Quantcast Disney Cruise vs. Parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Cruise vs. Parks

Well, my family and I live in Indiana, but make it to FL about every 2 years. My kids are 12,8, and 3 and we are planning our next trip in 2010. We thought we'd try something different and do a Disney Cruise. The thing is for the money we could have am amazing trip to disney and stay in the finest hotels. I wanted to get some opinions on what everyone thought. Keep in mind the family wants to do a couple days at a beach and we are driving so we can go anywhere. Any insights are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Our take is the money seems higher for the cruise, but it includes all you can eat food, entertainment, water fun, and seeing different parts of the world. The cabins are nice and much more comfortable than the value resorts we stay in at the World.

Biggest difference to us is that WDW we plan it out completely and are exhausted from all the walking/running around. On a Disney cruise, you feel much more pampered, relaxed, no strong push for a schedule/agenda.

Not sure when you plan to go, but aim for a time when the rates are the best (usually when kids are in school). That is when you won't see the biggest difference.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

we did royal caribbean out of port canaveral for 600.00 for three of us for a 4 day cruise! and then spent 4 days at disney afterwards so that may be a thought! you can do both that way instead of putting all your eggs in one basket!
    WDW79, DL 81,82,83,91, WDW "2006 on site WDW "2007" off site WDW "2008" cruise 4days WDW "2008" off site 7days, "2009" off site 7 full days 7/21 to 7/29 "whos counting"

Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback. We haven't decided on a date yet. We pulled our kids out of school last time and it didn't help. Seems there is always a break somewhere in the world. It's tough to decide. We could stay at the Polonisian (sp) Resort and have the food plan and spend 4 nights and go to a beach, but the cruise we just hear is totally awesome. WE've been on Carnival, etc. and it's not very kid friendly and is not really an option. If we do a cruise it will be Disney. I like what you said about relaxing and not so crazy compared to the parks you feel you have to run run run to get full value. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if everyone thinks it's worth it or not... but we're going on our third cruise on the Magic this summer (our 1st cruise? Three years ago. Yeah, we like it).

The cruise is expensive - not question. but it's a very different experience than WDW. Our kids (5, 8, and 11) love it, and spend a lot of time in their kids clubs... which means DW & I get to spend a lot of quality time together. The food is great (I hear other cruises are better, but I've certainly not been unhappy), and the shows are great for the whole family. The spa is wonderful, the pools are nice, 1st run Disney movies (now in 3D), etc. There is something to do just about every hour of every day... yet I don't feel the same pressure as at WDW. It's cleaner, it's less crowded, etc.

For a family of five, trying to cut costs, two adjoining Category 2 rooms (down on deck 2) work very well. Significantly more room than a "pricer" room that will hold the whole family, and lower in the ship if you're worried about the motion. We also found in that age group (against our expectations) that the late seating at dinner was better. That way we saw the first show (when the kids were awake for it) and could then romp off to dinner with hungary (but not starving) kids and wind down for the day.

I had to be seriously talked into my first cruise by my DW... actually, I very nearly had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the planning. We booked our 2nd cruise while on-board the first .

--
    Brian "YMMV" Davis

Post Thanks / Like

Definately two different experiences. I had planned a full, seven days at WDW in 2005 when my husband completely bailed on it. He is not big into Disney or any amusement parks. He said he just couldn't do it.

I was and , but I looked into DCL. I booked us on the Wonder for four days. DH still wasn't thrilled, but complied. He loved it! Our mistake was that we did the cruise and then went to WDW for a couple of days. We were so pampered on the cruise that the parks made us go . "Why isn't everyone waiting on us hand and foot". "Lines? Paying for food? Huh?" LOL.

The cruise was fabulous. It was probably the best family vacation we have had, IMO. DH would probably do it again if I pushed hard enough. He is a "been there, done that" type of guy, though.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are making me feel much better about this! I think we might go for it! None of us has been on a Disney cruise so it will all be new and we can still do sevearal days in the parks. We might be going with family so we will have 7 total which might work for 2 rooms connected below. Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

We loved the cruise. I would never go for fewer than 7 days, though. The parks and the cruise are two totally different experiences, both amazing. I would recommend the Disney cruise for anyone with kids.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I have done both Full time in the parks, full time on the cruise and a spit 3/4 days and I loved all of it. They are completely different though.
    IN the parks it is very much Disney Magic 24/7, on the cruise, though it is Disney, it is possible ( and usually just happens) that you step away from the magic and enter a more relaxing/pampering world (islands, beaches, excursions, spas) and then come back to a sort-of Disney magic on the ship. The biggest difference I see on the cruise-line is that families can be together all the time, but don't HAVE to be together. You have a diverse range of ages there and each one can do something with each other or by themselves (well kind of). Adults also seem to have more alone time capable on the ships and with it begin (mostly) all inclusive, the stress and hassle of balancing a budget (as in a WDW trip) can be lessened.

Be warned though. While there are definite Disney touches, events, food and characters to be had on the DCLs, it is still not as 100% Disney as a WDW or DL vacation. It is an Out-To-Sea version of Disney Magic. Just be aware of this as I have heard some people not enjoying as much because they thought it lacked a certain Disney feel. Personally I never noticed this. Just be aware it is less about excitement and adventure (though that can be had there) and more about entertainment and and relaxation that a WDW/DL vacation.

Either way have fun, try the Midnight Chocolate Buffet and the On-Deck dance parties and if it's available take a cooking/wine class too (just for adults).
    Also I recommend using the spa, even just for the shower/morning package. If you have any questions, drop me a msg.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I"ll have questions as we get closer - awesome info and being I am up until midnight anyways I'll be checking that out.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: