Quantcast WDW Deluxe Resort Satisfaction Survey! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with your last stay at a WDW Deluxe Resort?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I was satisfied with my stay.

126 80.77%
  • No, I was dissatisfied with my stay.

13 8.33%
  • I have not stayed at a WDW Deluxe Resort.

17 10.90%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Mmmm ... see, I don't really agree. Bad training is not the root cause of the problem. Bad training is just a symptom.

I have my own theories on why service is so inconsistent and not on par with Disney standards, but they are just theories. They're based on facts I've gathered from reading, research, speaking with cast, yes ... but at the end of the day they are just my own opinions.

With that appropriate disclosure out of the way ...
    1. WDW is just too darn big. The need for bodies is so ridiculous that they honestly have to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to meet basic staffing needs. Couple that with the WDWCP and the inevitable bad apples that come along with it and you've got the makings of a sub-par cast.
    2. There's far too little central control. I honestly think they believe this is a good thing but it isn't, because it leads directly to the kinds of inconsistencies I'm talking about. Each resort, park, shop, etc. operates like it's own little entity with its own management making their own decisions. Since it basically just comes down to how each location does in terms of P&L, some people just don't care enough to worry about things like guest satisifaction. They know as long as they're making money their jobs are secure.
    3. Very, very, very poor leadership. Disney is an incredibly political organization. Because of the depth and breadth of the company, there is a fair amount of opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately, management is incented to focus almost exclusively on the bottom line as their means for getting ahead. In addition, because of the political nature of the organization, managers often spend more time kissing ... err ... networking than they do performing their actual jobs.
    4. Decades of systematic abuse by their guests. I know this sounds ridiculous, but there was a time (not all that long ago) when a segment of society went by the notion that, "If you complain at Disney World you can get anything you ask for!" As is often the case, that small group of greedy individuals ruined it for everyone else. Disney now has a moderately adversarial relationship with their guests. They're looked upon more as sheep to be herded from point-to-point with as minimal fuss and interaction as possible.
    5. The typical short-sightedness that permeates American corporations today. All they care about is the current stock price. Long range planning is non-existent. Really what I'm getting at here is ... they're making plenty of money doing it the way they're doing it and until that changes they have zero incentive to change.

I can see your point. It is almost like they want to fight you on giving you what you want,even when you are willing to pay for it.
    That is the height of poor customer service.
    I like your theories, but I do wish there was a way to get them to change- going back to making things correct and making the guests happy.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post
    About that, I feel I need to underline the fact that I DID complain (hence the 'downgrade'), and I DID ask the manager for a partial refund.

I did say that I was not satisfied with the solution they gave me.

But after that... No, I did not insist...
    Again, I hate to see someone disapointed, especially someone like yourself- who traveled very far to celebrate something important. Sorry if I misconstrued your original post about who you complained to- my only point was they should have made it right- not sent you away feeling frustrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    Again, I hate to see someone disapointed, especially someone like yourself- who traveled very far to celebrate something important. Sorry if I misconstrued your original post about who you complained to- my only point was they should have made it right- not sent you away feeling frustrated.
    No need to apologize !
    I think I needed to vent, now I'll leave the soapbox alone. I still had a great time, mostly thanks to the staff at PortOrleans Riverside (my second resort on this trip) which more than made up for my disappointment.

The most memorable birthday in my whole life !
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Ian, you've jacked my thread here. And we know you have a special deference to Original Posters, so please stop electioneering at the polling place.
    I haven't "jacked your thread" nor am I "electioneering."

I'm merely pointing out the obvious, which is that this survey and any attempt to use it to prove any type of conclusion is absurd.

This is roughly akin to walking into a McDonald's and asking the people eating there if they like McDonald's food and then turning around and using the results to say, "98% of people surveyed like McDonald's food."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is roughly akin to walking into a McDonald's and asking the people eating there if they like McDonald's food and then turning around and using the results to say, "98% of people surveyed like McDonald's food."
    Actually it's more like asking them if they think the quarter pounder with cheese is worth the money, since they can always get a big mac or a cheeseburger.

Just because you're a Disney fan doesn't mean you have to think the deluxes are worth the money...poor analogy.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

My best trip ever to Disney was 03 we when stayed at the Contemporary. Amazing, and it was before the rehab. If you can fit it in your budget it is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Just because you're a Disney fan doesn't mean you have to think the deluxes are worth the money...poor analogy.
    BZZZZZ! Wrong. Thank you for playing.

First off, the question does not ask if deluxes are worth the money. It asks if they're satisfactory.

Second, you're only polling Disney fans who have actually stayed in a deluxe resort and who are far more likely to find a stay in a deluxe satisfactory vs. an average Joe.

It's a terrific analogy and right on the money.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

BZZZZZ! Wrong. Thank you for playing.

First off, the question does not ask if deluxes are worth the money. It asks if they're satisfactory.

Second, you're only polling Disney fans who have actually stayed in a deluxe resort and who are far more likely to find a stay in a deluxe satisfactory vs. an average Joe.

It's a terrific analogy and right on the money.
    If you want to argue a point, argue it logically, as opposed to sarcastically. Obviously, part of the satisfaction has to do with the money paid and has to do with other choices, whether on property or not. You use comparisons to other choices and money paid when it suits your arguement. So, bzzz right back at you. Lousy analogy, try again.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Okay, sorry. That was not intended to be sarcastic. I was joking around.

But I don't really get what you're saying. I'm just not sure what you're actually debating? Are you saying you think this poll has statistical merit?
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I was satisfied with my last stay at the CR but if there hadn't been the monorail and Chef Mickeys to see every morning I don't think I would have been happy. We had a hard time getting mousekeeping to give us the right number of towels. We didn't get the "extra" service I thought we should have. So though I was "satisfied" I wasn't overjoyed. Since it seems to be our last Disney trip for a very long time, I'm glad we did it.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, sorry. That was not intended to be sarcastic. I was joking around.
    It's all good.

But I don't really get what you're saying. I'm just not sure what you're actually debating? Are you saying you think this poll has statistical merit?
    Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it. Since it is a poll of Disney fans of their opinion of the deluxes, it has merit on that basis.

But.... it is my opinion that most polls mean absolutley nothing, except that it was worded in a way to solicit answers the company wants.

***The above comment is not directed at this poll or any other poll on Intercot, they are usually for fun and taken that way***

For instance...My silly poll

Post Thanks / Like

But...ahem....Satisfied is kickin' yer butt...

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, as I think on it, your satisfaction with the Disney deluxes and "did you get what you paid for" has to be in comparison with their moderate and value. If you compare any of the Disney resorts to outside sources you would be disappointed in the size and ammenities for the price you paid. You have to think about it in relation to all things Disney. With that in mind, here is how I feel:

Values: Small in comparison to what you could get for the money outside of Disney. Some Kissimmee resorts have very nice accomodations for this price. With that said, the values are way better than the same size room for less. At least you can sleep in peace and safety.

Moderate: A small step up and for the money okay. Again, you can have the same size room or bigger off site with nice ammenities but without the Disney "magic"

Deluxe: A giant leap in price difference. Not necessarily a better vacation.
    In 2002 we stayed at the WL for the first time. It was our first Deluxe experience and we have compared our Deluxe stays since that time to this first trip. 2003 was the Poly. It was beautiful in its own right but the service was disappointing. 2006, back to WL. Terrible service, mean staff, mean/rude people at the front desk, our courtyard view looked suspiciously like woods to me, not sure where the courtyard was, were disappointed we had to split our stay and go to the Pop for the end of our week but had much better service at the Pop and actually enjoyed that part of the trip more! 2008, CR. Mousekeeping was terrible. No coffee refills in the room, no towel creatures, they couldn't figure out that 5 people couldn't use two towels even when I left a note asking for 5 towels. The saving grace was an upgrade to the tower and overlooking Chef Mickeys and the monorail.

So is the deluxe worth it? It depends on the week and the staff. It has become an unpredictable gamble. I would rather stay at value and have the extra money to buy the overpriced, cheaply made souvenirs!

They can call all of the downsizing and snipping "extras" necessary in the current economy if they want, but their service has steadily gone downhill since 2002. During this time, Disney World has had record attendance. The downturn in the economy just gives them more excuses to cut more magic and blame everything on the current situation instead of on pacifying their share holders with bigger and bigger profits.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

like always "you get what you pay for". I pay a lot and have always been satisfied, sometimes the little things like towels just don't matter.you've got to look at the big picture, and it's usually worth every penny.
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

I voted 'satisfied' and have stayed at WL and Poly several times. Going back to WL late this month after taking last year off. We like the deluxe resorts for theming and location, but that's what you are paying for. The service is decent at best if you are comparing to a $200-$300/night room outside the world.

My biggest pet peeve is long lines at check in. Becuase they do the whole ticket thing at check-in, I've had years where I've spent over a half hour in line to check into a deluxe hotel. Absolutely inexcusible and a sets a poor tone for the trip. I just don't feel like I'm really on vacation until we are checked in. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, but they just don't have a good process when a bunch of people all come at once.

I travel all the time on business, and I've never waited more than 5 minutes to check in (even at lower end properties like residense inn, fairfields, etc.)

Our first year as a family to WDW we stayed at POR, and check in took about an hour. I had not been to WDW since I was a kid and we thought we had made a big mistake. The rest of the trip was great and we've been back many times.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose satisfied - but I agree with the sentiment of many who posted before me. The poll's structure limits the value of it's results.

I travel quite a bit and probably stay at upwards of 30 hotels a year. Those hotels are not all deluxes.

I think of a couple of ways of measuring my stays at hotels:

value - Was the price I paid fair for the combination of services, quality of accommodations, convenience, and location of the hotel.

quality of lodgings - What was the class of service and quality of accommodations irrespective of price.

My last stay at a deluxe was the Boardwalk a few years ago. At the time, I was quite satisfied with the hotel as it represented a good value to me. I was however, not as impressed with the quality of the hotel as I would have liked.

The key things that impacted the quality were:
    - there was noticeable wear and tear in the room. It just didn't have the "first class" feeling I'd expect in a deluxe hotel.

- there was a noticeable odor in the room. It wasn't bad enough that I wanted to switch rooms, but it did smell a bit musty.

- service - the staff was friendly enough, but they just didn't seem to go beyond expectations.

- transportation - perhaps this is a bit off topic, but we felt bus transporation to the hotel was not what I'd expect in a deluxe hotel If I'm staying at a deluxe hotel, I don't want to spend 30-45 minutes going to four other hotels.

As a DIsney "fan", I have high hopes for WDW and would LOVE to write nothing but rave reviews. However, as a frequent hotel guest, I think it is fair to "rate" a WDW hotel against other hotels labeled deluxe or luxury. If Disney did not want the comparisons, then they should not use the label. If I had to give WDW an overall grade, I'd put their hotels somewhere in the middle. Not the best, not the worst.
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

No complaints from me!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

As an adult:

First trip - The Poly about 5 years ago...I came directly from Universal's Royal Pacific. I enjoyed the Poly, but the Royal Pacific beat it badly as far as amenities, luxury etc. That said, I could see the fireworks from my balcony. Magic! Really enjoyed that trip even if the Poly didn't really stack up - but probably because I had just left the Royal Pacific.

2nd Trip - AKL - lovely hotel, but my hall/room smelled a little funky! And absolutely terrible location for the amount of money...I missed the Poly at that point.

3rd Trip - BC - OMIGOD the best most perfect trip ever. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

4th Trip - BC - OMIGOD. Swear to you, I was booked in there for 10 days and they stuck me above that tar roof. Didn't expect an upgrade...but to be given the worst possible room? Eventually got moved...but I felt like they were trying to punish me the whole time. The treatment wasn't great...talking to Disney is like talking to a brick wall.

5th trip - well I've been back to Universal a couple of times...taken in Sea World and Discovery Cove...but every time I contemplate shelling out a couple of grand for what I got at Disney last time...I am disheartened. I've thought about going back and doing a moderate so at least I don't feel like I'm just a wallet. Yeeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... I mean ... wow. I would have been irritated.

Of course, now is when the Disney apologists will trot in and tell you views aren't guaranteed, says so on your reservation, blah blah blah blah ... nevertheless, that's just horrible customer service and exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Could they solve the problem with your view? Ostensibly, no. No other rooms left in your category. Should they have offered to let you stay in the room and refund the additional you paid for Savannah view? Absolutely ... a Motel 6 would have done this.
    I understand that requests aren't guaranteed, but if you PAY for a Savannah View room, that's not a request, right? If they couldn't accommodate that view, they should have at least refunded the price difference.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

The only deluxe resort at WDW I stayed in are WL and AKL. I personally prefer CSR. Maybe it because CSR is on par with those 2 resorts (minus the views) for less money.
    I am planning on staying at the Poly in October for my wedding anniversary. So, I may have a different view of the deluxe resorts after I stay in a "real" deluxe resort at WDW. Oddly enough I do tend to stay in nicer hotels outside of WDW. Maybe it is because I feel safer at WDW and have never felt the need to pay for a better location or nicer accomodations inside the "WORLD"like I do in the "real" world.
    BTW_I didnot vote my last deluxe stay was at in a 2BR villa at OKW last year and I am not quite sure it counts.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: