Quantcast Disney World OR Disneyland

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney World OR Disneyland

We are planning our next vacation and I am wondering whether Disney World or Disneyland is better? Is there a big difference? How about price difference? We have taken 2 trips to Disney World in the past 2 years and we LOVE it!!!!! Should we bother trying Disneyland?
    PrincessJadesMom
    January 1985-Off site
    April 2006-All Star Movies
    September 2007-Pop Century
    October 2010-Pop Century
    January 2012-Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruise
    February 2012-All Star Movies
    October 2013-All Star Movies
    October 2014-Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you should try DL.

DL is a similar park to the MK, but lots of things are different. The castle, PotC, and Space Mountain are a few of the differences. DL also still has Mr. Toad, as well as an Alice in Wonderland ride and a much bigger IASW.

They're currently working on making DCA a much better park. Currently, you can find many attractions that are in the other three WDW parks with a sprinkling of original attractions. This is the original home of Soarin', and California Screamin' is a good coaster.

The two resorts are similar but different experiences. We took a trip to DL and spent a couple of days doing other things also, such as Universal Studios, the San Diego Zoo and Sea World.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you should go to DL....even though we prefer WDW we have had some really fun times at DL. We love Mr. Toad as well as Alice and Pirates is longer....both times I have gone small world was closed....my daughters have gone other times when small world was open and love it...DCA is really neat and California Screamin' is a must do.

One of our favorite places to eat is Blue Bayou...yummy and Steakhouse 55 (at the Disneyland Hotel) is simply wonderful. It is upscale but somebody tipped us to the idea of having breakfast there....my husband got steak and eggs and it is the best steak he has ever had. Though it was pricey we had a terrific time and terrific service. We were surprised at how many families were there because I would have thought most people would prefer a character breakfast. We would have gone back for dinner...but did not have enough time to fit it in.

We have taken side trips to Las Vegas and drove up to Carmel and San Fran....Next time we go to DL we plan on heading down to San Diego.

Post Thanks / Like

From someone who has been to both, do wdw unless you are planning on visiting other areas of southern California. DL just wasn't as good as wdw. There isn't near as much to do, and I think you have a hard time making an entire vacation at DL.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '04 Dolphin / Grand Floridan
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '12 Wilderness Lodge (January/February)
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to visit Dinseyland someday, but I'd like to combine it with other things in Cali that I'd like to see.

Someday!!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer DW to DL. However, if you haven't been there I would give it a try. It is a lot of fun too.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Tough question! We've been to both multiple times (going to DL this week!). I think they are a lot different experiences. If you only want to have a Disney experience, I would suggest WDW as you can easily spend a week or more there. It would be tough (IMHO) to stay a week at DL only - I'm comfortable with the 3 days we are going to spend there.

DL does give you the luxury to spend time in an environment that is not theme park - and the weather is nicer in the summer.
    Everybody's got a laughing place - trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't been to Disneyland, then I say go there.
    I prefer WDW myself, but it was definately worth the trip out to California to see DL.

I really think you need to see it at least once.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

We all like DL better. It is smaller and easier to navigate. Also, the Fantasy Land is much better. But we do like wdw.
    Sarah
    Premium AP DLR
    DL - Too many to count
    DLR- Oct 09 Trick or Treat
    WDW - June 2006 offsite
    WDW - June 2009 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

They are very similar AND they are very different! We've been to Disneyland twice now and I would certainly visit again. It is a different experience and you should not try to compare the two places. Either location would make a wonderful trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

faline hit the nail on the head. They are different places, different experiences...

It is sometimes a "hot topic" here on Intercot when comparing the two places. Some of the Disneyland enthusiasts, are, shall we say, quite fervent for the place!

Personally, I enjoy the Disneyland resort for day trips, not as a "destination." WDW is a "destination" for my family. We are lucky that during the summer months, we're close enough to DL to drive there for day trips.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to DL in 17 days for the second time. I LOVE it there, and it's easy to do in the 3 and 1/2 days we have. I don't have to get on a single bus, and we're there by air in a little under an hour.

Our first trip was wonderful, but before we left, I was treating it like....."I guess it's better than nothing". We had a great time, and I'm really looking forward to going back.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to Disney World more times than I can put in my signature...I went to Disneyland once and because of my trips to WDW....HATED IT! It just didn't have the same Disney magic for me.... to each their own, just my opinion....
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, not someplace you can stay for more than 3-4 days. However, I would say it is totally worth seeing. If there wasn't a DL there wouldn't be a WDW, right?

DL does have its' perks, namely the easy access to DCA. My sister and I have had fast passes in the other park and could easily pop back and forth. Want to ride ToT? No problem! Then have a hankering for a little Splash Mountain? Go for it! I LOVE this aspect of DL.

One of my other favorite things about DL:
    Free tortillas! Head to the Mission Tortilla factory in DCA. Watch a short film (Maseca!) and then walk through the factory. Your reward: a hot flour tortilla.

I'm heading to WDW in a little over a month and frankly, I'm going to miss some of DL's versions (PoTC, Space Mountain) and some of their orignal rides like Matterhorn and Monsters Inc.

The only thing that WDW has over DL, in my opinion, is the total immersion experience. Once you're in MK or DCA you're cut off from the real world. But walk outside the gates and it's a different story--six lane streets surround the complex on all sides!

My advice, if you're looking for a good hotel: Candy Cane Inn. I've stayed there both times. They have a continental breakfast and it is extremely convenient to parks. It's an easy 10 minute walk. (They also have a shuttle if you so choose, but I found it unnecessary).

Happy planning!
    Port Orleans Riverside May 09
    World Quest April 09
    Disneyland 6.08
    Pop Century 1.06
    Disneyland 11.05
    Wilderness Lodge 8.03
    Polynesian 11.02
    Coronado Springs / Polynesian 1.98
    Polynesian 11.95
    Polynesian 11.92
    Caribbean Beach 1989
    Disney Inn 1986
    Polynesian 1985
    Polynesian 1982

Post Thanks / Like

While I have only been to WDW so far, I really do want to see the place that started it all! I know that the two do not compare in a bunch of ways and that I would not being going there for the same lenght of time I would stay at WDW, but I would love to discover the differences and charms of each.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

We went to DL a few years ago during our 2 week west coast trip. I loved it (went there a lot as a kid). We were there for 5 days; but 1 day we spent at Knotts Berry Farm. I would go again.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up near DL so it will always have a place in my heart. I like both WDW and DL. DL and DCA will have rides that WDW does not (and, of course, vice versa), and just because both have them doesn't mean they are the same. ToT is not exactly the same, neither is POTC or Space Mountain (DL's version of SM is by far and away better!). I'd definitely go to DL (and check out some other SoCal attractions, too - Lego Land and Sea World (in San Diego) are fun (and San Diego is my favorite CA city). Just be prepared for how small the castle seems!
    Jambo everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some of the previous posters that if you have other places to visit in Southern California, then do Disneyland. In comparision to WDW it's pretty small - basically if you were just going to Magic Kingdom. There is also another park right next door called Disney's California Adventure which IMO is a one day park. When my family and I visit WDW we spend multiple days at Epcot and Magic Kingdom and usually do one day each at HS and AK.
    See You Real Soon!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: