Quantcast New Dining Plan STINKS!!!! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henry.james.s View Post

With respect to posters who have negative feelings about Disney Dining because it didn't live up to their expectations it doesn't seem quite fair to say it "stinks".

Obviously there isn't anything that's perfect and we all want our experiences @ WDW to be as magical and perfect as possible but it is what we choose to make of it.

With all the information available here @ Intercot and other sites there's no reason you can't make an informed decision well before your trip IF any of the DDP's will work for you.

Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know our ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Buying a DDP is a choice, like anything else and nobody forced anyone to do it.
    Good planning & research is the key.
    Saying it "stinks" because it wasn't exactly what you thought it would be isn't really right.
    If it wasn't any good nobody would buy it. I know I wouldn't.

We all see things with different eyes.

But that's just my opinion.

Off my soapbox
    I pretty much agree...however, I did like the convenience of having the tip included in the old plan but its still a good value for us.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know our ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Absolutely. Planning, research is the key. If after doing the calculations based on your actual dining style it works out then yes go for it and it will be a deal. My point is always that do it being honest with yourself, would you really eat that much and should you eat that much. That's the only way to know whether it works or whether you just bought more than you would have without the plan (no savings then).

But yes, you are right, Disney is not hiding anything and we each have to work out what really works for us.
    Last edited by Polynesian Dweller; 11-18-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: missing bracket
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

lockedoutlogic Guest

The changes to the dining plan were to limit earnings of the servers.....

it was not at the behest of the food service workers union because of taxed wages.....

There is more than 30 years of history in labor relations at WDW that will show how one-sided any negotiations regarding pay and other benefits are....

To think that servers would ask to have a plan that practically guaranteed every seat to get 3 courses with at least an automatic 18% included is ludicrous.....

just think about it....

Post Thanks / Like

With respect to posters who have negative feelings about Disney Dining because it didn't live up to their expectations it doesn't seem quite fair to say it "stinks".

Obviously there isn't anything that's perfect and we all want our experiences @ WDW to be as magical and perfect as possible but it is what we choose to make of it.

With all the information available here @ Intercot and other sites there's no reason you can't make an informed decision well before your trip IF any of the DDP's will work for you.

Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Saying it "stinks" because it wasn't exactly what you thought it would be isn't really right.

Off my soapbox
    Bravo, well said!
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

We used the DDP in 06', when tip and appetizer was included. It worked out to be a good deal, we did eat a ton of food, but I loved all the new dining experiences it provided.

After reviewing the changes made, I decided not to go with the DDP for this year's trip. The numbers weren't adding up to a value for us and 9 times out of 10, I would prefer an appetizer to a dessert, just a personal preference for savory over sweet.

However.....I still think the DDP is a great thing and it worked it's intended magic on our family. Having experienced it once, it encouraged me to go ahead and make a daily ADR and try new places, and just brave it OOP.

For me the food is a huge part of the experience of the vacation to WDW and I will never go back to just Goofey burgers and hot dogs again.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

OK I had to throw my in of course lol.
    DBF and I did not use the DDP before the changes were made, so we never got to experience the app and tip thing but I will say that we first of all never eat app...very very rarely do we ever eat app....for desert I would say we actually eat desert more often than an app...tip we like that being at our cost for what we feel is deserved...not a forced amount that we have no control of.

Secondly, ok so very rarely do we eat all of the desert but we do get it and do try it....Sometimes if we are too full we will eat a little bit...Disney is "forcing" food down your throat to make you feel like"oh its so much food and I HAVE to it"...DDP in the long run may not save people hundreds of dollars....maybe a few here or there....but whats the difference between saving a buck or two or breaking even? IMHO its the convenience of it not being cash out of our pocket and not having to worry about where we can eat, what we can afford, how our budgets look mid-trip and have the question oh I really want the Steak at 30.00 but I can only eat a dish that costs 15.00....on vacation I dont like to have to "worry" or "think figures". Its a convenience to point of We dont have to think about anything. We make a reservation, we eat what we want and walk out the door stuffed and happy and worry-free.....Its a set price in our budget before we even get there, and save around it, and thats it done, fin-ee. Nothing to think about. As for the tip thing....its not that much out of pocket...and not that big of a deal...and I like having the freedom of tipping what I want and what I feel the waitress/waiter deserves...as for the "attitude" of the DDP...never ever have encountered that before. Some people frankly, just have an attitude problem period. I think going to WDW eveyrone has this wholier-than-though expectation of everyone that works there when frankly everyone is human and there are miserable mean and "attitudy" (if thats a word lol) people that work there in general, it happens...it happens everywhere...WDW might be magical...but its not exempt from some human-nature....I doubt it has anything to do with the DDP basically because they get tip based on performance...not the DDP and how much it cost you as the customer....I think its just a "conincidence" for some...they HAPPENED to be on the DDP...got atitude from a CM....coincidence...but thats IMHO....I am happy and comfortable and glad of our choice when it comes to DDP...especially that me and DBF not being rich....with that it is affordable we break even on what we spent on food the first trip and only at CS typemeals the whole time and now we have the freedom to eat at places that we would just walk by because we wouldnt be able to afford it other wise....IMHO

Im off my sorry lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

It "stinks" that Disney took the plan, removed one thing, added a charge and didn't reduce the price. We've used the DDP 2 trips before this one and LOVED it. Upon learning of the changes without reducing their price, I had to beg my husband to try it one more time. After the week was over, we cannot justify the cost now for what we get. It truly was a magical plan before. Now that they are scaling back, some of us who remember how it used to be are left with a bad taste in our mouth.

Just my
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
    It "stinks" that Disney took the plan, removed one thing, added a charge and didn't reduce the price. We've used the DDP 2 trips before this one and LOVED it. Upon learning of the changes without reducing their price, I had to beg my husband to try it one more time. After the week was over, we cannot justify the cost now for what we get. It truly was a magical plan before. Now that they are scaling back, some of us who remember how it used to be are left with a bad taste in our mouth.

Just my
    Disney was most likely netting nothing from the old dining plan.....and the servers were making out like banshees and earning 3X the managers.....

There's the nail in the coffin of the old dining plan.....two BIGTIME no-nos at WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Just my
    Again this is what planning is all about. You knew about the changes in the plan and it was your choice to still go with it. What the plans are and their workings are there for all to see and I for the life of me cannot see complaining about something like this after the fact when all the details are known ahead of time.
    It's not like buying a TV and having it blow up 2 weeks down the road..you can't know that's going to happen.

I remember what it used to be and liked the plan much better before the changes too..BUT I must give Disney the benefit of the doubt that they didn't take these changes lightly. Their costs increase like it does for eveyone else. They could have kept eveything the same and raised prices and some would complain about that too.

I also wish the Tiki Room never changed or the song in Carousel of Progress but oh well...

It is what it is and what you make of it.
    WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982
    Twice a year (Feb & Dec) since 1984.
    Resorts: CR,BW,WL,AKL,YC,POFC,CB, FW & POP
    Next: Dec 1st thru 10th 2008
    This trip will be my 52nd..over 1yr of my life @WDW. Am I CRAZY??

Post Thanks / Like

Again this is what planning is all about. You knew about the changes in the plan and it was your choice to still go with it. What the plans are and their workings are there for all to see and I for the life of me cannot see complaining about something like this after the fact when all the details are known ahead of time.
    It's not like buying a TV and having it blow up 2 weeks down the road..you can't know that's going to happen.

I remember what it used to be and liked the plan much better before the changes too..BUT I must give Disney the benefit of the doubt that they didn't take these changes lightly. Their costs increase like it does for eveyone else. They could have kept eveything the same and raised prices and some would complain about that too.

I also wish the Tiki Room never changed or the song in Carousel of Progress but oh well...

Very well stated. Its all about reading what's offered and planning in a way that you are being honest to yourself. We did that this year, didn't go with the plan, and were quite happy.

Oh, and many say that they don't like carrying money which is a 'benefit' of the plan. Well, we put everything on the room card so no real difference there.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

[*]Why should a 10 year old be expected to eat like an adult? Our 11 year old last month barely put a dent in her adult dinner. What a waste of food!!
    That's MY only big complaint. My nine year old eats for $11 a day, but a month later pays as much as my husband? Crazy. I'd prefer 3 levels - include a "junior" price for 10-14 or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    That's MY only big complaint. My nine year old eats for $11 a day, but a month later pays as much as my husband? Crazy. I'd prefer 3 levels - include a "junior" price for 10-14 or something.
    This is one thing that I absoutely agree with! There is no way my DD at the age of 10 would eat all that food, realistically on that plan she could have the ability to eat as much as DH . I guess when that time comes we will not do the DDP as it will be more cost worthy without it.

But as it stands, currently we are excited to do the DxDDP in Feb!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Off my soapbox
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own feelings, however with regard to the original post, I would say I agree. The new DDP does stink IMHO, and that is fair to say. We have used the DDP for the pst 20 years, including when it was still called the Golden Key Club. For people who enjoy signature rest. and good food, this new plan is not all it is cracked up to be. We enjoy the appetizers at every meal, especially for me, who has become very health conscious. I would much rather have a salad than a piece of cheesecake. I understand it is my right to pay for a salad, but I really enjoyed the all inclusiveness factor of the previous plan. Call me selfish, unfair, or simply practical, but I really enjoyed going to disney and not having to worry about "reaching in my pocket" once I arrived. We did usually tip over what was expected on the bill, but there was something to have it all included.

That being said, we continue to use the DDP because we do enjoy great food and great rest. on property. However, I do miss the old plan, and feel that in some ways Disney did what was more economically better for them. Charge us a dollar less and give us much less. But that my friends is why disney is so successful, they still get us to buy into their plan, although they give us less!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanymouse View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own feelings, however with regard to the original post, I would say I agree. The new DDP does stink IMHO, and that is fair to say. We have used the DDP for the pst 20 years, including when it was still called the Golden Key Club. For people who enjoy signature rest. and good food, this new plan is not all it is cracked up to be. We enjoy the appetizers at every meal, especially for me, who has become very health conscious. I would much rather have a salad than a piece of cheesecake. I understand it is my right to pay for a salad, but I really enjoyed the all inclusiveness factor of the previous plan. Call me selfish, unfair, or simply practical, but I really enjoyed going to disney and not having to worry about "reaching in my pocket" once I arrived. We did usually tip over what was expected on the bill, but there was something to have it all included.

That being said, we continue to use the DDP because we do enjoy great food and great rest. on property. However, I do miss the old plan, and feel that in some ways Disney did what was more economically better for them. Charge us a dollar less and give us much less. But that my friends is why disney is so successful, they still get us to buy into their plan, although they give us less!
    My responce..Just didn't want to type it again..

WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982

Post Thanks / Like

Would it not be better to say that DDP works for some families people and not for others?

I remember these same debates about the prior DDP. People would say that there was too much food (Disney removed the app) and people would say the service was bad because the waiter / watress knew they would get a 18% regardless of service provided (Disney allowed individuals to tip on their own).

If DDP does not work for you family, just don't use it. Our family loves it and hope it continues!!
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyFan View Post
    Would it not be better to say that DDP works for some families people and not for others?

I remember these same debates about the prior DDP. People would say that there was too much food (Disney removed the app) and people would say the service was bad because the waiter / watress knew they would get a 18% regardless of service provided (Disney allowed individuals to tip on their own).

If DDP does not work for you family, just don't use it. Our family loves it and hope it continues!!

Hear..Hear!! Well said.
    WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982

Post Thanks / Like

We still love the dining plan and I researched it before we got it and we certainly do not lose money...bottom line the convenience of being prepaid and not having to compromise on what I want to order is nice....yes its not as good a value as when the appetizer and tip was included but it still works for us and until it doesn't work for us we will keep using it....now, it would be nice if they let you choose between appetizer and dessert and I can see where some people with kids 10 years old having to pay as an adult and they still eat like a kid would be frustrating but still, do your homework and make your choice. No worries your at wDW

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Again this is what planning is all about. You knew about the changes in the plan and it was your choice to still go with it.
    Planning, that I am good at. I am educated, good with numbers and thoroughly analyzed the changes to the plan prior to accepting. I decided rather than to pass judgement prior to trying the new plan I would wait until afterwards when I could calculate the actual savings. That is only being fair to Disney and the new plan. That way my opinion is valid and based on fact. That is why I feel the plan isn't of value anymore - the negatives now out weigh the positives.

Either way I agree that DDP works for some and not others. And looking at everyone's posts, we all seem to agree it is unrealistic to expect 10 year olds (and some 10, 11 and 12 year old) to eat like an adult during their stay. This I feel Disney needs to re-visit.

I'd love a buffet-style dining plan that we could customize - you could add as many tables/counters you'd like. And each table could be with or w/o appetizers or desserts. But maybe this would become too complicated to keep track of....

Just brain storming, as I don't like to complain w/o a solution.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

This past trip was the first time that I used the DDP. I will say that I was very happy with it. I would agree that it would be nice to have tip and such included. I was very happy with all of the menus, and the service. I did see that each restaurant does some different things, but being a newcomer I felt that the servers were VERY informative about what was what. Overall I would give it a .
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belster View Post
    This past trip was the first time that I used the DDP. I will say that I was very happy with it. I would agree that it would be nice to have tip and such included. I was very happy with all of the menus, and the service. I did see that each restaurant does some different things, but being a newcomer I felt that the servers were VERY informative about what was what. Overall I would give it a .
    Glad to hear you had a wonderful experience with it. We will be there in Feb and have no doubt that we will love our first time with the dining plan!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: