Quantcast Cali grill tips

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cali grill tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cali grill tips

I was wondering what peoples experience at the Californai Grill was like. We are trying it for the first time our next trip. I have planned our ADR around the Holiday wishes so hopefully we either get a table near the window or we will go to the observation deck. What are some of your favorite dishes from there? Anything that you didn't like that we should stay away from. We are on the DP so appetizers aren't included. Anything worth paying OOP for?
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've always enjoyed the beef filet and the molten lava chocolate cake. I would assume the menu has changed since we were there. Everything is wonderful. It's actually nicer to go out onto the observation deck for the fireworks, because they don't lower the lights completely in the restaurant. If you want to take pictures, going outside is a must so you don't get reflection from the windows. Have a great time. Its' a real favorite of ours.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Get ready for a great time..because that's what you'll get along with the outstanding food @ CG.
    To give you a idea of how much I like it I'm dining there 4 out of the 10 nights of my trip coming up in 2 weeks from tomorrow.
    I'm not kidding there's nothing on their menu that isn't AT LEAST exceptional.
    Even though on the reg DDP doesn't include apps if something catches your eye that is a app go for it..you won't be sorry. Yoshi at the sushi bar is one of the top sushi chefs in the country. Works of art are created there.

The main courses are wonderful..the Pork Tenderloin has been on the menu for years for good reason & the Beef Filet is consistantly so tender it can be cut with a fork.
    Deserts are spectacular too with the Butterscotch Creme Brulee being a fave of mine.
    The staff there, some of whom have been there for years are fantastic. For me it's like visiting old friends.
    If you're trying to get a window seat for wishes make sure you tell the CM @ check in. You may have to wait in the lounge for a window table to become availabe. The Obsevation deck is what I like..the view is super and the music is played out there too.
    Now you've got me all geeked again...have a great trip..I know I will!!
    WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982
    Twice a year (Feb & Dec) since 1984.
    Resorts: CR,BW,WL,AKL,YC,POFC,CB, FW & POP
    Next: Dec 1st thru 10th 2008
    This trip will be my 52nd..over 1yr of my life @WDW. Am I CRAZY??

Post Thanks / Like

I do recommend going outside for fireworks. It's great to stay at your table, but no matter how great the view from your table, it is even more amazing from the observation deck outside. As far as food, there was nothing I wouldn't recommend. The cheese plate, spicy sushi, and sonoma goat cheese ravioli-- all amazing. Our entrees, a beef filet and a red snapper dish, were phenomenal as well. I don't think you can go wrong here. Enjoy!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

we got a lot of food, i don't remember everything we had. but my finace had the sushi for an appetizer and says it's the best he's ever had. i honestly can't remember what my meal was, i looked at the menu and nothing looked familiar. but there were 4 of us in our group and everyone loved their meal.
    Disney World
    May 1995 - Off Site
    January 1998 - Off Site
    January 2001 - Off Site
    July 2001 - Off Site
    August - September 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    New Year's 2010 - POP
    May 2010 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

sushi & flatbreads are great. I prefer them to the entrees I think. Its too bad that the apps arent included on the DDP.
    but the entrees werent bad either.
    and the wine, sake etc are good too.
    the view is great
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Everything we've ever had there has been excellent. It's a wonderful place to dine.

We were there in October, and we got the most perfect window seat you could imagine (complete with Mickey confetti)! Watched Hallowishes from our table as our server delivered complimentary champagne for our anniversary! Ron (the server) told us to relax, and hoped we were in no hurry because he wanted to treat us like royalty that night. Well, he sure did. Complimentary dessert rounded out our 3 hour meal there (never did that before!).

I think probably every appetizer is worth paying OOP, but our favorites are the flatbreads (the mushroom is amazing, as is the BBQ chicken). I also love the goat cheese ravioli. Soups are always wonderful.

Have a great time! We can't wait to go back again!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you bring a jacket/sweater. It gets very chilly outside but it's so worth it. I like to snuggle with DH and watch the fireworks!!

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Natazu Guest

My Favorites: Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli, Triple Cheese Flatbread, BLT Flatbread, Long Island Duck Flatbread, Cheese Plate, Snake in the Grass, Oak Fired Filet, Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Banana Butterscotch Buzz

Worth Paying OOP for: Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli, a Flatbread, Johnny Walker Blue

Stay away from: the edge of the observation deck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post
    Stay away from: the edge of the observation deck
    Especially after an encounter with Johnny Walker.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add that if for some reason the timing for Wishes does not work out, save your reciept. You can show your reciept downstairs at the Cali Grill check-in and are allowed to go up to the observation deck to view the fireworks later in the evening!

We not do not fret about our timing for dinner anymore. After dinner we hang out and visit the Contemporary shops and take the kids to the arcade then head back up to the viewing deck for WIshes!

We too have an ADR at Cali Grill next month and we can't wait!! It is always a highlight of our trip. We take our kids (DD7, DS12 and DS14) and they too love getting dressed up and going to a "fancy" restaurant. My boys LOVE the woodfired pizza. The last time we were there they brought my DD Goldfish crackers when they brought out the bread for the rest of us. She thought that was too cool!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

For early summer months (May in particular) does anyone have suggestions for dining times to be able to see Wishes from your table near the end of your meal? Is 8pm too early of a dinner time?

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
    For early summer months (May in particular) does anyone have suggestions for dining times to be able to see Wishes from your table near the end of your meal? Is 8pm too early of a dinner time?
    Obtaining a Table with a view of Fireworks ©2004,2005,2006,2007,2008:
    Set your ADR for about 90 minutes before the fireworks.
    Show up about 15 minutes early
    Ask for a table by the lagoon so you can see the fireworks and tell the friendly CM you don't mind waiting.
    Works like a charm. (a good charm, not one of those cheap FOX knockoffs)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jym!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

We just returned from WDW today and ate at CG on Thursday night. We had the deluxe dining plan. We had a wonderful window seat that had a wonderful view of the holiday wishes - the best view I have ever seen of wishes.

I had an excellent salad with pears, cranberry and goat cheese while my boyfriend had one of the sushi appetizers. It was one of the best sushi selections either of us have ever had. I had the filet which was good but I think the filet at Jikos was a bit better. My boyfriend had the scallops which he thought was incredible. We also shared 2 desserts - butterscotch creme brulee and chocolate molten cake - both absolutely wonderful!

I highly recommend CG. We had a 7:30 reservation and were sat right on time. Holiday Wishes was at 9:30p and we were enjoying our dessert as Wishes started.
    Contemporary 10/82
    Polynesian 12/89
    Off-Site 2/02
    Port Orleans Riverside 5/02
    WL 2/03
    WL Concierge 10/03
    AKL 10/04
    WL 11/05
    WL Concierge 12/07
    WL- 11/08

Next trips
    WL - 11/11

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks every-one for all the great tips! I get hungrier and hungrier every time I read the responses. One more question. Has any-one ever gotten one of the sushie entrees? I am a big sushi fan and notice they have it both on the entree and appetizer menu. Is the entree portion a good size? Should I go for sushi as an appetizer then get something else for the entree? Thanks again for all of the advice and info. It is greatly appreciated!
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRollerMom View Post
    Thanks every-one for all the great tips! I get hungrier and hungrier every time I read the responses. One more question. Has any-one ever gotten one of the sushie entrees? I am a big sushi fan and notice they have it both on the entree and appetizer menu. Is the entree portion a good size? Should I go for sushi as an appetizer then get something else for the entree? Thanks again for all of the advice and info. It is greatly appreciated!
    The deluxe platters and the Snake in the Grass are huge portions. Yoshi is a world renowned sushi chef, not to mention quite a character. If you really love sushi, consider asking for a seat at the sushi counter. Sometimes they give you little surprises.

Post Thanks / Like

My DH liked the very spicy sushi on the menu..I don't remember what it is called, but you will know it when you read the menu. My husband loved it so much he spent some time chatting up Yoshi. Cali Grill is much more than good food, its a wonderful experience to be had. Have a terrific time! Bring a sweater, I remember feeling chilly during dinner.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    My DH liked the very spicy sushi on the menu..I don't remember what it is called, but you will know it when you read the menu. My husband loved it so much he spent some time chatting up Yoshi. Cali Grill is much more than good food, its a wonderful experience to be had. Have a terrific time! Bring a sweater, I remember feeling chilly during dinner.
    Spicy Kazan Roll...And yep Yoshi is a riot.
    1 week from tomorrow!!
    WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982
    Twice a year (Feb & Dec) since 1984.
    Resorts: CR,BW,WL,AKL,YC,POFC,CB, FW & POP
    Next: Dec 1st thru 10th 2008
    This trip will be my 52nd..over 1yr of my life @WDW. Am I CRAZY??

Post Thanks / Like

We tried the Cali Grill several times. Even when it was the former "Top Of The World" (who remembers that?). The only advice I can give you now, is...the view of Wishes is excellent. We videoed from the observation deck. And DSIL says they have the best sushi on property. Other than that, I recommend...somewhere else!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL