year. I couldn't quite express why the music style didn't ding me. Then my wife summed it up: "It's very Lawrence Welk-ee".

But I'm not really sure VOL should be "serious". I don't think people go to WDW to listen to concert hall music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJ911 View Post
    This might be just me, but the Voices of Liberty at the American Adventure pavillion completely annoy me. Note that I am a musician/singer and appreciate close harmonies as much as the next person, and have done a lot of choral singing over the years, so I know some of what I'm talking about. Everything the VoL sing, they put a "pop" spin on. Every note--especially in the higher voices--gets the "swoop" treatment and ends up sounding so saccharine it makes my teeth hurt. We were just there last week and listened to them (couldn't avoid it), and they sang what could have been a nice arrangement of one of my favorite songs of all time--"Shennandoah." But they butchered it. Cripes, people--you're technically very good! Just sing the darn songs straight!
    At least you admitted that they are technically very good. DS was a musician for Disney and they had several weeks of rehearsal with Disney before they were allowed out in the parks. Disney wants a certain "way" of singing (or in his case, playing). You might hear the VOL put a very different slant on things in a different venue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    Ok, Have we all become Simon Cowells? Gosh people, if you don't like it don't go. There are millions of people that enjoy the Voices of Liberty like myself. I enjoy them doing songs for the Christmas season also. They are just singers. If you want to be a judge, they have that American Idol Wanabee garbage over at DHS. Talk about ick...
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

It's just you.

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Warning--

I just want to remind everyone that people should certainly be able to post about what they dislike at Disney World, as well as what they like, without being criticized by others. As is demonstrated by several posts in this thread, the OP is not alone in their opinion. So whether you agree or disagree, please do so in a way that is respectful to your fellow INTERCOT members.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are terrific. I understand what you're saying about scooping, and the saccharine sound, but really...where are you? Disney is all about saccharine...
    from MNNHFLTX Sorry they struck a bad chord with you (no pun intended).
    Suuuuuurrrre...likely story...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love em

Loved Voices of Liberty. Wish I had bought theor CD. Maybe next trip in December.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been coming to Intercot for years. Never once have I seen a post that was critical of Voices.

I respect your right to an opinion.

As a way of qualifying my opinion, let me just say I am not just a musician, I am a professional musical who has earned his living being a choral director all my life. I have three degrees in Music from major Universities.

The Voices of Liberty are among the finest choral groups in America, period.

You may disagree with the style - I can understand that - but as far as their execution, it is flawless. They are a reflection of ONE MAN - Derric Johnson. The way The Voices of Liberty sound is totally shaped by the vocal philosophy of this one man. Voices produce his signature sound, a sound he has been famous for for many years. He is a premier vocal arranger, director, stylist, technician.

MILLIONS are delighted every year by the thrilling sound of this spectacular group. Out of the millions who are delighted, it only stands to reason that there will be a few who take exception to the sounds that Voices make.

I am TRULY sorry you find Voices to be annoying. I can name any of a dozen MUCH more annoying styles of music that are out there - some that actually make me ill.

The sounds that Voices make never fails to thrill me to the very core of my being.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We've never heard them sing, but after reading all the praise here, we're definitely going to have to make a point to catch them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Voices of Liberty

Off Kilter
    I agree! as punishment for all the Simon Cowell's of the world; you will have to listen to me sing for one song. Guaranteed to bring tears (not of joy) to your eyes.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
    Going slightly off topic: when we were there this past October, we were watching and listening to VoL. The lady who is the leader/coordinator/whatever of the group asked us to applaud the members of our armed forces.

Well, some of the people watching and listening actually found it necessary to start booing at this point--I was flabbergasted, but VoL handled it well. They immediately started singing "God Bless America," and the cheering and clapping drowned out the booing.
    The behavior of some people in these situations is downright pathetic. I'm gad the VOL handled it tactfully...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    The Voices of Liberty are among the finest choral groups in America, period.

Like many others on here, I *love* VoL, and I too am a musician (in my case, I'm choral singer and I'm also being classically trained as an opera singer) Yes, there are a few scoops that wouldn't have been used in traditional arrangements, but they aren't playing to a traditional audience either.

They're playing to a bunch of people in a theme park, most of whom would probably not be popping "Shenandoah" or "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" into their CD players at home. They're there to entertain a crowd of people who are most likely hot and tired, waiting for the show to begin, people from around the USA, and the world, many of whom probably prefer hip hop and rap to choral music. The music has to hold the attention of the crowd without losing the authenticity and historic feel that makes it traditional American folk music- and that's what Derric Johnson's arrangements do; it updates the music- utilizing beautiful harmonies, excellent dynamics and, yes, the occasional scoop that makes every classically trained musician's brain backfire- so that it touches the hearts of the sweaty, impatient theme park crowd and brings that music and the history that makes it so uniquely American just a little bit closer to them... And I think it's wonderful.
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    I am another vote for 4 for a Dollar. I enjoyed them so much...even as much as the B&B show. I'm so upset they're are no longer there.

That being said, I also come from a music background and have only seen VoL one time but thought they did a very good job.
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I loved listening to the VOL singers several years ago, but the next trip was a disappointment. They embellished some of their songs, and I drifted away at that point.

I'm a purist when it comes to music. I like to hear the song the way it was written, thank you very much. This habit of adding extra notes so the young ones will stay to listen, is most irritating.

What's next? Beethoven's 5th - dah-dah-dah-dahhhhh - beep boop dah boop, bop?
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    What's next? Beethoven's 5th - dah-dah-dah-dahhhhh - beep boop dah boop, bop?
    Didn't someone do a disco version of that in the seventies?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: