Quantcast Tatoos bad? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tatoos bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I have to disagree (in these parts anyhow and aside from being covered from head to toe)Every soccer mom from here to there has at least one tat. Frankly they are so mainstream, I am rather embarrassed by mine. I got mine to be a rebel gosh darn it!
    Well, we're not talking about one, small, tasteful, well-concealed tattoo here. We're talking about being inked up with multiple visible tats. I'll concede the point that it's not all that uncommon these days to find people you wouldn't normally think are inked sporting a tat, but I highly doubt there are a lot of soccer Moms out there (at least none I know) with "Magic Kingdom" tattooed across the backs of their hands.

Besides, not to point out the obvious or anything, but by definition a soccer Mom is a SAHM and, therefore, not concerned about how she appears in the business world.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Lately, I've begun to feel like a freak for NOT having a tattoo. It does seem like everyone and their mother has one these days. But, if I were to get one, it would definitely have to be something extremely meaningful. Something that I would be happy with for a lifetime, and not just the name of the tv show that I like this week. It's my skin. It's my body. It's with me for as long as I live. Not a scrap of paper to doodle on and then toss in the trash. Get a tattoo and it's permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I highly doubt there are a lot of soccer Moms out there (at least none I know) with "Magic Kingdom" tattooed across the backs of their hands..
    Yep... I agree... We get things like "Baby eater" and the like

Besides, not to point out the obvious or anything, but by definition a soccer Mom is a SAHM and, therefore, not concerned about how she appears in the business world.
    Not to point out the obvious, but SAHM is not part of the definition (at least according to Miriam Webster)... but Suburban mother is. I imagine many Suburban mothers are also part of the business world.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Okay...I said banker, not teller number one and I said that was me personally. That's just the way I am. It is my one quirk, I can't stand visible tattooes. I don't know why, it the only thing that I have a "thing" about. Guys with long hair, motorcycles, dreadlocks, skin color......doesn't matter, but visible tattooes ....
    But that is me.....and yes, you may feel that is judgemental, but it is a quirk of mine. Just like some people can't stand redheads, think southerners are stupid, hate Germans because of the German history, etc.....everyone has their quirks and that's one of mine.

And that's fine to have quirks, everyone does.

Personally, I can't stand yuppies. But that doesn't mean I'd pass one over if he were providing a service for me.

Think what you want of me....I really could care less, just wanted to clarify my position.
    Whoa...slow your roll. I'm not judging you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    Get a tattoo and it's permanent.
    I actually joke with my husband to think of it as having a permanent scar by which one can be identified
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Not to point out the obvious, but SAHM is not part of the definition (at least according to Miriam Webster)... but Suburban mother is. I imagine many Suburban mothers are also part of the business world.
    Huh ... you're correct. That was, evidently, a bad assumption on my part.

Mea culpa!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree (in these parts anyhow and aside from being covered from head to toe)Every soccer mom from here to there has at least one tat. Frankly they are so mainstream, I am rather embarrassed by mine. I got mine to be a rebel gosh darn it!
    Uhhh...I have to disagree a little on this one. I qualify as a "Soccer Mom" as do many of my friends and I can assure you that not every SM has a tattoo...At least in my group of 15 mom's there isn't a single one.

Do I object to tattoos...absolutely not. Will I ever get one...absolutely not...that's just a personal opinion. But I have to agree with others...visible tattoos don't scream 'professional' to ME.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d_m_n_n View Post
    But I have to agree with others...visible tattoos don't scream 'professional' to ME.
    Unless you're a professional musician.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Catch up ... I already had to mea culpa for that one!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    As a person that interviews prospective employees, having a tattoo doesn't necessarily rule out employment ... however...

If you intend to have a client-facing job in your lifetime, consider the image that you give off with visible tattoos, regardless of content. I will not hire people without a professional appearance for any sort of client-facing position. The first thing that is noticed about you should NEVER be body art -- how sad that some people will never get to know you as a person, employee or whatever because of a decision you made in your youth.
    I agree with this completely. I like tattoos (I have one & DH has many). All of ours have special meaning and are not visible. I have served on many hiring committees and although I personally try not to judge people based on tattoos, but I know the 80 year old grandma who may be one of our clients might feel differently about people with tattoos so I have to consider how a perspective employee would represent the company. For that reason I have to say that visible tattoos are unprofessional. I would really caution someone against getting a tattoo on their hand because you never know how that may hinder you in the future.

Of course you can do what you like and although I don't think you are a bad girl for having those tattoos I might think you are impulsive or that you lack good judgement. Not because you have tattoos, but because your tattoos seem really trendy to me. Sorry, just my

Not to state the obvious, but there is a segment of society that isn't the largest fan of the Germans ...
    That's ridiculous. Of course you don't want to get a swastika, but I see no reason to not be proud of your German heritage. German does not equal Nazi.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Unless you're a professional musician.
    OK...I will give you that one!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Just one thought. When you get to be my age, (65), and gravity kicks in, that "chain around your neck", will turn into a rope.

I'd love to see someone forty years later, and see exactly where the eagle landed.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    Just one thought. When you get to be my age, (65), and gravity kicks in, that "chain around your neck", will turn into a rope.

I'd love to see someone forty years later, and see exactly where the eagle landed.

That is the exact reason that I and my sister's do not like tattoos! My Dad had several, being in the service, every time you crossed the int. date line or the equator, I forget which, you got a tattoo. Well when he was an old man, (like in his 50's ) they looked like blobs and were stretched out, misshapen and ugly!!! Hence my feelings of no tattoo's.
    I have always told my kids that until they pay me back for the cost of giving birth to them, their body is MINE and it can not be defaced or graffitied!
    Again, my personal feelings!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    That's ridiculous. Of course you don't want to get a swastika, but I see no reason to not be proud of your German heritage. German does not equal Nazi.
    I didn't say German = Nazi. What I said was, correctly, that there is a segment of the population that does not have a positive opinion of Germans.

Right, wrong, or indifferent that's a fact.

It's not about reality, it's about people's perceptions of reality. As many people have pointed out already, having a tattoo doesn't make you a lesser banker or a lesser real estate agent or a lesser insurance rep. It just gives some people that perception.

In life, fair or not, perception is reality.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Do tats make you a bad girl? Uh...no.

Do visible tats make people see you differently? Heck yes.

Unfortunately we live in an extremely judgemental society. That whole first impression thing that people like to preach about; gets shattered with a sleeve tat in the professional world, and even at the grocery store. (and obviously at the bank )

I don't have any tats. I've just never had the urge. But, I don't let tats form my opinion of someone else either. Unfortunately, people like me, and others on this board, are the minority.

As far as the german tat goes: My German heritage is in my name. Maybe that's why people don't like me...
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Having tats does not make you 'a bad girl'.

Having visable tats-does make some things harder. Again getting jobs is the most obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    I have always told my kids that until they pay me back for the cost of giving birth to them, their body is MINE and it can not be defaced or graffitied!
    Again, my personal feelings!
    I disagree with you- but as it is your personal feeling, you have the right to feel as you want.
    I do hope that if your children grow up & decide to get a tatoo that it would not change your relationship with them.

Post Thanks / Like

what is going on on this thread??? i am a full time working single mother of 2,who is the very definition of soccer mom,i am VP of out local league as well as a competative soccer coach of u-10 girlsand i have 2 tats that are very visible,one on my chest which if i were to be completely honest,would have removed if i had time to do so,and one on my ankle that i love,it is a dolphin with a handdrawn water band that goes around the ankle with japanese water flowers,i don't think that i have ever been judged because of it,let your personality shine through!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Okay...I said banker, not teller number one and I said that was me personally. That's just the way I am. It is my one quirk, I can't stand visible tattooes. I don't know why, it the only thing that I have a "thing" about. Guys with long hair, motorcycles, dreadlocks, skin color......doesn't matter, but visible tattooes ....
    But that is me.....and yes, you may feel that is judgemental, but it is a quirk of mine. Just like some people can't stand redheads, think southerners are stupid, hate Germans because of the German history, etc.....everyone has their quirks and that's one of mine.
    Think what you want of me....I really could care less, just wanted to clarify my position.
    Tatoos do not bother me. Unless they are on the neck. I do not know why, but the neck and face bother me a LOT.
    Personally, piercings bother me more. When I did the hiring for a retail store I would not hire anyone with visable piercings (tongues were the worst some people can not talk without showing or playing with it.) or sleve tatoos. We had a very elderly customer base and would get complaints from the customers about the way the "young" folks looked. We had to be concerned about the customer base.
    If the store I was in was located in a different part of town, we could have hired a different group of employees.
    Yep... I agree... We get things like "Baby eater" and the like
    OMG...

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    And this, my friends, is WHY I do not have a tatoo.

To the OP. Get what you want. Just think about the future. My sister got a tatoo on her ankle and after just 5 years hated it. 10 years later she covers it and wants it removed so bad. It is only a Gecko... nothing bad. But she would have never done it if she could go back.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe how much discussion this has generated! Woohooo! I love it. Even though we all have different opinions, it's refreshing to read some intellectual (for the most part) debate!

In response to the "however many years from now when gravity kicks in" comments....

When I got the tattoo on my foot I got a lot of these types of cautions. And honestly, I don't care. I don't think too many people are going to be checking out the feet of an old lady in flip flops to begin with, and I'm not going to let it bother me if it turns into a blob. If I go ahead with the one on my side, it's even less of a problem - don't know too many women flashing bikkinis after the wrinkles come in.
    1998 CSR with family
    2000 DLR with family
    2002 CSR with family
    2004 WL grand gathering
    2006 day trip with boyfriend day after Christmas
    2008 BWI with family and boyfriend
    2009 21st B-day in Epcot with an assortment of family and friends :)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: