Quantcast Using a Travel Agent???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using a Travel Agent???

Is there any real benifit in using an agent for booking a trip. I"m getting ready to book Jan 09 and was wondering others thoughts or comments on booking right through WDW or using a travel agent.

TIA for your comments.
    next...Jan 09 - TBD
    Oct 2007 - Pop Centry/AS Sports
    Jan 2007 All Star Movies
    DL May 2005 off site
    DL Season passes 1999 - 2004
    WDW once a year 2000 - 2004 all offsite
    WDW Honeymoon Sept 1999 GFL & W.Lodge
    Grew up in O-town, more day trips than I can count! :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used Magical Journey's for booking my last couple trips there and have had great service every time. They will go out and rebook packages if there are discounts that come out, if you book a package directly you would have to call disney back to get any reduced amounts. The agents can also answer questions and such if needed, and can usually be reached much easier that calling disney.
    Rob Hinkle
    28 Visits to the Magical Vacation Kingdom of Disney World and counting!

Next Trips -
    December 2010 - WDW - Contemporary
    January 2011 - WDW - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I always book directly through hwerever I'm going, cruises, trips to WDW, etc. There isn't a price difference between them usually, there is a commission added that either goes to the travel agent, or stays with Disney, cruise line, etc.

Since I have had a hard time find a good local TA, I just figured I would do it myself. Service these days seems to be an after thought, and when I found out how much commission is added to a lot of these vacations, I didn't think it was best to reward for bad service. If you do find a TA worth their salt, by all means use em.

Post Thanks / Like

i always use my local travel agent mainly for one reason.she knows if something goes wrong i'm coming home to see her personally.
    all of our trips have gone smooth as silk.i read some of the horror stories on these boards and often think that if my agent is getting a commision for me having a great time it's money well spent.we may try getting a quote from magical journeys this year just to compare on any savings but it would have to be significant dollars for us to change what has worked for us in the past.
    good luck.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to book everything myself until the wonderful people here on Intercot turned me on to Magical Journeys. Now, I let them take care of everything I need for our vacations - except airfare to Orlando.

I have crunched the numbers for each trip and somehow, Denise at Magical Journeys has found ways to better the best numbers I could come up with significantly.

Add to this the fact, as another poster stated, they will contact you if any discounts/upgrades/savings can be applied to your reservation. Also, there is no charge for partaking of their services.

To paraphrase an old commercial -- 'Try them, you'll like them.'

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'd ever book again without using Magical Journeys. I've used them the past few years and they're wonderful. If there are any discounts they will get them for you.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I always planned my own trips as I didn't want to give up control.
    Then in 2004 I was having an impossible situation so I thought, why not, and contacted Magical Journeys. Wendy came to my rescue and got me exactly what I had been trying to get without success.
    She has handled all our trips since then and I would not think of going any other way. As someone else said you are aware of any new savings available the instant they are made available.
    Our trip next month will be the 7th in a row she has handled for us.
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Previous trips, I just booked myself. However, for my upcoming trip in June, I used Wendy at MJ. She's wonderful! I just got an email yesterday about the upcoming discount, which saved me hundreds of dollars. Wendy had already updated my reservation, so all the leg work was done

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I ever use a travel agent is when we book WDW not using our DVC points. Karen at MJ has always gotten us the best prices. I don't have to worry about watching when the discounts are coming out.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We used AAA last time and do not feel i received much value add, i booker direct this time.
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a travel agent to book a trip for WDW--never really thought about going about it this way. Good luck on planning your trip.
    Magic Kingdom 1980 (Polynesian)
    MK and Epcot 1983 (Off site)
    MK and Epcot 1986, 1987, 1988 (Off site)
    MK, Epcot, Disney Studios 1995 (Off site)

Post Thanks / Like

I usually handle everything myself but this time I used Terrisue at Magical Journey's. SHE WAS AWESOME.

She made the entire process unbelievably EASY and she kept her eyes open for specials.

I don't know when we'll be able to go again but I will DEFINATELY use Magical Journey's again.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I'd highly recommend using Magical Journeys for your Disney trips.

Magical Journeys is the only travel agency I will use! I've used other travel agents over time and have mostly found them annoying! They never think of me again after I've booked the trip unless I hound them (i.e. I find a better price and ask them to rebook me at the better price - easier to do myself!)

On the other hand, Magical Journeys always keeps my reservations handy and updates my resevervations with better deals even before I know they're available! Fantastic folks! Terrific service!

You won't regret it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

It seems as if posts have been referring to two different things (if I understand correctly)

1) a travel agency (such as AAA) will normally charge a fee to book your travel

2) a Disney-authorized vacation planner normally (but I could be wrong) like Magical Journeys does not charge a fee to book your travel b/c they get a commission from Disney for selling their product (hotel, packages, etc).

Also - in our experience - a planner like Magical Journeys normally knows WDW better b/c that's all they do (or it's their specialty). As a result - most AAA agents won't automatically apply a discount to help you save $ - you have to call and request a code to be applied.
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

Authorized Disney Vacation Planners do not charge a fee. Their commission is paid by the vendors, not the client.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I used to book things myself, but now we use Wendy at MJ. She has booked 2 trips for us now and we are very happy with her. Magical Journeys is different than a regular travel agency. Like previous posters mentioned they do not charge you a commission and since Disney is their specialty they know their stuff. Best of all once you book you don't have to worry about whether or not you got the best price. MJ will monitor discounts and will let you know if a discount has been released that might apply to you. We had a horrible experience with a local travel agent many years ago and that taught me to take charge of my own reservations. I never would have tried MJ if not for all the wonderful feedback I saw from these boards. When so many people are raving about it, you figure it must be good, and it was.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Debbie at MJ for every trip. I know some places' customer service has declined but definitely not at MJ. I promise you that Debbie earns every single cent she makes with me as a client-- she should make more, I'm sure.

Could I book it myself? Sure, but I'd have to try to apply discounts later and poss spend hours on hold. It's nice to have a little backup in case things go south, too (not that I've had that happen but I know MJ would help if possible). Plus, silly as it sounds, it's really fun to have someone else in on the planning with you.
    ~~Julie~~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: