Quantcast From the Bus Driver Rumor

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default From the Bus Driver Rumor

OK, we just got back from a short stay and I have one rumor (rumour?) to spread/get confirmation of/have debunked...

On a bus ride back to the BWV from MK, our driver was being rather talkative. He started with the corny Disney jokes, then went on with some tidbits of park trivia and tips on Buzz Lightyear. Then he asked the riders if they were upset about the closing of PI clubs. Of course he got the moans and groans of those who enjoyed the venues. He gave a brief explanation of what is going to happen with the PI area, then he said something that made my ears perk up...

He said that ground had already been broken on a 300 acre Adults Only version of Downtown Disney. I believe he said it was very near Coronado Springs, but don't quote me on that - the initial shock of hearing that bit of information was still wearing off!

Does anybody have any more information on this, or is it just Bus Driver chit-chat?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard any rumors but when we stayed at CSR in Dec we did see a very large construction area a short distance away from the resort. The area was cleared out and it looked like they were getting started on some big project.
    Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    OK, we just got back from a short stay and I have one rumor (rumour?) to spread/get confirmation of/have debunked...

He said that ground had already been broken on a 300 acre Adults Only version of Downtown Disney.
    I hope this is true! Although I never had the chance to go to PI, adults only fun at WDW would be welcome. (Btw, its "rumor" unless you're British).

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsWDWfood View Post
    I hope this is true! Although I never had the chance to go to PI, adults only fun at WDW would be welcome. (Btw, its "rumor" unless you're British).
    us Brits always have to be different!!!
    Sequoia Lodge @ DLP 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 & 2015
    Hotel New York @ DLP 2007,2008 & 2010
    Newport Bay @ DLP 2014
    All Star Movies @ WDW 2006
    Pop Century @ WDW 2007
    Port Orleans FQ @ WDW 2009, 2011, 2013 & 2015

lockedoutlogic Guest

Rule Number 4 of the Walt Disney Handbook:

No hourly cast member - especially those operating Walt Disney World's convenient transportation system - EVER know anything about construction that hasn't been released to every other living soul on the planet Earth by Walt Disney Company's PR machine already. In fact, chances are they are the very last to know...just below all the management and most executives at WDW

not only is the source completely ridiculous.....they had never done well enough with pleasure island to justify ever building another one....certainly not after 5 years of steeply declining attendance in an atrocious economic climate.

but if i had to guess on what any alledged ground clearing near coronado could be...here's what i would guess in order:

1. A new third party resort/shopping area....similar to the flamingo crossing going up not far from there
    2. A new service area for one or several of the million WDW departments that most of us don't know anything about
    3. Perhaps....the third water park option that has circulated for some time....though near blizzard wouldn't make sense.
    4. A slight chance of the exclusive "Discovery Cove-esque" premium ticket gate. But I would give that a 0.000000001% chance given that the are already going to be way down on revenue for at least this year and probably a few more.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no need to guess, Disney put a press release out about the Western Beltway expansion (near 429) almost 2 years ago. They also announced the hotel construction near Fort Wilderness at the same time. Press release below.

Disney officially announces the Western Beltway expansion
    Mar 01, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., March 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Walt Disney World Resort today announced two new projects as part of an expansion plan for the resort in Central Florida: a new 900-acre luxury resort anchored by the prestigious Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts and a 450-acre retail, dining and lodging district on the western edge of the Disney resort. "These projects are first-of-a-kind for Walt Disney World and we are thrilled to be able to bring Four Seasons to our resort," said Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort. "Families around the globe know they can trust Disney to deliver magical experiences and Four Seasons to offer exceptional service and amenities. Combined, this is a huge win for devotees of both brands and for Central Florida," said Crofton.

VALUE-ORIENTED DESTINATION - MIXED-USE TOURISM DISTRICT
    On the western edge of the resort, Disney is planning a mixed-use tourist commercial district just outside Disney's gateway entrance. The master-planned development is comparable in size to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The project combines third-party branded lodging, retail and dining in a pedestrian-friendly environment and will be another example of Disney's commitment to unique placemaking. Located outside Disney's gateway around the interchange where Western Way meets the Western Beltway, early development plans include 4,000 - 5,000 low- to mid-rise, value-priced lodging units and 300,000 - 500,000 square feet of commercial space. Designed around a retail village, the development will become a convenient shopping and service center for Cast Members, nearby residents and Central
    Florida visitors. The project is currently in the design stage. Site work and branding is anticipated to begin later this year. The project will be built in phases over the next 8 - 10 years.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Jeez....

That's what this exciting rumor is about?

I thought everyone on earth new about that little slice of Kissimmee going up on the western gate.....

Though, I have to admit....i didn't think it was nearly close enough to be visible from inside of coronado.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were visible from existing WDW resort space, it would confirm some of the fears shared here that they're going too far with these things.

Post Thanks / Like

The adults only park that the driver was referencing is Disney's Night Kingdom, which has been being rumored to being created for about a year or so now. It's concept is a park that operates night hours only with a certain amount of guests admitted each evening. There has been nothing official announced about it and I highly doubt ground would be broken for it without an announcement.

It must be the Western Beltway expansion project that is happening near CSR.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    The adults only park that the driver was referencing is Disney's Night Kingdom, which has been being rumored to being created for about a year or so now. It's concept is a park that operates night hours only with a certain amount of guests admitted each evening. There has been nothing official announced about it and I highly doubt ground would be broken for it without an announcement.

It must be the Western Beltway expansion project that is happening near CSR.
    that night kingdom thing was....i'm 1000% sure....mothballed the minute the forecasts and the economy started to leak like a poorly built ****....

Nothing on the billion dollar scale (yes...they can't put up a mcdonalds without running the costs up to a billion) would ever be greenlighted now....no way

Post Thanks / Like

As a former WDW bus driver, I can absolutely guarantee that the bus drivers are the least likely source of accurate information about new Disney projects. Bus drivers get more breaks than the average CMs due to safety regulations about time spent behind the wheel. Therefore, they get to spend a lot of time in cafeterias and break rooms where a whispered rumor spreads like wildfire and takes on a life of its own. They are seldom (if ever) true.

The construction site near CS is most likely part of the Western Beltway Expansion. There are no known plans (not even among CMs) for an adults only Downtown Disney or a new gate for night time attractions.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I'll second Ron's info.

WDW's bus drivers, as a source of factual information, are second only to the proven accuracy of most television weathermen.

Great drivers, but very poor substitutes for a quality crystal ball.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Another common source for bus driver rumors is -- here!

(...and other web fan sites.)
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    On a bus ride back to the BWV from MK, our driver was being rather talkative. He started with the corny Disney jokes, then went on with some tidbits of park trivia and tips on Buzz Lightyear. Then he asked the riders if they were upset about the closing of PI clubs. Of course he got the moans and groans of those who enjoyed the venues. He gave a brief explanation of what is going to happen with the PI area, then he said something that made my ears perk up...
    This sounds like the same driver we had in 2001. Very interactive and knowledgeable about WDW.

Back then it was that by 2011 two new fullsize theme parks would be opening along with several new resorts.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
    Another common source for bus driver rumors is -- here!

(...and other web fan sites.)
    very true indeed

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Rumour/Rumor

It's also "rumour" if you're Canadian.
    Lisaj13
    Disneyland - Four times
    Disney World - Three times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisaj13 View Post
    It's also "rumour" if you're Canadian.
    It can also be called a "roomer" if the information is so bad people get up and leave the room. (In Britain & Canada spelled "roumer".)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    It can also be called a "roomer" if the information is so bad people get up and leave the room. (In Britain & Canada spelled "roumer".)
    eyev herd sum guud roomers hear!!
    " I'm Grumpy cause you're Dopey "

CSR MAR 2012
    POR Jan 2012
    WLR Christmas 2010
    CSR July 2010
    A S Sports- Agst 2009
    CBR - ESPN Weekend 2009
    CSR - ESPN Weekend 2008
    POR - Sept 2007
    YC - July 2006
    POR - Christmas 2005

GRUMPY DUDE

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Google maps, and find Western Way, then use the Street View feature to "drive" down to the very western end of Western Way, beyond the 429 interchange, when it ends at Hartzog Rd. and look around (west & north) and you will see the construction already started on the "Flamingo Crossings" development. (Satellite View pics are not recent enough to show it)

As has been discussed on these boards here: http://intercot.com/discussion/showt...ingo+crossings

and here:http://intercot.com/discussion/showt...ingo+crossings

. . . this is a shopping, lodging and restaurant complex, not a Theme Park or Disney Resort. And it cannot be seen from Coronado Springs Resort (it's about 3 miles away). It is technically outside the "gates" of WDW, although it is very close by.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadshome View Post
    us Brits always have to be different!!!
    Canadians are different too!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: